R.I.P. Gordie Howe

I had the privilege of listening to Gordie and the Wings play on the radio and later got to see him live and on TV. Out of all his remarkable accomplishments playing one final NHL season in 1979/80 at the age of 51 and scoring 15 goals and 26 assists may be the best.

Mr. Hockey. Quite a guy.

Good story ...

After his retirement, Maurice "The Rocket" Richard of the Montreal Canadians was invited into the radio broadcast booth during a game between Montreal and the Red Wings. He was to choose the 3 Stars post-game.

After the game, the following exchange occurred:

"So ... Maurice, who was your third star tonight?"

"For my tird star, I'm giving it to my brudder Onree ... "e skate up an' down his wing all night, score 1 goal an' 'ad 1 assist."

"Thanks, Rocket ... and your second star?"

My second star go to to Jean Beliveau ... 'e's de best center-ice man in de league. Two assists tonight for Jean.

"All right. And finally, who did you choose as tonight's first star?

"For me, tonight's first star is Dickie Moore ... 'e's one of de best players on de 'abs team. His two goal tonight tell you dat.

Exasperated, the Hockey Night in Canada play by play announcer said: "Well, Maurice ... if you could award a 4th star, who would it go to?"

Richard's immediate reply: "Well ... I guess I would 'ave to give a fort star to Gordy 'owe. If 'e 'adn't score dose 4 goal, Montreeall would 'ave won de game."

Back
Top Bottom