Votes: 0 0.0%
  • let the drivers curse on tv

• other

• Total voters
S

smack500

People want nascar to be a family sport, they want there kids to be able to watch the race with them come sunday. Yet I have herd several people also say its cool that ward and tony spoke there mind. Should drivers be able to use profanity and just be bleeped out or what???

just bleep it, i mean thats what they do on all the other shows. i mean you listen to a rap song on MTV and all you hear is bleeps.

Other.........don't rush to interview the drivers, crew chiefs or anyone immediately after an emotional event. Someone slips, let it go......don't make an issue if it. Family sport........yeah, but bet kids don't watch the races on TV like us adult fans. It's family friendly at the track.........and you don't get the interviews at the track.:)

yeah, we do. but we would never let in on TV. b/c then the youngins would learn it before they get to school.

yeah gotta agree with EEFF...but bleep it.......who knows someones grand'ma might get offended or something, :D

Just Bleep them, they are human and almost everybody cusses from time to time.

I'm sure most kids have said or heard words much worse than the S word, but I understand parent's concerns. We NEVER curse around children.

Originally posted by kat2220
Just Bleep them, they are human and almost everybody cusses from time to time.  

I'm sure must kids have said or heard words much worse than the S word, but I understand parent's concerns.

I know I do Kat from time to time...just human nature thats all....hahahhaaha:D

Just bleep it.......... but I wondered why Wahd said "chit" and Tony got bleeped for it??:rolleyes: Or was I misunderstanding Wahd again?:confused:

Originally posted by lovNdale
Just bleep it.......... but I wondered why Wahd said "chit" and Tony got bleeped for it??:rolleyes:  Or was I misunderstanding Wahd again?:confused:

Wahd was live.......Tony was taped!:)

Admire these people for who they are, make them change and they are no longer the same people. Case in point, look at #29. Wild competive driver last year, then he was broke by the folks in the big red trailor. Now look at how well he is doing.

Enjoy them, don't try to tame them.

Bleep them and move along. It also might be a good idea to give the guys some space after the race, then do the interview,

Originally posted by #84 NVRA
Admire these people for who they are, make them change and they are no longer the same people. Case in point, look at #29. Wild competive driver last year, then he was broke by the folks in the big red trailor. Now look at how well he is doing.

Enjoy them, don't try to tame them.

To bad thats true.

NASCAR needs to step down. If somebody says a bad word, I'm sure it won't scar the listener for life. Chances are, they have heard that word before.

I voted for other. By other, I mean get over it. If this is all you cared about in the entire race, watch tennis.

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan
I voted for other.  By other, I mean get over it.  If this is all you cared about in the entire race, watch tennis.

Yeeehaw TWF........wish I had said it like that!!:D

The fact that this is an issue is giving me an anurism. I'm not directing this at you Smack500, just our PC society. I well understand the need for civility. I expect it.

But I also, am aware that we all are human and make human mistakes. I can hear much worse from the sideline audio of any football game. That's a family sport. Right? Is there a double standard here?

I would wager most folks on the board have said much worse while hanging a curtain or shade in a window. So it wasn't on TV?...but those same children for which "everyone" is concerned did.

"Life" happens.

Windsor

Good point Windsor I learned all the cus words from my parents arguing!

Must famous one was kiss my ass & the other saying is it clean
LOL

Bleep it, when you get caught up in the moment you say some things you might not say under normal circumstances. Fines aren't necessary.

Bleeping it is fine, but I don't think people, as in Nascar officials, need to make such a big deal over it. My cousin has a protective mother and she censors movies and other things so he won't hear cuss words, but when someone says one around him, he notices it even more than someone else does. He points out the words which some of our other cousins his age don't even notice. His mom puts such an emphasis on those words, that he really notices when someone says it. Bringing this back to Nascar, if they make a big deal out of it and fine someone than kids are going to be like well is whoever going to cuss this week and get fined.

Nascar doesn't need to fine people or make a huge deal out of it, it just draws more attention to the cussing. Besides most everyone cusses, kids are going to hear it somewhere usually at home or from friends.

Edited for clarification. Because it isn't a big deal to me, I use way too many cuss words. It would help me to have a censor on my mouth, but Nascar doesn't need to worry about censoring the drivers.

It's not that big of a deal to me, I've heard and said those words since the 3rd grade.

If you can catch and bleep it, go ahead and bleep it. If they curse, as long as it's not the f-bomb, just let it go.

As a young father I am trying not to cuss around my two year old son, however, I figure its my job to tell him whats right and wrong. And to explain to him why Tony said chit or to explain to him that some people have chit in their mouth when they talk, like wahd :) Ward jokes aside, I'll teach my son, NASCAR and others don't need to, its my responsibility!

Let them cuss, Everyone does it and there is a bunch of hicks and southern boys out therer that are racin and that is what nascar is

oh (expletive deleted)

Read the transcripts to the Nixon tapes from years back and then come back and tell me how bad nascar on tv is.

Seems that the fact there is such a term as "expletive deleted" which is somewhat commonplace in our vocabulary runs contrary to the point you're trying to make.

No one says profanity is common in most walks of life, it is. Perhaps all to commonplace, but that is an entirely different discussion.

But the position that profanity in its totality is acceptable fare for an unsuspecting TV audience has never been the norm. It will in any real time situation rear it head, be it on the street or on the airwaves. Does it necessarily follow that it's existence should dictate its acceptance? not IMO.

As mngoherguy aptly points out, the reponsibility for instilling some semblance of what is acceptable and unacceptable falls to those of greater maturity than the young of our society. A very difficult task in the best of times which need not be made any more difficult.

If you desire to have the open perception of motorsports be one of not suitable for the entire family, then unleash the dogs. No top flight sport has ever found this to a suitable approach to its fans. It is my hope that none will.

Just because it is "common" doesn't mean that it is OK. As long as you let someone get away with a little, they will always go a little further. You gotta draw the line somewhere.

Television, Radio, all forms of "entertainment", are getting farther and farther away from sound moral principles. I hate to see it - and I work in television.

I agree that it is up to parents to "censor" what children see or hear, but watching network television on Sunday afternoon should be censored enough - it should be clean.

I voted "bleep and fine" - but after thinking about it, I wish I had voter "other" - bleep the word, fine the TV network. Maybe that would let the TV crews think a little more about what they are broadcasting.

I don't want to start a flame war, but I also found it interesting that someone in this thread said "Amen" implying it was OK to use this type of language ---

I voted to just bleep it. I agree that the people doing the interviews should probably wait to get their interview with someone who has just "wrecked" or something "bad" has just happened to them, until the driver has had time to cool off and possibly seen a replay of what happened BEFORE a microphone and camera is shoved into their face and the stupid questions fly.

They are just words. Everyone says them at one point or another. I have been known to say a few myself, mostly the F-word and Tonys and Wards favorite. I say bleep it if possible, but don't fine them.

It's what people make of the words. People could find a bad association for any word. Some people take things to far.

Well, profanity is "detrimental" without doubt to the sport as the sport is being packaged. Have heard ot said that profanity is not a sign of spiritual growth.

I figure I'm a spiritual midget.

We can idealize Nascar and life all we want, but cursing still happens.

People get upset and say things sometimes that are not always appropriate. With the amount of pressure drivers are put under to run well week in and week out, I'm surprised they are able to compose themselves as much as they do when some reporter sticks a mic in front of their mouth.

$hit happens.

I think TNT and the media in general take the risk of asking drivers questions after they climb out of the car.... If they dont wanna hear anything negative from a driver, dont ask him questions when he's had a helluva day.

i dont have the temper to have a mic in my face. i would say what i wanted then if i was p!$$ed enfuf i would pull a smokey.

I can't help but laugh when I hear about NASCAR (or anything else, really) being "family entertainment". If you want "family entertainment", rent a Disney movie. NASCAR drivers and crew chiefs are criticized/fined for using profanity in the heat of battle, but its two top divisions are sponsored by a tobacco company and a beer company. No, I don't think beer or cigarette advertising by itself is necessarily harmful to kids, but I'd be FAR more concerned whether they were drinking or smoking than whether or not they were using dirty words.

I personally am a big fan of profanity... www.georgecarlin.com

:booya: :booya: :booya:

i think the reason why Tony was bleemped was because his interview was taped and Ward's was live.

i think if you drop the F bomb you should be fined...there are quite a few others aswell......but i personally dont think **** is to bad of a word

anyone remember when Geoff Bodine said GD on air a few years back?

I think you should bleep it. But if you are doing a live interview that would be hard.

Let's put it this way. Did anyone get fined for saying shat this weekend? Nope. Case closed.

Nascar fines for the F-bomb, not if you slip up and say shat. At least they are being consistent (wow, imagine that).

Back
Top Bottom