Racing magazines..

*WEAVER*

Team Owner
I was looking on ebay today for some Stock Car Racing magazines from the 80's. Didn't buy any, but I might if I can figure out which ones I want. I didn't start reading those till the 90's, so missed the whole 80's which is my favorite era of cars, and would love to see some of those issues. It got me to wondering, do you guys have any racing magazines that you have held onto through the years? I only have 2 from the 90's that I held onto, and that was the Stock Car Racing issues of Davey Allison, and Alan Kulwicki after their death.

Now that time has gone on, I wish I would have kept a lot more of them to read from time to time. I really wish I would have kept some of the speed sport newspapers I used to get, those were always fun to read through.

i use to have a lot and a bunch of race programs too, but a model car building club bought about all of them to use as guides building their models. but i still have a bunch of beckett ones, i get autographed when i'm able.

Dang, my Dad had all sorts of stuff like this dating back into the 60's. Have no clue where it all ended up.

I have binders full of Stock Car Racing magazines. I started buying them off of the newsstands in the mid-1970s, and started subscribing in the mid-1980s until they folded. There may be a few issues missing (I'd have to check) but I have mostly complete years from 1976 forward.

I also have Circle Track, Open Wheel, and Speedway Illustrated going back from pretty much when they started until today or when they folded.

I have a few Grand National Illustrated and similar magazines, but hit and miss since those mostly had driver fluff stories and I liked the coverage of Stock Car and Circle Track better.
Even have sporadic copies of Area Auto Racing News, National Speed Sport News and other regional papers. Would have more of those but I only thought to pick them up when I saw them, which was usually at a race track. Those are full of stories about local tracks and regional drivers – I need to try to dig up more of those because that history is hard to find.

I have a bunch of street car magazines; Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, Classic Car, Muscle Car, High Performance Pontiac etc. but I haven't been as fond of them so there's probably missing issues. I even have several World Karting Association technical manual issues going back to the mid-1970s.

Yeah I'm a magazine junkie. Especially when it has to do with race cars.

I have a couple of Stock Car Racing magazines from '79 and '81 when Richard Petty won the Daytona 500. I have a few old programs from Atlanta from the mid to late 70's, but one I took it upon myself to modify it a tad because Richard Petty was one of the last drivers shown. I didn't like that, so I reordered the pages.

Gone, that's cool that you have Open Wheel. I was thinking the other day that I wasn't that big of an open wheel fan back when those were being published, now that I am a big fan of the Indycars and stuff I'd love to see those older ones. I might just have to grab a couple from ebay sometime and look through them.

lol mrm good stuff.

Gone, that's cool that you have Open Wheel. I was thinking the other day that I wasn't that big of an open wheel fan back when those were being published, now that I am a big fan of the Indycars and stuff I'd love to see those older ones. I might just have to grab a couple from ebay sometime and look through them.

lol mrm good stuff.

I hope you can find them, and hope you like them.
Open Wheel featured Sprint Cars and Midgets more than Indy Cars, but there was some good Indy Car coverage in there.

I think that "Auto Racing Digest" covered Indy cars more thoroughly, but I'll have to check the few copies I own to verify that.
Unfortunately "Auto Racing Digest" is gone too.

Back
Top Bottom