Pit road speed

wi_racefan

Team Owner
Anyone else think it's time we go away from the timing lines and go to some form of GPS speed measurements? The technology is definitely there why are we not using it? It would make it a lot more black and white, you break the speed limit anywhere you're busted. None of this I was too fast entering the segment so I slowed down coming out of it.

It's just such a game with speeding up coming into your box and going around corners.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anyone else think it's time we go away from the timing lines and go to some form of GPS speed measurements? The technology is definitely there why are we not using it? It would make it a lot more black and white, you break the speed limit anywhere you're busted. None of this I was too fast entering the segment so I slowed down coming out of it.

It's just such a game with speeding up coming into your box and going around corners.

Yep. And that's the fun part of it. You'd probably see half the number of penalties if we just went to a speed-based system. I like pit road as it's one of the few parts left in this sport where there's still tons of variability and room for error/mistakes.

Only change I want to see to pit road is that a 45mph limit means 45mph without the 5mph buffer NASCAR allows.

Initially I felt like I agreed with the OP. but thinking it over, I like the reckoning back to simpler times in what we have now.

I'm personally not interested in pit road speed drama. To me those violations are more of a nuisance and have resulted in a bad ending to a good day way too many times.
I believe in the not too distant future we will see NASCAR go to a controlled system that limits the pit road speeds remotely.
The technology is there. It's just a matter of implementation.

If GPS was used on short tracks where pits are located on the corners, there would be an advantage to cut the corner which would put pit crews at risk. I think the #2 team discovered you could accelerate into the pit to game the timing lines because you don't trigger the 2nd line (I forgot how they put a stop to that). The 5 mph buffer is silly to me, 50 mph doesn't mean 54.999999 to me.

What would change? Its still time over distance, speeding will still occur in segments or if you time a line from the start of pit road to the end.

What would change? Its still time over distance, speeding will still occur in segments or if you time a line from the start of pit road to the end.
You'd just do it live. No time over distance, no timing lines. At any time you exceed the speed limit no matter where or for how long its speeding.

You'd just do it live. No time over distance, no timing lines. At any time you exceed the speed limit no matter where or for how long its speeding.

So what are you eliminating?

If GPS was used on short tracks where pits are located on the corners, there would be an advantage to cut the corner which would put pit crews at risk. I think the #2 team discovered you could accelerate into the pit to game the timing lines because you don't trigger the 2nd line (I forgot how they put a stop to that). The 5 mph buffer is silly to me, 50 mph doesn't mean 54.999999 to me.
The next time you are stopped for speeding 4.999999 over the limit and the officer says he is going to let you go...tell him you think that is just silly. Just kidding. :D

Just to be clear, speed is always measured by time over distance.

It's just a matter of what distance is used to associate with a given time, whether it's the distance between timing lines or a fraction of an inch measured by a GPS.

Just to be clear, speed is always measured by time over distance.
Some speed is measured in grams.

jeremy-mayfield.jpg

Not to mention if we went to a GPS system we wouldn't have to wait to check the video when the caution comes out on the last lap.

Seriously a sport that uses lasers to measure car bodies is trying to determine the winner by viewing several different camera angles?

Not to mention if we went to a GPS system we wouldn't have to wait to check the video when the caution comes out on the last lap.

Seriously a sport that uses lasers to measure car bodies is trying to determine the winner by viewing several different camera angles?

I have no problem with that. It's pretty cool to see a stage win or a finish when the camera coupled with ultra slow motion show the winner clearly to everybody

I have no problem with that. It's pretty cool to see a stage win or a finish when the camera coupled with ultra slow motion show the winner clearly to everybody
At the start finish line it's easy. Not when the caution comes out and the cars are on the backstretch with no camera on a fixed point waiting for them to cross it.

At the start finish line it's easy. Not when the caution comes out and the cars are on the backstretch with no camera on a fixed point waiting for them to cross it.

You do understand that all of the cars have transponders that pinpoint where they are on the track.

You do understand that all of the cars have transponders that pinpoint where they are on the track.
I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that the transponders only measure when they cross a scoring/timing loop. That's why when it gets messed up or a car gets the free pass they have to go around everyone to pass the leader and to end of the line in order to keep the counts correct. If that wasnt the case why wouldn't they just have them fall to the back of the field and say they're back on the lead lap? And why do they always go back to the last scoring loop when caution comes out (if it's not the last lap)?

You’re working hard.

They complete every lap, including wave-around laps, for a very obvious reason. Fuel consumption ... or do you prefer to do away with race strategy?

Your original question was about why don't they go to GPS system. A GPS system isn't that accurate

Your original question was about why don't they go to GPS system. A GPS system isn't that accurate
I don't know if I can agree with that one StandOnit. I think the ELD we installed in the hauler a few years ago showed the speed the truck was traveling off of GPS and it was always spot on with what the truck speedometer was reading...unless maybe it got it's info from the trucks computer through the wiring harness. I know it had to have GPS because it would show what the speed limit was on each stretch of highway you would be traveling on.

I don't know if I can agree with that one StandOnit. I think the ELD we installed in the hauler a few years ago showed the speed the truck was traveling off of GPS and it was always spot on with what the truck speedometer was reading...unless maybe it got it's info from the trucks computer through the wiring harness. I know it had to have GPS because it would show what the speed limit was on each stretch of highway you would be traveling on.
They are good to 20 feet or so. That isn't accurate enough for car spotting but good for a speedo or locations.

The reason to use transponders tracking positions at track segments vs a GPS system isn’t accuracy (that’s laughable) it’s cost. F1 uses a 20hz GPS system to track their cars, among many other features that the GPS offers data for. The most expensive commercial use GPS you can find usually only has an output of 1hz of data. NASCAR is in cost cutting mode and thousands of dollars for a GPS system isn’t on that radar.

The reason to use transponders tracking positions at track segments vs a GPS system isn’t accuracy (that’s laughable) it’s cost. F1 uses a 20hz GPS system to track their cars, among many other features that the GPS offers data for. The most expensive commercial use GPS you can find usually only has an output of 1hz of data. NASCAR is in cost cutting mode and thousands of dollars for a GPS system isn’t on that radar.
I have no idea what you think is funny about it. That is a little over 13 feet.

The United States government currently claims 4 meter RMS (7.8 meter 95% Confidence Interval) horizontal accuracy for civilian (SPS) GPS. Vertical accuracy is worse. Mind you, that's the minimum. Some devices/locations reliably (95% of the time or better) can get 3 meter accuracy. For a technical document on that specification you can go here.

I just so disappointed that Nascar doesn't have the urgency and vision of the Internet and that they are blind to the simple solutions

Nascar just needs to fix this with a PES (pit escalation system).
During a pit stop the driver would pull onto his checker plate PES pad and it would scissor lift the car up two stories to the pit stop floor. Real fast with 5g lightning speed.
This would keep the crews safe and restore the beauty and organicisms that occur from watching a CHAPR (cars haulingass on pit road).

I just so disappointed that Nascar doesn't have the urgency and vision of the Internet and that they are blind to the simple solutions

Nascar just needs to fix this with a PES (pit escalation system).
During a pit stop the driver would pull onto his checker plate PES pad and it would scissor lift the car up two stories to the pit stop floor. Real fast with 5g lightning speed.
This would keep the crews safe and restore the beauty and organicisms that occur from watching a CHAPR (cars haulingass on pit road).
can we use the scissor lifts after the race for the trophy queens?

Back
Top Bottom