Pre-Race Thread for CMS'S The Roval

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
1728343761900.png

38 Cup entries for Charlotte road course. 13-vanGisbergen 15-Grala 16-Allmendinger 66-Bilicki

1728343827978.jpeg

We moved from being 2.25 hours away from CMS to 3.75. So this year, instead of this being a day trip, I got a hotel. Darling Bride decided that if I was going to do that, she'd tag along to her first Roval race. She did the C600 a couple of decades ago when we took her brothers.

This is a race that any of the 4 HMS teams could win if they can stay out of trouble and not have any mechanical failures.
Yeah, well, watched the replay from last year, WE were fast as hell in practice and qualifying. Need to execute, and WE will be in the mix. Larson ate the wall in practice. It's going to be fun. I love the Roval.

Lol anyone who says that corner wasn’t put there specifically to cause shenanigans is lying to themselves

I'm not sure what you've got there. What's labeled as 'New Roval' is the old configuration they've run on for the last six years. What's labeled 'Old Roval' is the originally proposed configuration but they never raced on that layout. For the layout they'll run this weekend, look at the 'Old Roval' and connect turn 5 directly to what's labeled as turn 8 as a straightaway with no turns 6 or 7.

I'm not sure what you've got there. What's labeled as 'New Roval' is the old configuration they've run on for the last six years. What's labeled 'Old Roval' is the originally proposed configuration but they never raced on that layout.
I'll do some more digging then. I typed in new roval and that is what the goog gave me.

You missed the 'New' version. It came before your 'Newest and had only one of the two chicanes. I don't remember which one was originally included and which one was added soon afterward. Either way, like the 'Newest', it was proposed but never raced.

You missed the 'New' version. It came before your 'Newest and had only one of the two chicanes. I don't remember which one was originally included and which one was added soon afterward. Either way, like the 'Newest', it was proposed but never raced.
Yeah, I knew I was one version light, I got tired of looking. But it's interesting the changes. Almendinger said the test version didn't have the chicane on the backstretch. Like 180 out of 4 down to almost nothing to get thru the chicane on the front stretch yikes.

One thing about it. The latest Roval version has the fastest infield. Going thru there 2 wide on restarts is going to be something to watch.

Goodyear Fast Facts — Charlotte ROVAL​

GOODYEAR TIRE NOTES
NASCAR Cup Series – Race No. 32 – 109 laps / 248.5 miles
Charlotte Motor Speedway (2.28-mile roval) – Concord, N.C.

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Road Course Radials

Set limits: Cup:
2 sets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 8 sets for the race
(7 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)

Tire Code: D-5252 (same on all four tire positions)

Tire Circumference: 2,279 mm (89.72 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front — 26 psi; Right Front — 28 psi;
Left Rear — 20 psi; Right Rear — 20 psi

Storyline – Charlotte roval rounds out wide-ranging road course schedule: The NASCAR Cup Series schedule has visited a diverse group of road courses in 2024, from the well-designed Circuit of The Americas to the street course in downtown Chicago and the technical Sonoma Raceway to the high-speed Watkins Glen International. These teams now take on the Charlotte roval, which combines a couple chicanes, a slower-speed section in the infield and the majority of the track’s oval. Cup teams have some familiarity with this tire, having run it at both Sonoma Raceway and the Chicago street course this summer.

Notes – Cup cars on Sonoma/Chicago tire on Charlotte roval: Being on an 18-inch bead diameter tires, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the Xfinity Series on the Charlotte roval this week . . . compared to what Cup teams ran at this course last season, this tire features a construction update and more tread thickness . . . these teams have run this tire on two road/street courses already this season – Sonoma and Chicago . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars do not run inner liners in any of their tires.
Wet Weather Tires – Goodyear brings white-lettered “wets” to Charlotte roval: Goodyear will bring its 18-inch wet weather radial tires to the Charlotte roval for the NASCAR Cup cars, should NASCAR determine that conditions warrant . . . Cup teams will have a maximum of 6 sets of wet weather tires for the event . . . NASCAR Cup teams last ran the wet weather tire in competition at Chicago in July . . . in addition to the obvious difference of a tread pattern versus Goodyear’s dry weather “slick” tires, the “Goodyear” and “Eagle” lettering on the sidewalls of the wet weather tires is white, not the standard yellow.

My son who is 9 and a new NASCAR fan and I are headed to Charlotte Sunday for our first ever race. No tickets yet, anyone in here with extras for sale? My son gets a $10 kids ticket at the gate so would be looking for a pair. Any tips for us newbies from you cagey vets?

Back
Top Bottom