Pre-Race: 103rd Running of the Indianapolis 500

Discussion in 'Open Wheel Racing' started by FLRacingFan, May 14, 2019.

1. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Entry list (Kyle Kaiser and Oriol Servia have since been announced for the #32 and #77)

Full schedule

Much of the programming is behind the Gold paywall, so the actual TV schedule is:

Timing should still be available throughout practice this week: https://racecontrol.indycar.com/

DUN24 likes this.
  2. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

3. DUN24

DUN24 Skeptical of the Spectacle

#Yesitsfuckingmay

4. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Yikes, $39.99 for NBC Sports Gold and there's no monthly option or option to cancel after the 500.

Is there an entry list for the Freedom 100?

5. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Yeah, some of the new TV deal was not fleshed out as well as it could've been IMO. I don't think they have any international streaming option for practice at all anymore, even. Compared to the YouTube/Facebook streams of the past.

I haven't seen a Freedom 100 entry list yet but at least Jarett Andretti and Chris Windom are competing as one-offs.

6. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

Qualifying for the Indy 500: for those who don’t find Daytona 500 qualifying confusing enough.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  7. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

I think something is missing from your post? :idunno: :salute:

8. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

9. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Indy gets everyone eventually. Bad start to the week for McLaren.

gnomesayin likes this.
  10. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

11. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

see if they need to go to a backup car..that's a good one. That car is a hot mess.

gnomesayin and FLRacingFan like this.
  12. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

I'm glad it wasn't worse than that.

FLRacingFan and StandOnIt like this.
  13. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

14. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Essentially two lost days for McLaren. Ouch.

15. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

I doubt the tub survived this one.

16. rd45usa

rd45usa Team Owner

Pucker factor 10++

FLRacingFan and Clutch like this.
  17. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

IndyCar Gold doesn't seem bad, $39.99 total isn't expensive, but they should allow payment options.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  18. rd45usa

rd45usa Team Owner

Sounds like a lot fans are very upset with NBC Sports/NTTIndycar for putting practice behind paywall and no way to watch in Europe.

FLRacingFan and gnomesayin like this.
  19. Hotrod

Hotrod Team Owner

You guys are on point with all your posts on news events at the track. Thanks for that.
    These were a couple of big hits today. Alonso is a tough cookie. Glad he is ok. I still remember
    him in a mangled wad of a car at I think it was at an Australian F1 opener a few years back.
    2016 I think.

rd45usa, FLRacingFan and gnomesayin like this.
  20. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

It's good for the dipsh!t like me that goes out of their way to watch IndyCar practice from Detroit, but there needs to be something better in place for the Month of May, when the broader racing community wants to tune in and watch practice and qualifying. Matt Weaver and some other journos made some good points on this on Twitter earlier.

NO international streaming option when Mark Miles is talking out his ass about racing in Abu Dhabi, Brazil, Australia, wherever, is absolutely inexcusable. Oh, don't forget about the international stars showing up either...I'm sure no one outside of America wants to follow Fernando Alonso's performance at Indy this week.

I can't wait until 2025 when NBC wants to go all-out and hold everyone hostage with an IndyCar Pass, a Supercross Pass, a NASCAR Pass...

gnomesayin, AuzGrams and rd45usa like this.
  21. rd45usa

rd45usa Team Owner

22. rd45usa

rd45usa Team Owner

23. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

gnomesayin and rd45usa like this.
  24. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

I would have preferred ABC/ESPN if Allen Bestwick was the announcer full time

LewTheShoe and FLRacingFan like this.
  25. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Another big one. Not sure we've had this many heavy impacts in practice in a while.

26. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

27. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

They will have more HP tomorrow through Sunday. :D

Whenever the new engines debut - I'm not convinced they'll come in 2021 - I imagine the superspeedway power levels will still be kept in check to a larger degree. Indy, Texas, and Pocono are obviously already dangerous enough as is. The biggest difference will be on the short ovals and road courses/street circuits, I believe.

gnomesayin likes this.
  28. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

This NBC Sports Gold isn't the answer.

One of the things that got me addicted to the Indy 500 was coming home from school and watching Indy 500 practice on ESPN. Weeks of seeing that built up a spectacle and I was hooked on it. I'm kind of disappointed by NBC so far this year.

While I'm on it, I'm not on the "Bring back SPEED" thing because there are so many alternatives now ... but Daytona Speedweeks isn't the same with FS1.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  29. AndyMarquisLive

If NBC Sports Gold carried all the races, it'd be a good deal. Instead, it's paying a crapton of money for practice and qualifying and still needing YouTubeTV for the races.

If they put the Olympics behind a paywall, I'm going to be pissed. America is the only country in the industrialized world that has to pay tons and tons of money to watch this stuff. Also, on top of paying significantly more than the rest of the world, we also get commercials that the rest of the world by and large doesn't have. Just like we have to pay tens of thousands a year for crappy healthcare.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  30. rd45usa

rd45usa Team Owner

McLaren did not make it out today.

Hotrod, FLRacingFan and gnomesayin like this.
  31. rd45usa

rd45usa Team Owner

FLRacingFan likes this.
  32. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Alonso's done 96 laps. Basically got the refresher program done, and hasn't run since early Wednesday. McLaren apparently don't know how to even put a DW12 together - the primary car that had all of the electrical gremlins on Tuesday was the car built at their base over in the UK. Now they lose a full day trying to put another car together. Not trying to be dramatic, but I think they're going to be pretty close to the bubble, if not squarely on it, come late Saturday.

https://racer.com/2019/05/16/mclaren-looking-to-rebound-after-serious-setback/

gnomesayin, Hotrod and LewTheShoe like this.
  33. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

34. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

The three I will never forgot.
    They cover it all. Great racing, loaded with all the raw glory and trajedy.
    Words will never be enough to express the profoundness of it all....

The first link is from 1973. Forty six years ago and I still think about Swede Savage's wreck.

35. rd45usa

rd45usa Team Owner

smdh.....

FLRacingFan likes this.
  36. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

Exactly. It frankly makes sense to milk a niche fanbase with extra content throughout the season. But Indy and the month of May are different, and are the entire sport's best opportunity for wider exposure and growing the tent. They have to overcome this exclusive impulse for short-term $$$ and try to hook anyone who is curious.

rd45usa and FLRacingFan like this.
  37. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Absolute last thing this team needed to happen is this. I’m not sure they’ll make it out for qualifying tomorrow.

And way too many of these wheels are coming loose. Tethers don’t seem to be helping this week.

rd45usa, Kiante and gnomesayin like this.
  38. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Glad Kyle is okay first off. Juncos knew what he was getting himself into. I'm certain they have another tub prepped. At least, I hope they do. They have been fast all weekend.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  39. AndyMarquisLive

I really feel like NBC blew a huge opportunity here. I thought NBC would put more into this. I mean, nobody broadcasts major events better than NBC Sports. I expected to see at least some sort of practice coverage on NBCSN or something.

Have they been blowing it up on the NBC networks? I haven't actually watched any traditional television in weeks.

rd45usa likes this.
  40. rd45usa

rd45usa Team Owner