Radstrom looking for a contract

B

BebiF1

Thomas Radstrom believes Citroen will sign either Colin McRae or Carlos Sainz for next season, but the Swedish driver still has hopes of staying with the team in 2003.

Citroen is reportedly looking for a big-name driver to lead its attack on the team's first full season in the WRC next year and team boss Guy Frequelin has made no secret in his interest in Ford's McRae and Sainz, who are both out of contract at the end of this year. Radstrom believes a decision about his future at the team will be made soon.

"I don't know what's happening about next year," Radstrom told this week's Autosport magazine. "I was told before Finland that a decision wouldn't be taken until after Deutschland. But I know they're really looking for one of the top guys – which I guess means that Colin and Carlos are top of the list."

Radstrom's hopes of staying with Citroen are likely to depend on whether the team decides to run a third Xsara WRC on most of next year's rallies.

"If the team runs a third car I'm sure Philippe [Bugalski] would get it on asphalt rallies, but there is still a chance for me on gravel rallies," he said. "It's still up in the air."

Radstrom is sidelined for this weekend's Rallye Deutschland, Citroen's final rally of its seven-round season, after breaking two ribs in a crash on the penultimate stage of Rally Finland.

"It's sad and quite frustrating," explained the Swede. "I'm in a lot of pain."

Back
Top Bottom