Practice vs No Practice

Nitro Dude

Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance
Since yesterdays race went pretty good without any practice and they proved they can do it. I was just wondering what some of the fans opinions are on this subject. Do you think they would ever make this a norm for cost savings if it keeps going without any major problems and what are your opinions if they decided to? I have to admit I thought it was kind of exciting not knowing how they were going to handle the start of the race and watching them on the first few laps feeling the cars out and then giving feed back so changes could be made on their first pit stop. I think it put a little more importance on a driver to be able to figure the car out early so they could make the correct changes early instead of just being a steering wheel holder. You could sure tell the ones that hit it right and the ones that didn't after the first stop.

Reactions: sdj
It surprises me but I don't feel strongly either way. Practice and qualifying stats are often useful for fantasy purposes, and they prop up the TV contract by providing some programming to the networks. But as noted, it appears the drivers can do a pretty good job without them (Stenhouse excluded, of course).

-IF- weekly practice is dropped, I'd like to see a return to allowing teams to test several times a year. I'd also like to see the scheduled non-competitive competition caution dropped. Start them with only half a tank, let the chiefs decide when they want to come in, and let them make all legal changes including tires and fueling.

It surprises me but I don't feel strongly either way. Practice and qualifying stats are often useful for fantasy purposes, and they prop up the TV contract by providing some programming to the networks. But as noted, it appears the drivers can do a pretty good job without them (Stenhouse excluded, of course).

-IF- weekly practice is dropped, I'd like to see a return to allowing teams to test several times a year. I'd also like to see the scheduled non-competitive competition caution dropped. Start them with only half a tank, let the chiefs decide when they want to come in, and let them make all legal changes including tires and fueling.
The Wrecky Stenhouse situation was 100% caused by the lack of practice. Not actually for him but for the last 20 place cars with several NEW drivers that had NEVER turned a lap on this track. The pack checked up and Wrecky went low to avoid them. Wrecked himself. I still think ESPECIALLY at this track no practice is stupid. Same for Atlanta & Talladega. Sending a pack of untested cars into a 200 mph first corner is ridiculous.

It worked great for Darlington and will work all week. But long term? They have cut practice times to just about nothing already. 2 hours isn't very long to try different setups. It is more like making sure your setup already works and shaking down the car. Some teams don't use the second practice for much more than qualifying runs but it is there for teams still hunting for a decent setup. Got to have it IMO for the younger drivers to get a feel for the track. I like Charlie's idea of dealing with a green track. Give them half a tank and the driver and crew chief can decide when to come in. I think the present way of doing things is to cover GoodYear's ass..too much safety IMO.

The Wrecky Stenhouse situation was 100% caused by the lack of practice. Not actually for him but for the last 20 place cars with several NEW drivers that had NEVER turned a lap on this track. The pack checked up and Wrecky went low to avoid them. Wrecked himself. I still think ESPECIALLY at this track no practice is stupid. Same for Atlanta & Talladega. Sending a pack of untested cars into a 200 mph first corner is ridiculous.
no bud, that was Stenhouse trying to win the race on the first lap.

No practice is an advantage for race teams with greater financial and engineering resources.

HMS was a good example of that yesterday.

I feel the same as far as taking or leaving it. I thought about the loss of tv time for sponsors but then I also figured that cutting the cost of racing means they can cut the amount of sponsorship money needed to compete. I think there are pros and cons for everyone involved. I definitely think that qualifying should be back as soon as possible.

I feel the same as far as taking or leaving it. I thought about the loss of tv time for sponsors but then I also figured that cutting the cost of racing means they can cut the amount of sponsorship money needed to compete. I think there are pros and cons for everyone involved. I definitely think that qualifying should be back as soon as possible.
They have shortened teams stays at certain tracks also along with less practice times. They can probably cut more of they had too, but like you say at the cost of sponsorship money.

Sorry KTMLew01, I normally agree with most of your posts but I don't on this one. imo That is not a good excuse for Wrecky crashing. Everyone else knew that there would be a lot of checking up and they took the needed precautions to avoid problems. He even said that he was embarrassed by what he did and that he can't wait until he gets back there on Wed to try it again. He didn't say a word about lack of practice causing himself to wreck. There is a reason he has the nickname wrecky and that is the same reason I picked him about 2 weeks before this race to be the one that crashed early.

The lack of practice doesn't matter with this high downforce, low horsepower ****. Very few cautions yesterday, almost no Darlington stripes, nobody running on the absolute ragged edge. I would've thought they were racing at Richmond or Kentucky if the broadcast booth didn't keep reminding us they were at Darlington.

Let's just be honest, the cars are easier to drive now.

I personally prefer more practice both as a viewer and attending fan.

From a competition standpoint it definitely favors some more than others, it was obvious Harvick was going to be the class of the field as they've been unloading fast off the truck for the last 6 years or so. Teams like the 9 typically need the course of the weekend to make their car better unless they're at a place like The Glen, Bristol or Martinsville (excluding superspeedways), and that too was obvious yesterday as it took them until the last quarter of the race or so to get in the same ballpark.

The lack of practice doesn't matter with this high downforce, low horsepower ****. Very few cautions yesterday, almost no Darlington stripes, nobody running on the absolute ragged edge. I would've thought they were racing at Richmond or Kentucky if the broadcast booth didn't keep reminding us they were at Darlington.

We were watching the same race, right?

I was watching the in car cameras on the drivers, I gotta hit the BS button on easier to drive, the front pack were sawing the crap out of the steering wheels to keep up with the car. Didn't anything about it look easy to me.

I think I’ll listen to drivers and teams on the importance of practice.
That is what I did before this race. Some where in one of the threads around here I think I put a link to an interview where Bowman said that not practicing shouldn't be a problem because it would just be like a practice/qualifying rainout week.

That is what I did before this race. Some where in one of the threads around here I think I put a link to an interview where Bowman said that not practicing shouldn't be a problem because it would just be like a practice/qualifying rainout week.
The veteran Bowman? :lol2:
I think Matt is a good example of how someone can overcome a lack of practice. Not everyone is Kenseth.
Stenhouse certainly could be an argument for the value of practice.

As a fan that likes to watch practice , I hope it stays.

I think there is still value in practice for both driver and car/team.

The veteran Bowman? :lol2:
I think Matt is a good example of how someone can overcome a lack of practice. Not everyone is Kenseth.
Stenhouse certainly could be an argument for the value of practice.
I don't know who said Bowman was a veteran, but he is far from a rookie and he must know something about racing. What he said turned out to be spot on for yesterdays race anyway. As far as Stenhouse...I explained my thoughts about him in post 11. :)

There was 1 incident that could be attributed to lack of practice. That being said, said incident was a driver going 4 wide at Darlington.

If they couldnt hold it together for the first pit cycle I’d see otherwise, but they are professionals. They’ll do fine without practice.

I don't know who said Bowman was a veteran, but he is far from a rookie and must know something about racing. What he said turned out to be spot on for yesterdays race anyway. As far as Stenhouse...I explained my thoughts about him in post 11. :)
The fast guys are always gonna win.

As a fan that likes to watch practice , I hope it stays.

I think there is still value in practice for both driver and car/team.
I agree and I don't want to see anything cut either. Even though I was excited to see them run yesterday with no practice I don't want it to be a norm. I'm one of those guys that watches every minute of any NASCAR programs if possible. I just wanted to get other fans opinions on it....because you never know , it could happen in the future.

Last edited:
I would like to see 30 minutes of rookie practice for guys who have never been there before and 30-60 minutes of practice for everyone.

There is a place for practice but 2-3 hours of it every race weekend is too much, imo. NASCAR has done a good job cutting it down the past few years.

You complaining about practice is ridiculous.

If it's on, I'll watch. If it isn't, I have other things I should be doing besides watching the Tube.

Weren't the networks going to move P and Q behind a paywall?

This comment concerns only overage, not whether practice should be held at all.

Here is my suggestion...one hour practice and the only one that can make adjustments on the car is the driver. Would be interesting as to whom or who would do well with that, would it not?

That way, the crew would have to set the car up before hand, and then social distance until the race itself.

I personally prefer more practice both as a viewer and attending fan.

From a competition standpoint it definitely favors some more than others, it was obvious Harvick was going to be the class of the field as they've been unloading fast off the truck for the last 6 years or so. Teams like the 9 typically need the course of the weekend to make their car better unless they're at a place like The Glen, Bristol or Martinsville (excluding superspeedways), and that too was obvious yesterday as it took them until the last quarter of the race or so to get in the same ballpark.
The 88 and the 48 and the 24 were in the ball park, the 9 sped on pit row early and gutted his self. At least Elliott had most of the race to get back what he lost and he did. The 48 wrecked himself leading the race, the 24 was done in by his pit crew and the 9 and the 88 finished in the top 5. Hell of a showing for Hendrick who hasn't been knocking it out of the park for a very long time. But yeah I agree, the Chevys are new cars and they are going to drive a bit differently, and new drivers in the series and drivers driving for different teams could use practices.

No practice is an advantage for race teams with greater financial and engineering resources.

HMS was a good example of that yesterday.

I disagree. Practice or no practice the same top tier teams are always going to be up front. I prefer them racing on no practice. It keeps the teams on their toes for setups and hopefully they guess right. If not too bad, work with what you have and make it better or try to win on strategy. These drivers and crew chiefs are professionals they don't need practice.

I disagree. Practice or no practice the same top tier teams are always going to be up front. I prefer them racing on no practice. It keeps the teams on their toes for setups and hopefully they guess right. If not too bad, work with what you have and make it better or try to win on strategy. These drivers and crew chiefs are professionals they don't need practice.
and that brings up something like the top 12 don't get to practice and 13th on down from there can. Call it the lucky 13 spot. :)

and that brings up something like the top 12 don't get to practice and 13th on down from there can. Call it the lucky 13 spot. :)
And drivers already in the playoffs don't get to practice either. Or drivers who are mathematically eliminated from making the playoffs. Or drivers who aren't running for Cup points. Or Kyle Busch.

Lol I like that, no practice for Kyle Busch ever!!

• Love
Reactions: sdj
I agree and I don't want to see anything cut either. Even though I was excited to see them run yesterday with no practice I don't want it to be a norm. I'm one of those guys that watches every minute of any NASCAR programs if possible. I just wanted to get other fans opinions on it....because you never know , it could happen in the future.
I am too one of those guys, well, I no longer watch pre race shows unless its a night race( I like to sleep in ).

It was still interesting to see how the teams did without any on track practice.

Get rid of practice altogether and shorten the length of the first 2 stages by half. I think no practice provides for better racing, plus having a long final stage will feel more like a 300-mile race which is what a lot of fans prefer. First 2 stages act like practice sessions.

Get rid of practice altogether and shorten the length of the first 2 stages by half. I think no practice provides for better racing, plus having a long final stage will feel more like a 300-mile race which is what a lot of fans prefer. First 2 stages act like practice sessions.
I too am for shorter stages if stages are here to stay. Give the longer stage the chance to have green flag stops.

Back
Top Bottom