Pit Gun Issues

D

Dspence48

What do you guys think about all these pit gun issues so far this year? I think NASCAR should go back to letting each team design their own gun.

The team that has howled the most about it (JGR) just so happens to be the one that had their advantage removed (their proprietary air gun design). Coincidence, huh? SHR has whined a good bit as well, but Harvick is in a perpetual state of bitching about the pit crew. I really think it has become a convenient boogeyman since NASCAR mandates it. Screw up in the pits? Must have been due to that darned NASCAR issued pit gun!

The teams need something to complain about. It is a convenient target that is similar to Goodyear when there is a tire issue. The teams and the driver always blame the tire but never share that they were running the tires with a camber angle or a tire pressure outside of what Goodyear recommends doing.

9-1668-2.jpg

It's fun to hear Roush bitch about JGR. Jack spends a lot of time talking about things other than his team's performance.

It's fun to hear Roush bitch about JGR. Jack spends a lot of time talking about things other than his team's performance.
He's done that for years.

I don't think teams should build their own guns. They put a lot of money into them and the teams are in a cost-cutting mode now. Going back to guns that are 3 grand a pop isn't the answer.

The team that has howled the most about it (JGR) just so happens to be the one that had their advantage removed (their proprietary air gun design). Coincidence, huh? SHR has whined a good bit as well, but Harvick is in a perpetual state of bitching about the pit crew. I really think it has become a convenient boogeyman since NASCAR mandates it. Screw up in the pits? Must have been due to that darned NASCAR issued pit gun!
It’s just so far this year multiple teams outside of SHR and JGR have been burned by a pit gun issue. Which costs them their race because they have to come back down pit road. I don’t mind the pit gun rule but NASCAR needs to put a little more research and development into their out gun before issuing it out to the teams. So Until they can fix the issues with the pit gun I think teams should be able to use their own guns so that it won’t cost them a good finish in a race.

He's done that for years.

I don't think teams should build their own guns. They put a lot of money into them and the teams are in a cost-cutting mode now. Going back to guns that are 3 grand a pop isn't the answer.
Why not? if having a good gun insures better pit stops, faster ones, that could mean the difference of finishing first or tenth.

I still don't think the issue is with the guns themselves. I'm still of the opinion that the changers have trained themselves to such
a short time on each lug that the muscle memory is taking over. To slow down the amount of time on each lug is going to take some
relearning by those muscles.

The changers are like gymnasts with muscle memory. You do something so many times in training and competition that the muscles take over for the brain. You don't think, you just DO.

It’s just so far this year multiple teams outside of SHR and JGR have been burned by a pit gun issue. Which costs them their race because they have to come back down pit road. I don’t mind the pit gun rule but NASCAR needs to put a little more research and development into their out gun before issuing it out to the teams. So Until they can fix the issues with the pit gun I think teams should be able to use their own guns so that it won’t cost them a good finish in a race.
Every team has had issues with their own pit guns including JGR. They never blamed the guns because they owned and built them.
Maybe Nascar could allow each team to service the guns provided to them and then check them to make sure they have not been altered.

Hopefully I can get the summer tires on the car soon - still waiting for the average temp to hit 45 (the magic number for summer/winter tires).

You don't find it interesting that the issue is only happening to less than a handful of teams? The rest seem to be getting along just fine with the NASCAR issued equipment. I guess that Goodyear and NASCAR have it in for JGR. They seem to have teams that get the tires you can see the air in and guns that don't work. :rolleyes: At least that what their drivers want us to believe.

I still don't think the issue is with the guns themselves. I'm still of the opinion that the changers have trained themselves to such
a short time on each lug....
I agree with @TexasRaceLady and so do Chad Knaus, Andy Petree, and numerous other Nascar insiders. Most of the problems are operator error because the changers are stabbing each lug with the same rapid motion they used when the costly custom guns guns turned much higher RPM's. Now the spec guns turn slower, so greater dwell time is required.

It's like when fuel flow restrictions are mandated with slower fuel nozzles. If you don't keep the nozzle in the car longer, the tank won't be full. Big time racing... it is a contest of skill... it ain't supposed to be easy.

Every team has had issues with their own pit guns including JGR. They never blamed the guns because they owned and built them.
Maybe Nascar could allow each team to service the guns provided to them and then check them to make sure they have not been altered.
That could be a way for the teams to have some ownership of the pit guns

I agree with @TexasRaceLady and so do Chad Knaus, Andy Petree, and numerous other Nascar insiders. Most of the problems are operator error because the changers are stabbing each lug with the same rapid motion they used when the costly custom guns guns turned much higher RPM's. Now the spec guns turn slower, so greater dwell time is required.

It's like when fuel flow restrictions are mandated with slower fuel nozzles. If you don't keep the nozzle in the car longer, the tank won't be full. Big time racing... it is a contest of skill... it ain't supposed to be easy.
I just don't see the point in having guns that don't spin faster. There were a ton of areas Nascar could of cut costs, IMO they screwed the pooch on this. The idea is to have a quick pit stop not slow it down.

I just don't see the point in having guns that don't spin faster. There were a ton of areas Nascar could of cut costs, IMO they screwed the pooch on this. The idea is to have a quick pit stop not slow it down.
I think the idea is to have the manpower work the best with what they have, NOT who can build the best gun. Back in the day when pit stops where 15 seconds, it was just as exciting.
Maybe with everything just being faster and faster is not the way to go, after all it seems interest is waning as everything gets faster.
Stock car racing was exciting because many people had the opportunity to go to the local tracks and then work the way up. Chances of anyone breaking into Nascar today at any position is beyond the norm.
I also don't watch hockey anymore because the chances for a local Canadian boy to make it to the NHL are so slim. I live near Cochrane, home of the great Tim Horton.

Tee shirts, jeans, street shoes and a don't give a crap attitude.

I don't think it was a matter of not giving a crap, they just didn't know how and didn't have the technology to DO it faster. It's like blaming the Wright Brothers for not breaking the sound barrier. Back in the 70's, there was no 15 pound 1 pump racing jacks and high speed air guns. Go back a little further, and you still had to put the lug nuts on the studs by hand. I worked with a couple of guys that learned how to do pit stops back when the tire carriers still just rolled the tire in front of the tire changers and the CHANGER picked up the tire and put it on the hub. It was really hard for them to try to adjust to the more modern way of doing things.

I don't think it was a matter of not giving a crap, they just didn't know how and didn't have the technology to DO it faster. It's like blaming the Wright Brothers for not breaking the sound barrier. Back in the 70's, there was no 15 pound 1 pump racing jacks and high speed air guns. Go back a little further, and you still had to put the lug nuts on the studs by hand. I worked with a couple of guys that learned how to do pit stops back when the tire carriers still just rolled the tire in front of the tire changers and the CHANGER picked up the tire and put it on the hub. It was really hard for them to try to adjust to the more modern way of doing things.
I didn't mean that they didn't care about their job. That would be ridiculous. I meant about the consequences of the dangers they faced. I spent a lot of time with crews and drivers in motel parking lots, beer joints, restaurants, pits etc back in those day's.

Go back a little further, and you still had to put the lug nuts on the studs by hand.
I wonder who invented the current system of long studs with the un-threaded portion, and gluing lug nuts to the wheel? I wonder how long they had that advantage to themselves, and if it helped win a race or two?

I was wondering why some of them sounded like Daffy Duck

NASCAR did them a favor. Gas distributors are raising helium prices again just as they are allocating supply in the face of another helium shortage.

Back
Top Bottom