Racing Electronics scanners

P

PurpleDog

I was wondering if anyone out there in Racing Forumland has any experience with the current RE1000 and RE3000 scanners from Racing Electronics. My trusty RE3000 no longer works. RE allows an "out of warranty replacement" on any scanner or headset of theirs. Basically, you send them in the no longer working unit and get a new one for 1/2 price. Or do the exchange at the track.
Because I have a non functioning RE3000, I can get a new RE1000 for 75 bucks and the RE3000 for 150.
I listen to MRN 90% of the time at traces, and normally don't listen to individual drivers until near the end of the race. I like the over the air programming that the RE3000 offers, but is that worth an additional 75 bucks ? I don't see any huge differences in the 2 units other than the OTA programming.
Any thoughts or comments ?

I was wondering if anyone out there in Racing Forumland has any experience with the current RE1000 and RE3000 scanners from Racing Electronics. My trusty RE3000 no longer works. RE allows an "out of warranty replacement" on any scanner or headset of theirs. Basically, you send them in the no longer working unit and get a new one for 1/2 price. Or do the exchange at the track.
Because I have a non functioning RE3000, I can get a new RE1000 for 75 bucks and the RE3000 for 150.
I listen to MRN 90% of the time at traces, and normally don't listen to individual drivers until near the end of the race. I like the over the air programming that the RE3000 offers, but is that worth an additional 75 bucks ? I don't see any huge differences in the 2 units other than the OTA programming.
Any thoughts or comments ?
You can listen to MRN or TV on either. I just have the RE1000 which suits me just fine.

I own a 3000 and have only had it for a couple years. Sadly I've gone my entire NASCAR life without every bothering to own a scanner - which I am hating myself for now because of how awesome they are. I imagine there isn't a difference performance-wise, just one of those deals where one comes with more bells and whistles. The OTA programming is worth the extra to me personally.

A scanner is a must have for us. It adds to the overall racing experience tremendously.

We have a couple of older Radio Shack scanners and two pair of headsets. I want to pull the trigger so bad on a new setup from RE but I can't justify the purchase. My scanners work just fine. It's only the headsets that are starting to show their age. When it does become time to upgrade, I'll probably opt for one of the packages from RE around Christmas time. They have huge sales during the off season. I'll probably go with the package with the two headsets and scanner. The headset that allow for communication during the event. I'm not sure how well those function though. Anyone here have them?

Thanks for your replies. I have a bit more information after talking with a tech guy at RE: There is no difference to the "guts" of the 1000 vs the 3000.
One does not receive the signal better then the other, and both have the same sound circuitry. The 3000 does offer the OTA programming for life, and does have the ability to select 3 favorite driver and have those drivers - and only them - override the MRN broadcast. That is a cool feature, and it, along with the OTA programming that you never have to pay for, is worth the extra initial expense to me.

I will also comment that I have tried all 3 of the current RE headphones, and you get what you pay for., The RE58 platinums are way better than the RE48 classics, and the classics are way better than the RE24 phantoms. With scanner headphones, it is as much about what is noise is blocked out as it is about what you are hearing.

Reactions: Pat
A scanner is a must have for us. It adds to the overall racing experience tremendously.

We have a couple of older Radio Shack scanners and two pair of headsets. I want to pull the trigger so bad on a new setup from RE but I can't justify the purchase. My scanners work just fine. It's only the headsets that are starting to show their age. When it does become time to upgrade, I'll probably opt for one of the packages from RE around Christmas time. They have huge sales during the off season. I'll probably go with the package with the two headsets and scanner. The headset that allow for communication during the event. I'm not sure how well those function though. Anyone here have them?
The idea of those has always seemed so cool to me, but I too would like to know how well they work.

I am always amazed when I see fans at the race WITHOUT a scanner. It is an absolute essential part of the race experience as far as I am concerned.

The idea of those has always seemed so cool to me, but I too would like to know how well they work.
I have some friends that use them. They bought them at Bristol about five or six years ago. They worked well there. I think they will work well anywhere.

i had the headsets with the mic and without. the mic set was no good to me really because only 1 other person that i went to races with had a mic set headphones and he was the one who wouldn't shut up, so i gave those to my nephew and used the headphones without the mic. now that i no longer go to races, i hate i have no use for them. here's a picture of mine.
ySGVLFt.jpg

I still have my Radio Shack receiver and head phones from years and years ago. They work great when I use them. I did get tired of hauling stuff around the track and quit taking them. The receiver is also a weather radio and receives police chatter so my investment wasn't a total write off. Once in Charlotte I picked up one of those tiny pocket sized Race-ceivers. It worked but without a good set of head phones.. blah.

I have raced a lot of things over the years. But I have to admit I have never raced an electronic scanner.

Back
Top Bottom