Penske vs. Hendrick

Fordracing7

2018 Pick em Champion
Forever everyone was saying Hendrick this and Hendrick that...we all know they set the bar but look at the numbers. For example the two car team now has five wins compared to the four car team at six wins. The Penske boys also have four poles compared to one. Gibbs is coming back, but right now I believe Team Penske is the team to beat.

The two top guys at Hendrick have a combined 158 wins. That alone is an insane statistic, and you want to throw that away to say that Penske is now the top team because Brad has now tied Jimmie in number of wins for one season? :biggrin:

i'm not a team this team that guy.. but I would still give the edge to Team Hendrick. For one, Hendrick has his own engine team and Within that, six drivers are in the chase at the moment. Penske gets his engines from someone else. Second, The horsepower Hendrick has shown is still superior to Team Penske.

I do think Brad is one of the most talented drivers in the garage though.

The two top guys at Hendrick have a combined 158 wins. That alone is an insane statistic, and you want to throw that away to say that Penske is now the top team because Brad has now tied Jimmie in number of wins for one season? :biggrin:

Yep lets all pick against Jimmie Johnson, completely forgetting how dominant he was a whole 3 weeks ago :rolleyes:. Every single year Jimmie has a couple week rough stretch and everybody picks against him. Then he will rattle off a couple more wins right before the chase and set sail. I agree brad is his biggest challenger for the cup, but I'll never bet against chad and Jimmie, and Chevy for that matter

If you want to talk about ancient history, Richard Petty Motorsports has 275 wins.

This sport is all about "what have you done for me lately".

i'm not a team this team that guy.. but I would still give the edge to Team Hendrick. For one, Hendrick has his own engine team and Within that, six drivers are in the chase at the moment. Penske gets his engines from someone else. Second, The horsepower Hendrick has shown is still superior to Team Penske.

I do think Brad is one of the most talented drivers in the garage though.

Penske does get his engines from somebody else. But he has a full engine shop of his own. I have wondered if he has his guys check out the engines. For a two car team, he is outperforming the larger teams. Champion year before last and a contender this year.

Penske does get his engines from somebody else. But he has a full engine shop of his own. I have wondered if he has his guys check out the engines. For a two car team, he is outperforming the larger teams. Champion year before last and a contender this year.

I don't think Penske can touch them per his lease. This is a handling advantage IMO. What will be fascinating is when we get to Indy to see if the Penske corner off is enough to beat Hendrick to the next corner, or if Hendrick has that much grunt that they can make up any deficiency (compared to Penske) in corner off. You put three TRD Toyotas in the Top 10 in Practice/Qualifying, you have a major step by TRD. Toyota has never been good there. Gonna be fun.

2 car.... 3 poles, 6 top 2's and 12 top 5's qualifying out of 19 races. Tied for most wins and way ahead of the 48 in qualifying. 48 car... 1 pole, 1 top 2 and 8 top 12's. The Penske's are up on power AND handling.

its very very difficult to tell a motor difference just by watching. a handeling advantage makes the car look like its got a strong motor. or even a different driving style can make it seem like that. the 2 car was huge rolling through the center. thats all handeling. he could pull a half car length just rolling through the corner.

2 car.... 3 poles, 6 top 2's and 12 top 5's qualifying out of 19 races. Tied for most wins and way ahead of the 48 in qualifying. 48 car... 1 pole, 1 top 2 and 8 top 12's. The Penske's are up on power AND handling.

Yeah, but not up on the other Roush's. IMO leased engines are not cracked or open to independent tuning. I did say, "opinion", so if you have something else, let me know. I am always open to learn. It would be hard for me to believe that Doug Yates would be okay with anybody screwing with his motor without his knowledge. What the Penskes have in center turn is freakin' amazing. I only know that the TRD pieces are not touched.

its very very difficult to tell a motor difference just by watching. a handeling advantage makes the car look like its got a strong motor. or even a different driving style can make it seem like that. the 2 car was huge rolling through the center. thats all handeling. he could pull a half car length just rolling through the corner.

I agree....and maybe it's not just outright horsepower......In all honesty, I don't think that the Hendrick bunch had a ton on the TRD Toyotas last year--even when TRD dialed it back--but their power delivery was so very different. Top end quicker and for longer resulted in a big terminal speed advantage. Indy will show a lot IMO.

Doesn't really matter if some think it is handling or horse power, you have to have both and the thread was about Hendrick and Penske. And last time I checked, the #2 Penske car is tied for wins with the best Hendrick, and is out qualifying them also 19 races in.

Brad dominated at Pocono so I don't see a big drop-off coming at Indy. Pretty similar tracks.

Brad dominated at Pocono so I don't see a big drop-off coming at Indy. Pretty similar tracks.

Yeah, I was thinking that myself, but Pocono has the 2nd and 3rd turns where lots of time can be lost or gained--particularly Turn 2. I think that Indy is the definitive place in terms of car handling + power. I think that given Brad and Jimmie for example neck and neck during a lap, you will see Brad take the lead center off Turn 1, increase advantage center off Turn 2, JJ pull even or ahead entry Turn 3, Brad evens up entry Turn 4 and beats JJ off corner, drag race to the line, and they are even IMO. Wally Dallenbach pointed out that big horsepower can offset some of what is lost in handling as tires fall away. This would give Hendrick the advantage overall. Should be fascinating.

Last edited:
Yeah the down on power thing doesn't make much sense to me like it does to some, last years news. The Fords got to change the nose for better aero, that helped the speed, but the Penske cars have really put on the performance compared to the other Fords.

Yeah, I was thinking that myself, but Pocono has the 2nd and 3rd turns where lots of time can be lost or gained--particularly Turn 2. I think that Indy is the definitive place in terms of car handling + power.
Turn 2 at Pocono is the one that's modeled after Indy. If Penske is getting through the short chutes in two weeks as well as they were at Pocono and as well as they've been handling in general they'll be awfully tough.

Turn 2 at Pocono is the one that's modeled after Indy. If Penske is getting through the short chutes in two weeks as well as they were at Pocono and as well as they've been handling in general they'll be awfully tough.

You are correct. It will be very interesting.

Yeah the down on power thing doesn't make much sense to me like it does to some, last years news. The Fords got to change the nose for better aero, that helped the speed, but the Penske cars have really put on the performance compared to the other Fords.

Ford's nose was for cooling only per Ford. Yeaaaaah right. :bsflag:

I already know who will win Indy.:biggrin:
images

Now I remember why I stay away from NASCAR.com. The comments on the article about this claim Penske has gotten IndyCar's push-to-pass technology past NASCAR's tech inspection.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And NASCAR fans wonder why they get **** on by IndyCar and F1 fans?

I don't think Penske can touch them per his lease. This is a handling advantage IMO. What will be fascinating is when we get to Indy to see if the Penske corner off is enough to beat Hendrick to the next corner, or if Hendrick has that much grunt that they can make up any deficiency (compared to Penske) in corner off. You put three TRD Toyotas in the Top 10 in Practice/Qualifying, you have a major step by TRD. Toyota has never been good there. Gonna be fun.
If I was RoushYates, I would tear down every leased engine they got back from Penske, just in case any modifications were made.

If I was RoushYates, I would tear down every leased engine they got back from Penske, just in case any modifications were made.[/quote]

Me too, so I could figure out how they made that dang car go that fast.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And NASCAR fans wonder why they get **** on by IndyCar and F1 fans?

If I was RoushYates, I would tear down every leased engine they got back from Penske, just in case any modifications were made.

You don't think that they do?

Brad didn't win with horsepower. That was painfully obvious when he was racing the 24 and 42. He was beating them into, thru, and out of the corners, yet they pulled away and got it all back on the straights. I think Chevy has a 20 to 30 HP advantage over Ford right now.

Back
Top Bottom