Points Maybe????????

71Fan

Points could figure in Stewart-like incidents, Helton says
By DAVID POOLE
The Charlotte Observer

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. - No points were deducted from Tony Stewart following last week's altercation with a photographer at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but NASCAR president Mike Helton says that doesn't mean points penalties can't be used for an off-track incident.

"Whether it's on the track or in the garage area, it still could be a situation that could be points," Helton said Saturday at Watkins Glen International. "It doesn't have to be something we find on the car or something that happens on the race track.

"If we feel it's detrimental to the sport, we can go any way we want to the same way we can on any other deal."

NASCAR has already deducted points from Jimmie Johnson and Dale Jarrett for infractions found on their cars this season. Helton again said he believes that it's part of NASCAR's role to police competitors' behavior in the garage area.

"We're in a time where we ask to be considered a professional sport and we need to act like one," he said.

We're in a time where we ask to be considered a professional sport and we need to act like one," he said

Can we use this back at Helton for the red flag/ yellow flag issuses NASCAR seems to have?

That I would disapprove of.

Fines and all are one thing, so be it. Point deductions, IMHO, should be reserved for things which affect or may affect the outcome of races only. Non racing related issues should not change the racing standings.

On the other side of that coin, I suppose a suspension would drastically alter the points standings as well. Still to me there is a difference between that and an outright points deduction.

Gotta agree with hardscrabble on this one. As I usually do.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom