Pocono 3 Turns?

K

Kevin Baker

So at a regular oval track, the drivers drive into Turn 1, and exit from Turn 2, drive into Turn 3 and exit from Turn 4. Why at Pocono do the drive into Turn 1 and exit Turn 1, drive into Turn 2 and exit Turn 2, drive into Turn 3 and exit Turn 3?

Thanks,
Kevin

I agree, but it seems silly to say Martinsville has 4 turns? It only makes sense at Indianapolis to say there are 4 turns

So at a regular oval track, the drivers drive into Turn 1, and exit from Turn 2, drive into Turn 3 and exit from Turn 4. Why at Pocono do the drive into Turn 1 and exit Turn 1, drive into Turn 2 and exit Turn 2, drive into Turn 3 and exit Turn 3?

Thanks,
Kevin
They are just trying to be different and sticking to the "tricky triangle" moniker.
I agree, but it seems silly to say Martinsville has 4 turns? It only makes sense at Indianapolis to say there are 4 turns
Its not silly when you are setting up that race car.

I heard a radio call from Moody yesterday during Bubba's crash and he referred to the exit of turn 1 as turn 2. Probably a slip up in the moment but it just shows how most of us are trained to think.

Thanks,
Kevin
I've heard drivers ask the same question. It's one of those 'Because' things.

Reactions: sdj
most tracks should have only 2 turns. the whole 1 and 2 3 and 4 thing when its the same turn I have never understood. I think the reason they do it is because of Indy being really the first oval track. that track does have 4 turns. pocono has grown on me over the years. its a track I seem to like more and more.

Well on that logic tracks like Atlanta, Charlotte, and Texas would have 4 because you would count the 2 dog legs as different turns.

All of the tracks but Pocono have long sweeping turns instead of 3 quick turns. I think that factors into it as well as it's easier to keep up with where cars/accidents etc are.

Back
Top Bottom