Pre-Race - 105th Indianapolis 500

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
E1nsSKlWQAEXLjN

E1NbaRDWUAAO4Ku

As much as I love any form of auto racing, I have to admit NASCAR is the only motorsport that I follow hardcore. I don't typically watch open wheel on a regular basis, but I look forward to the Indy 500 as much as anything. The Sunday before Memorial Day might just be my favorite day of the entire year.

I'm somewhat surprised/disappointed to see that Jimmie won't be racing? I took a quick glance at his first few races this year, and it looks pretty rough on paper.

As much as I love any form of auto racing, I have to admit NASCAR is the only motorsport that I follow hardcore. I don't typically watch open wheel on a regular basis, but I look forward to the Indy 500 as much as anything. The Sunday before Memorial Day might just be my favorite day of the entire year.

I'm somewhat surprised/disappointed to see that Jimmie won't be racing? I took a quick glance at his first few races this year, and it looks pretty rough on paper.
Road courses only

Yeah now that you mention it, I think I recall hearing that would be the case earlier this year. I just assumed he would want a chance to run the 500 and it would be a priority, but I guess not.
FWIW, he’s said in the past few weeks he’s aiming to do an oval test later this season to check the feasibility of a run in 2022. He mentioned Chandra’s encouraging him to try one out now that he’s gotten a better feel for the car and the safety of it. I’d probably be more surprised if he didn’t run next year.

The 1982 Indianapolis 500 is one of my favorite racing memories.

Gordon's last pit stop entry and exit was perfect like some type of art and he beat Mears who was seemingly much faster.

Gordon Johncock was badass, he lost teammate Swede Savage in 1973 while winning that 500 too.
He lost a former teammate Gordon Smiley while qualifying for the 1982 and still won that 500 as well.
I don't want to cheapen the tragedies of loosing those two drivers, they were horrific crashes that are impossible to forget.

But Johncock was still rugged and knarly enough to drive like the badass that he was still after it all in the 1982 500.
He knew just how horrible it all could be in the blink of an eye.
The context can't be missed he had to be aware of all those things but he still got up on the wheel and made one of racings most classic moments. Those things made the drivers bigger than life to me when I was growing up.

I'm starting to worry about Carlin.

Gallagher, long-time sponsor of the team, is no longer on the car or the hauler:

Not good, Chilton's Dad stepped down from Gallagher not that long ago... Supposedly Gallagher was on a three year deal and it recently expired. Maybe its a good thing as well as the team gets to chug along. Hopefully they are able to attain more sponsorship in the future. I would like to see Carlin's vision of giving young, international drivers a chance in IndyCar if F1 is not an option.

RLL Garage Cam feeds.

Trackside with Curt Kavin & Kevin Lee.

Last edited:
I bet a version of The Danica Pace Car will be sold in certain stores, maybe a diecast also
I wouldn't be surprised to see a die cast in the future. This might draw in a few of her old fans also. It will bring a few of her old haters out of the woodwork too but I doubt that will bother her much. I sure miss when Indy was the month of May.

First real incident of the week with Ferrucci’s car sustaining significant damage. He had to be helped to the truck by a couple of safety crew guys afterwards, didn’t seem like he could put pressure on his left leg/ankle.

Idiocy. I'm not a diehard Indycar follower (can't easily put a car or # to a driver) but the yellow car in this instance could have easily been destroyed. I've said it many times before, but I'm sure the next major motorsports fatality will occur at the Indy pit wall entrance. That thing is a death trap waiting to happen

Marco’s 233.491 last year was the fastest lap set on Fast Friday since Luyendyk ran a 239.260 in ‘96. Maybe we can hit 234 today.

Got up to a 240.359 trap speed (Herta), 233.302 one-lap speed (Dixon), 231.863 no-tow one-lap speed (Rossi).

I'd be concerned if I were Chevy, they're getting their asses kicked up and down the track again so far. It wouldn't surprise me if the Fast Nine shootout was all Honda and the Last Row shootout was all Chevy.

Crazy how far Indy 500 has dropped in regard to TV coverage. Supposed to be on NBC right now but nope. Some foreigners crawling around on the ground fighting over a ball.

Back
Top Bottom