Racing Returning to Rockingham

What!? There have been some very historic moments at that track, including what many consider one of the best races ever in 1992

The 1992 Hooters 500 was two configurations ago. The 1997 reconfiguration hurt the track a lot. It basically became a Charlotte clone at that point.

It was a lot of fun watching Wad Burton win a few races at the Rock.
I saw him win one of the Busch Grand National races at the track back in the day before he made it to the Winston Cup Series.

I think I would have eventually been a fan of Wad regardless of the BGN win, but that is when he got my attention.

Either configuration of Homestead-Miami takes more talent than Atlanta Superspeedway. 🤷‍♂️

I would argue that driving a Superspeedway take more talent and the reason why the cars get wadded up is because a lot of the guys on the track don't have the talent necessary to drive a superspeedway without ****** it up.

I've said this multiple times here but being able to read a line, know where to put your car, set up a run, get yourself into position to make a run, and actually pull it off takes a fair bit of mental acuity and understanding of how the draft is working. The problem arise when guys have no interest in doing all of that and try to blunt force their way through the pack. If NASCAR started penalizing guys for these dumb as **** moves, super speedway racing would improve and we would see talent rise to the top.

I would argue that driving a Superspeedway take more talent and the reason why the cars get wadded up is because a lot of the guys on the track don't have the talent necessary to drive a superspeedway without ****** it up.

I've said this multiple times here but being able to read a line, know where to put your car, set up a run, get yourself into position to make a run, and actually pull it off takes a fair bit of mental acuity and understanding of how the draft is working. The problem arise when guys have no interest in doing all of that and try to blunt force their way through the pack. If NASCAR started penalizing guys for these dumb as **** moves, super speedway racing would improve and we would see talent rise to the top.

Sure, that takes talent and mental fortitude, but it just doesn’t have the “talent” most race fans I know are looking for.

Sure, that takes talent and mental fortitude, but it just doesn’t have the “talent” most race fans I know are looking for.

This seems a bit arbitrary. Talent is talent. The margin for error in super speedway racing is so small that it's actually pretty remarkable watching guys who are good at it actually do it. The degradation of plate racing talent gets overlooked by fans who bought into the "it's a lottery" BS. It's a lottery because you have guys like Kyle Busch running around claiming "it's not real racing."Young drivers internalize that BS and turn their cars into 180 MPH battering rams.

If Dale Earnhardt were alive, I'd dare Kyle Busch to walk up to Dale and say something that stupid.

This seems a bit arbitrary. Talent is talent. The margin for error in super speedway racing is so small that it's actually pretty remarkable watching guys who are good at it actually do it. The degradation of plate racing talent gets overlooked by fans who bought into the "it's a lottery" BS. It's a lottery because you have guys like Kyle Busch running around claiming "it's not real racing."Young drivers internalize that BS and turn their cars into 180 MPH battering rams.

If Dale Earnhardt were alive, I'd dare Kyle Busch to walk up to Dale and say something that stupid.

It’s okay to disagree. Dale Earnhardt would be laughing his ass off at this plate “racing”.

I've said this multiple times here but being able to read a line, know where to put your car, set up a run, get yourself into position to make a run, and actually pull it off takes a fair bit of mental acuity and understanding of how the draft is working.
Call me when someone with those talents can win a race on his own without having to rely on someone else pushing him and staying with him. Call me when he can run up front and pull away from the field without being caught by a pack. Call me when he can pit without needing those lesser drivers to come with him.

None of these flaws inherent to plate racing have anything to do with the lack of skills of other drivers, and all work against those skills. Sure, talent is necessary but I don't think any other NASCAR format places as much emphasis on relying on others.

Call me when someone with those talents can win a race on his own without having to rely on someone else's help. Call me when he can run up front and pull away from the field without being caught by a pack.

I won’t be calling you, except to ask you why you think that having to use the draft invalidates the talent required. Having to race in a pack without crashing or losing the draft takes talent.

You really want NASCAR to get into calling balls and strikes? I don't, you are gonna create a monster and the conspiracy theorists will be out in full force, no thanks

You really want NASCAR to get into calling balls and strikes? I don't, you are gonna create a monster and the conspiracy theorists will be out in full force, no thanks

NASCAR needs to figure out how to get the aggressive driving at super speedways under control. I don't want more rules but some of these blocks are blatant enough that they should be easy calls under the existing rules regarding aggressive driving (which NASCAR has never consistently enforced).

It’s okay to disagree. Dale Earnhardt would be laughing his ass off at this plate “racing”.
I agree, but it’s because of how it works today. In his time it was more “IndyCar-esque” in that you got more of a slipstream. That’s why your best drivers routinely would win those races. Now it’s a pure freight train sadly.

With that being said, Atlanta is the best drafting track at the moment.

I won’t be calling you, except to ask you why you think that having to use the draft invalidates the talent required. Having to race in a pack without crashing or losing the draft takes talent.
None of these flaws inherent to plate racing have anything to do with the lack of skills of other drivers, and all work against a talented driver. I don' think any other NASCAR format places as much emphasis on relying on others. Skill won't get a driver anywhere if no one else will cooperate.

It's a good way to warm back up to the facility, but it still looks like accessing the track will be a problem if they decided to host more events.

That's been the heel of the track for as long as its been open.
you are right, i went there and it was hours getting out.

With the degradation you mentioned it's simply impossible to match Earnhardt's Superspeedway win rate in the current era.
I've seen a few old plate races on YT and the racing there totally different until around 2007.
I don't deny that it takes talent to work the draft and get to the front but success in today's plate racing is 20% draft and 80% wreck-dodging

With the degradation you mentioned it's simply impossible to match Earnhardt's Superspeedway win rate in the current era.
I've seen a few old plate races on YT and the racing there totally different until around 2007.
I don't deny that it takes talent to work the draft and get to the front but success in today's plate racing is 20% draft and 80% wreck-dodging

I agree 100%

The Gen 7 plate package does produce good racing. It's not as good as Gen 5, but the cars can draft pretty well. The problem is the talent level and lack of respect for the discipline by the cars behind the wheel. When top guys like Kyle Busch are calling it a "lottery," that kind of **** rolls downhill. Instead of actually racing, they just ram into each other and cause big wrecks.

I just hate when fans parrot that stuff. Plate racing requires talent, it's just in short supply at the moment.

The problem is it’s a pure freight train nowadays

Back
Top Bottom