Question about Darlington...

S

slick-nick

I dunno if you all have heard this or not, but is Darlington going under the lights in 2004? I heard it from someone, maybe even NASCAR themselves... but just wanted to know for sure..

I rember hearign about darlington under the lights. i think it was annoucned that they would be this year but not sure let me go chek it out!!

Darlington Raceway could host a night race as soon as next season. The track is exploring the possibility of using temporary lights for the 2003 Southern 500, with permanent lights going up in time for the 2004 Labor Day weekend race. Track president Andrew Gurtis confirmed in August that officials from the raceway and the cable television network TNT, which broadcasts the race, were discussing the possibility of adding lights to NASCAR's oldest superspeedway. Representatives of Musco Lighting, the Iowa-based company that has lit a number of Winston Cup tracks, have also visited Darlington several times to perform preliminary surveys.(Charleston Post and Courier)(11-16-2002)

Sad. Kinda like Wrigley Field. But I'd rather see lights as a reduction in races there.

I wish they'd keep the southern 500 during the day. But I could live with their other race being under the lights. That is, if they keep two race dates in the future. I love that place, hope it never changes.

I'm all for making the Southern 500 a night race. Seems to me that if they're struggling with ratings and ticket sales this is the best solution, as opposed to moving the race elsewhere. I was at the Southern 500 in '00. Loved the race but I doubt I'll ever go again because it's too dang muggy and hot as blazes that time of year, not to mention rainy.

Back
Top Bottom