Racing midgets circa 1946

Beautiful stuff to watch. Open wheel racing takes balls, but back then, it took real balls. Back when race car drivers were billed as "death defying daredevils"

This is the thing I love about youtube - there is so much stuff out there. Thanks for sharing Whizzer.

And yeah, that flagman is a daredevil, too. If I'm not mistaken, I think there were flagmen who did this as well at some early NASCAR races.
Crazy. I wonder if something finally happened at one of these races where someone finally said out loud - "You know, maybe this isn't such a good idea". Ya think?

This is the thing I love about youtube - there is so much stuff out there. Thanks for sharing Whizzer.

And yeah, that flagman is a daredevil, too. If I'm not mistaken, I think there were flagmen who did this as well at some early NASCAR races.
Crazy. I wonder if something finally happened at one of these races where someone finally said out loud - "You know, maybe this isn't such a good idea". Ya think?

At the Chili Bowl, Roger Slack (the flagman) also flags from the infield. Although there are a couple jersey barriers to protect him, (and he doesn't run out on the track like this guy does), but it is a pretty cool throwback to see.

Awesome stuff! Looks like it took balls back then to be a flagman, too...

I started as flagman at a 1/4 mile dirt track near Honesdale, PA, in 1957. I had watched the starter at Victory Speedway in Middletown, NY start modifieds for several years and imitated him. As the cars came out of turn four, I was 1/3 onto the racing surface and ran toward the cars with the green flag waving like the starter in the video. The track had no signal lights and use of the caution flag was at my discretion.
It was a fun time and in 1960, I was asked to start races at White Lake Speedway, White Lake, NY. Sunday afternoon. Same scenario as the PA track except White Lake was paved and the cars were a lot quicker coming out of turn four.

The entire race was flagged from the inside of the track, no starter stand, just three upright railroad ties buried and leaving about four feet out of the ground. I never got hit but had plenty of scares. The worse one being the night we had 3/4 midgets at White Lake.

I had never started a TQ race and I gotta tell ya, when they came out of turn four, full throttle, they were on me like bees on honey and I barely got out of the way in time. That shook me!

It was a fun time and I was paid the princely sum of $20.00 each week, I would pick up my pay check from the office, walk around to the beer concession stand, hand the bar tender the check with the instructions, one case at a time until the money is gone. And the party began. Guys who might have been pissed at me for whatever reason during the race suddenly became my best buds.

Over the Christmas holidays, 1961, I met the love of my life and that gave me an entirely different outlook on life, my responsibilities, hobbies, extra curricular activities and drinking habits. None of which were ever mentioned by my bride-to-be. Thus, at the end of the 1962 season, ended the my employment as, starter.

I have some photos somewhere and will try to locate and post them here.

great video. made me think that if nascar went to narrow tires, there would be no need for restrictor plates!

But there's still no one saying midget racing isn't still dangerous, as evidence by this flip from last night in Virginia.

ARDC-Midgets-512-M.jpg

I say midgets were in there heyday in the early 90's when they were prominently showcased on ESPN's Thursday/Saturday night thunder shows and as the co-feature to the World Series of Sprint Car Racing at Manzanita Speedway.

The Belleville Nationals, which some regard as the Super Bowl of midget car racing, was just a blip (if that) on SPEEDcenter's radar a few weeks ago.

The midgets are fun to watch.

at Belle Clair Speedway a 1/5 mile dirt track in Belleview, IL the flag man goes on to the track, no flag stand and nothing around him!!

Back
Top Bottom