Racing before the 500

Rolex 24 Jan 27-28

This race is really cool if you are new to it. The 4 hour continental tire race on friday the 26th is a lot of fun to watch too.

This year there are all sorts of big name drivers in the 24 hour race. Fernando Alonso, Juan Jet-dryer Montoya, Helio Castroneves, Boris Said, Austin Cindric, etc. Not that Boris Said or Austin Cindric deserve to be in a sentence with those other drivers, but they are at least NASCAR frequent fliers.
There are a bunch of other Indycar drivers in it this year and Penske has put a team together with Acura for the first time. Last year Jeff gordon drove with the Taylor brothers and they basically kicked everybody's butt last year. This year the Taylor brothers are on different teams!

Anyway, I'm still new to this series but it is a lot of fun to watch and there are a lot of storylines to follow. I honestly think this race weekend is a little more exciting than the Daytona 500.

Almost forgot. Go here for the latest discussions on the Rolex 24. https://racing-forums.com/threads/imsa-2018.61613/

Last edited:
Fox Sports normally began Daytona coverage 2 days before the Clash on 2-11.

As the title says any televised racing on before the 500? If so what and where to see it please? Boy do I miss The Speed Network.

Chili Bowl Nationals main event is televised live on MAVTV on Saturday night.

Honestly, I don't miss SPEED at all. Between MAVTV, CBS Sports Network, FS1 and NBCSN, there's more racing on TV now than there was when SPEED existed -- well, except the early years of NASCAR TV on SPEED Channel.

MAVTV almost always has something on.

World Rally Car January 25-28. Becoming a bigger fan every day.
I'm looking forward to seeing how Alonso's journey further from F1 goes. I want him to actually make it to the end, this time!!
The WRC is fantastic. Last year, the battle for the championship was a thrill to watch. Ogier just got by to clinch the title at the end.
Maybe he can make it one more title to add to the five that he already has, if the rumors surrounding his impending retirement are true.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Alonso's journey further from F1 goes. I want him to actually make it to the end, this time!!
The WRC is fantastic. Last year, the battle for the championship was a thrill to watch. Ogier just got by to clinch the title at the end.
Maybe he can make it one more title to add to the five that he already has, if the rumors surrounding his impending retirement are true.

Pulling for Toyota like always in the WRC. Love Latvala. He reminds me of Jean Alesi when he was in a Ferrari in F1. Passionate to a fault, but hugely likable. Ogier gets into his head just waking up in the morning. Just awesome. Most of all, I love the cars. Fabulous. Monte in a couple of weeks!!!!!

Honestly, I don't miss SPEED at all. Between MAVTV, CBS Sports Network, FS1 and NBCSN, there's more racing on TV now than there was when SPEED existed -- well, except the early years of NASCAR TV on SPEED Channel.

How do you get MAVTV? I don't think it's available from my local cable provider.

Pulling for Toyota like always in the WRC. Love Latvala. He reminds me of Jean Alesi when he was in a Ferrari in F1. Passionate to a fault, but hugely likable. Ogier gets into his head just waking up in the morning. Just awesome. Most of all, I love the cars. Fabulous. Monte in a couple of weeks!!!!!

I respect your Toyota fandom.
That might be what steers me away from Latvala. See, I usually cheer for the Finns across all of motorsport. However, with him being too crash prone, and likely never going to win a championship, I can not say I care for him too much. Toyota's decision to return to the WRC was a brilliant one, though.
Ogier is amazing. He gave M-Sport their first title and their most successful season ever. Sounds like another driver-team story that I've heard...

As far as who my favorites in the WRC goes, Revman, I do not really have one at the moment. After the Solbergs departed (namely Petter), I have been left without one for the time being. I just enjoy the series. It is fantastic, and it has become really competitive - strangely so, because if you were to look at the end-of-season results for the last decade or more, it would not seem like it!

Since Ogier just got by last year, I'm keenly watching what he does this year to reclaim the crown.

I don't get MAVTV.

You can get some live and taped delayed racing programming on Lucas Oil Racing TV. It's around $100 a year. The Chili Bowl will be on it Saturday night.

You can get some live and taped delayed racing programming on Lucas Oil Racing TV. It's around $100 a year. The Chili Bowl will be on it Saturday night.

I don't know about you but I bought that one time. Maybe it has changed but the rest of the programming they were offering was more hype than content. I could find better programming on YouTube. I paid 80 bucks to watch the final race at the Chili bowl is about what it turned out to be when the dust cleared.

I respect your Toyota fandom.
That might be what steers me away from Latvala. See, I usually cheer for the Finns across all of motorsport. However, with him being too crash prone, and likely never going to win a championship, I can not say I care for him too much. Toyota's decision to return to the WRC was a brilliant one, though.
Ogier is amazing. He gave M-Sport their first title and their most successful season ever. Sounds like another driver-team story that I've heard...

As far as who my favorites in the WRC goes, Revman, I do not really have one at the moment. After the Solbergs departed (namely Petter), I have been left without one for the time being. I just enjoy the series. It is fantastic, and it has become really competitive - strangely so, because if you were to look at the end-of-season results for the last decade or more, it would not seem like it!

Since Ogier just got by last year, I'm keenly watching what he does this year to reclaim the crown.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.....Latvala reminds me of why I became a Formula 1 fan long ago (....and have since drifted away from the series largely because I cannot follow more than one or two series the way I like to at a time...and Toyota left).....One night years ago, I couldn't sleep. I turned on the TV, and found F1. Jean Alesi was driving a 12 cylinder Ferrari. Made no sense. Everybody had gone to 10's. Ferrari was insistent on the 12's. Alesi drove with way too much heart...and maybe not enough head....but you know what? I loved his passion even though I knew it would probably never translate into a championship---his drive in Canada, however, was almost like a championship to me. Two things about that time....First, the cars were interesting to me--the 12 cylinder Ferrari was fabulous. Second, the drivers had personality. A perfect balance. This is what has drawn me to WRC. The cars are absolutely amazing--technological marvels--engineered to the max...and the drivers are very unique. I am intrigued by the Yaris WRC, and Latvala gives me that Alesi passion to a fault. I freakin' love it. My criticism of NASCAR is that it is too driver-centric. They are driving pretty cool cars, but the only time I hear them discussed is when there is a performance advantage, or accusations of cheating. The cars, and the engineers who essentially build them are perceived as the enemies. Honestly, when I attend a NASCAR race, I am more into the cars than the drivers. WRC as I said is currently the perfect balance. I, of course, love Latvala, but I am very excited to see what Tanak can do behind the wheel of the Yaris with proper team/factory support. Will Lappi continue to develop, and become a huge star? I have to say that Latvala's Sweden reminded me of Alesi's Canada drive....man, that was awesome. Conversely, Finland was a huge blow--even though Lappi was fabulous. Great stuff, and we are headed into another fantastic season!

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.....Latvala reminds me of why I became a Formula 1 fan long ago (....and have since drifted away from the series largely because I cannot follow more than one or two series the way I like to at a time...and Toyota left).....One night years ago, I couldn't sleep. I turned on the TV, and found F1. Jean Alesi was driving a 12 cylinder Ferrari. Made no sense. Everybody had gone to 10's. Ferrari was insistent on the 12's. Alesi drove with way too much heart...and maybe not enough head....but you know what? I loved his passion even though I knew it would probably never translate into a championship---his drive in Canada, however, was almost like a championship to me. Two things about that time....First, the cars were interesting to me--the 12 cylinder Ferrari was fabulous. Second, the drivers had personality. A perfect balance. This is what has drawn me to WRC. The cars are absolutely amazing--technological marvels--engineered to the max...and the drivers are very unique. I am intrigued by the Yaris WRC, and Latvala gives me that Alesi passion to a fault. I freakin' love it. My criticism of NASCAR is that it is too driver-centric. They are driving pretty cool cars, but the only time I hear them discussed is when there is a performance advantage, or accusations of cheating. The cars, and the engineers who essentially build them are perceived as the enemies. Honestly, when I attend a NASCAR race, I am more into the cars than the drivers. WRC as I said is currently the perfect balance. I, of course, love Latvala, but I am very excited to see what Tanak can do behind the wheel of the Yaris with proper team/factory support. Will Lappi continue to develop, and become a huge star? I have to say that Latvala's Sweden reminded me of Alesi's Canada drive....man, that was awesome. Conversely, Finland was a huge blow--even though Lappi was fabulous. Great stuff, and we are headed into another fantastic season!

I love this. :D I figured you would bring up Jean Alesi, seeing as he went through similar circumstances. He is very under-rated, 1 grand prix victory is not a testament to that man's ability behind the wheel. The fact that he drove for Ferrari just adds to the positivity! Ferrari is my favorite Formula One team, as it is. At no point have I rooted for anyone other than Ferrari.
It would be nice to hear a little more about the Toyota Camry, the Chevrolet Camaro, and the Ford Fusion - in a more positive light. Speaking of which, I am freaking obsessed with the Camaro. :biggrin: It is about time that a real, sporty car found its way back onto the track. :p
Ott Tanak lit the fuse, last season. He can do it. He was running pretty close to Ogier as his team-mate last year. Lappi also looks real fast; what he could do is intriguing. Your team has a pretty competent line-up. ;)

I love this. :D I figured you would bring up Jean Alesi, seeing as he went through similar circumstances. He is very under-rated, 1 grand prix victory is not a testament to that man's ability behind the wheel. The fact that he drove for Ferrari just adds to the positivity! Ferrari is my favorite Formula One team, as it is. At no point have I rooted for anyone other than Ferrari.
It would be nice to hear a little more about the Toyota Camry, the Chevrolet Camaro, and the Ford Fusion - in a more positive light. Speaking of which, I am freaking obsessed with the Camaro. :biggrin: It is about time that a real, sporty car found its way back onto the track. :p
Ott Tanak lit the fuse, last season. He can do it. He was running pretty close to Ogier as his team-mate last year. Lappi also looks real fast; what he could do is intriguing. Your team has a pretty competent line-up. ;)

Ferrari was always my favorite F1 team. I was torn when Toyota entered, but then again, Toyota never threatened anybody in F1, honestly. Schumacher in 1996, Spain in the rain, was the greatest drive I have ever seen in any form of motorsports. Like I said though, Alesi will probably always be my favorite driver. Jari-Matti is so much like him. I do believe that the Toyota WRC team has a great line up, and the car seems really good, but Ogier is Ogier, and in this, he is much like Schumacher IMO. Just money. The dude is arrogant, pissy when things aren't right, and absolutely devastating to the competition when he has his rhythm. He will be tough to beat with the Ford backing now. Can't wait! One week!

Ferrari was always my favorite F1 team. I was torn when Toyota entered, but then again, Toyota never threatened anybody in F1, honestly. Schumacher in 1996, Spain in the rain, was the greatest drive I have ever seen in any form of motorsports. Like I said though, Alesi will probably always be my favorite driver. Jari-Matti is so much like him. I do believe that the Toyota WRC team has a great line up, and the car seems really good, but Ogier is Ogier, and in this, he is much like Schumacher IMO. Just money. The dude is arrogant, pissy when things aren't right, and absolutely devastating to the competition when he has his rhythm. He will be tough to beat with the Ford backing now. Can't wait! One week!
One week is right! I am thrilled that we're about to get a taste of what is to expect this year. Not a big fan of Ogier, but I've naturally been drawn to Schumi through his success for my favorite team and the wealth of talent he had. Toyota WRC is likely going to clinch the teams' title. More likely to do so than to clinch the drivers' title. ;) Toyota F1 came close to a few wins! I remember that they had a few close calls within their last season of F1, with both Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock.

One week is right! I am thrilled that we're about to get a taste of what is to expect this year. Not a big fan of Ogier, but I've naturally been drawn to Schumi through his success for my favorite team and the wealth of talent he had. Toyota WRC is likely going to clinch the teams' title. More likely to do so than to clinch the drivers' title. ;) Toyota F1 came close to a few wins! I remember that they had a few close calls within their last season of F1, with both Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock.

Yeah, Ogier is a diva, but freaking awesome. The reports are good with the Yaris, but we will see. Snow for Friday in Monte. Gonna be awesome. Subscribed to WRC + All Live.....might lose some sleep if my guys get close. I might be more jacked for this than Daytona. Really tired of NASCAR minimizing the manufacturers. Love those WRC cars! The other thing that I was thinking about.....NASCAR tries so hard to define the drivers' personalities to create drama. In an international series like WRC the drivers are defined by their nationalities. WRC doesn't have to manufacturer bull****. I mean, love the Finn personalities. How will the Estonian fit into their click at Toyota? ......and then the French little bitch Ogier! Fabulous! Toyota got close (kind of) in F1--think Ralph was close in Spa one year, but it was never really on pure performance. I loved those years. I watched every race. Always had hope until they pulled the plug. BTW....my dog's name in Trulli! :D

Yeah, Ogier is a diva, but freaking awesome. The reports are good with the Yaris, but we will see. Snow for Friday in Monte. Gonna be awesome. Subscribed to WRC + All Live.....might lose some sleep if my guys get close. I might be more jacked for this than Daytona. Really tired of NASCAR minimizing the manufacturers. Love those WRC cars! The other thing that I was thinking about.....NASCAR tries so hard to define the drivers' personalities to create drama. In an international series like WRC the drivers are defined by their nationalities. WRC doesn't have to manufacturer bull****. I mean, love the Finn personalities. How will the Estonian fit into their click at Toyota? ......and then the French little bitch Ogier! Fabulous! Toyota got close (kind of) in F1--think Ralph was close in Spa one year, but it was never really on pure performance. I loved those years. I watched every race. Always had hope until they pulled the plug. BTW....my dog's name in Trulli! :D
Snow in Monte is always a welcome sight for race fans. :D I am gonna try to see as much of it as I can, but I will make no promises. :p Daytona and Monte are both a ton of fun. Yes, we watch NASCAR for the racing. The emphasis should be on the racing. The "R" in NASCAR stands for Racing! Boogity, boogity, boogity, let's go racing! I couldn't care less about personalities. I watch for the racing; any drivers with good/bad characters is just a little bonus to me. Revman, who does not love the Finns? :pbjtime: Every sport they are in, I tend to gravitate towards the Finnish competitors. Haha! Poor Ralf had mostly clocked out after his time at Williams, because of the wreck - I believe. I still follow F1 voraciously to this day. Looking forward to seeing Red in 2018, and also cheering for Haas! :salute: Haha, really? I bet he got a Trulli nice dog bowl... with a little Toyota emblem on it, and some Trulli yummy dog food. On that front, um... my Instagram handle is "The Iceman".:punkrocke

Back
Top Bottom