1635163270198.png

Sunday, October 31, 2021

2:00pm/et
1635163359594.png
1635163382052.png

(STAGES 130/260/500 LAPS = 263 MILES)

.526 mile asphalt/concrete oval
First Cup Race: 1949
All Time Cup Wins: Richard Petty (15) Most Current Cup Wins: Denny Hamlin (5)
The NASCAR Cup Playoff Semi Final Round of 8 concludes with this week's trip to the Paper Clip, Martinsville Speedway. At the checkered flag of this week's race, only 4 drivers/teams will be left racing for the 2021 NASCAR Cup Championship. The menu not only calls for Martinsville hotdogs but its also no holds barred as only one driver has clinched a spot in the Championship Round which leaves 7 drivers alive battling for a championship, 3 currently in on points to secure the invitation to The NASCAR Championship 4. Who will dodge the Half Mile of Mayhem and come out with a Grandfather Clock as their trophy of spoils.........and whose time will be up in the 2021 Playoffs?

Last edited:
Will be there
I've been given green light to get tickets by the wife. I'm really debating where to sit. Clay Earles Tower off 2 is tempting due to pit road battles. How high up do I have to be to see entire track? I'm also looking at Blue Ridge sections O and P, like row 55. Only down side I've heard there is it's a hike to get to restrooms. Any advice from people who frequent the paperclip? What's the minimum row height to see whole track?

I've sat in 2 at the concrete walkway level and seen all but a small section of 4. (Dad's hip issues prevent him going up or down stairs.) Sit six or eight rows up from there and you'll be great.

We've also sat in 4 but you're in full sun most of the race. Stick to the 1-2 end if possible.

Incidentally, if they haven't declined, the parking and shuttling for disabled fans is some of the best managed of the dozen or so Cup tracks we visited

Avoid the hot dogs like you would a rabid pit bull with an ear infection.

Last edited:
I've sat in 2 at the concrete walkway level and seen all but a small section of 4. (Dad's hip issues prevent him going up or down stairs.) Sit six or eight rows up from there and you'll be great.

We've also sat in 4 but you're in full sun most of the race. Stick to the 1-2 end if possible.

Incidentally, if they haven't declined, the parking and shuttling for disabled fans is some of the best managed of the dozen or so Cup tracks we visited

Avoid the hot dogs like you would a rabid pit bull with an ear infection.

The race is at the end of October and will be on the chilly side, sitting in the sun can be a good thing.

Cross your fingers that tornadoes in the area tonight don't damage the track.

I've been given green light to get tickets by the wife. I'm really debating where to sit. Clay Earles Tower off 2 is tempting due to pit road battles. How high up do I have to be to see entire track? I'm also looking at Blue Ridge sections O and P, like row 55. Only down side I've heard there is it's a hike to get to restrooms. Any advice from people who frequent the paperclip? What's the minimum row height to see whole track?

I just looked up my tickets from when I went a few years back. We were in Turn 1, section BB, row 21, seats 31-32, and they were perfect.

20180326-093637.jpg

I just looked up my tickets from when I went a few years back. We were in Turn 1, section BB, row 21, seats 31-32, and they were perfect.

20180326-093637.jpg
Awesome. As I looked at tickets, I got the sense that I didn't really have a green light. The wife and kids were "willing" to go, but I could tell they didn't want to. Being a 2 hour drive on a good day, she didn't want to get home after 10 on a school night so it'll be crappy tv coverage for me. :confused:

NASCAR has a real marketing opportunity with this race, the championship stakes, and it falling on Halloween weekend. Let’s see if they capitalize.

Awesome. As I looked at tickets, I got the sense that I didn't really have a green light. The wife and kids were "willing" to go, but I could tell they didn't want to. Being a 2 hour drive on a good day, she didn't want to get home after 10 on a school night so it'll be crappy tv coverage for me. :confused:
Still go but ask some buddies to go with instead.

I get your point. It's also in your eyes and makes it difficult to see.
We always sat in the Petty section, just before the flagstand. Sometimes it was so hot you had to put a wet rag out of the cooler around your neck, then when the sun went behind the grandstands, break out the hoodies.... I was there when Gordon won his final race, it was almost dark at the end.

Have you ever been to a half mile track? Not being snarky here, just saying sitting up high is really not a major requirement. It's hard to believe the same cars that run Michigan can run a track that's 4 times smaller

Ditch 'em and go solo. I do it all the time.

Have you ever been to a half mile track? Not being snarky here, just saying sitting up high is really not a major requirement. It's hard to believe the same cars that run Michigan can run a track that's 4 times smaller
Yes. I went to Martinsville several years ago for truck race and cup practice. I sat start finish line about 25 rows up and it was great, but those aren't available (obviously). I just get really anal when picking seats.

Most of seats have views where all you can see is a few hundred yards directly in front of you. At least 2 miles of the 2.5 mile track is out of spectators' sight. Those don't fit my definition of 'good seats'.

Most of seats have views where all you can see is a few hundred yards directly in front of you. At least 2 miles of the 2.5 mile track is out of spectators' sight. Those don't fit my definition of 'good seats'.
I have a feeling that DRS3's point was that just being at a live race is extra exciting so there are no bad seats. But you are right there are a lot of pretty bad seats...and Indy does have a large share of them. :)

Goodyear Fast Facts — Martinsville​

OCTOBER 26, 2021 AT 11:24 AM

NASCAR Cup Series — Race No. 35 – 500 laps / 263 miles
NASCAR Xfinity Series – Race No. 32 – 250 laps / 131.5 miles
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series – Race No. 21 – 200 laps / 105.2 miles
Martinsville Speedway (0.526-mile oval) – Martinsville, Va.
Fast Facts for October 30-31, 2021
Tire:
Goodyear Eagle Short Track Radials
Set limits: Cup: 9 sets for the race; Xfinity: 5 sets for the race; Truck: 5 sets for the race
Tire Codes: Left-side — D-4948; Right-side — D-4950
Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,221 mm (87.44 in.); Right-side — 2,250 mm (88.58 in.)
Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front — 10 psi; Left Rear — 10 psi; Right Front — 23 psi; Right Rear — 22 psi
Storyline – Racing on the short track that goes a long way toward crowning NASCAR champions: All three of NASCAR’s national series are in action at Martinsville Speedway this weekend, all with an eye toward setting the final four drivers to contend for a championship the following week. Running so late in the season in Virginia, there is always a chance that the weather could be cold, which makes it more difficult for Martinsville’s concrete corners to take rubber. Goodyear designs its tread compounds to do just that in all weather conditions, thus allowing the corners to take rubber and create a second lane up the track for drivers to be competitive in. The other challenges at Martinsville – the relatively long straightaways, tight corners and lack of banking — require a specific tire construction to handle the hard braking and acceleration the cars experience.
“This playoff race at Martinsville is run here in late October so we expect that the weather may have turned cool in southern Virginia,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “Laying rubber in the concrete corners in the cold is something we’ve worked on over the past several years, and we have come up with a formulation that does that, as well as work for the spring race. We adjusted the tread compounds last season at Martinsville to not only lay rubber but to give the cars more grip. The other key element of the tire is the construction, which we also updated in 2020. Our constructions for Martinsville have to consider that the cars are hard on the brakes entering the corners and hard on the gas exiting, and must be able to handle those conditions.”
Notes – Teams in all three NASCAR series return to Martinsville on same tire set-up: Teams in all three NASCAR national series will run on the same tire set-up at Martinsville this weekend . . . this is the same combination of left- and right-side tires that the Cup and Xfinity cars ran in April and teams in all three series ran last season at Martinsville . . . this is the only track at which NASCAR teams will run either of these two Goodyear tire codes . . . as on most NASCAR ovals one mile or less in length, teams will not run inner liners in their tires at Martinsville.
— Goodyear Racing —

Back
Top Bottom