Randy Bernard Out!

1 step forward. 12 steps back. Way to go idiots!

1293291577509.png

Shameful. He gave IndyCar more in three years than anyone had dreamed of in the previous 14 since the split, and had them on the right track. Still he was treated like dirt every step of the way, and now he's been shown the door.

Hate to see him go, but if I was Randy, nothing would make me happier than to watch the clowns at Hulman & Co. lead American open wheel racing down the toilet again. They had their chance, and they just willfully threw it away.

Interestingly, as much as Roger Penske's name has been in the news/rumors lately, he reportedly is not happy with this decision.

Just sell the damn series to Brian France atleast he would keep the Indy 500 around because he could make money off it. Bernard was turning the series around and now they rather run it back into the ground by going back to what killed open wheel racing in this country.

Bernard ruined the schedule with those stupid doubleheaders. And we don't need two tracks in Texas, thank you very much.

Bernard ruined the schedule with those stupid doubleheaders. And we don't need two tracks in Texas, thank you very much.

Maybe, but he made more strides forward with Indycar than anyone has in years. Now all those forward strides are wiped out.

A disastrous decision and I agree with Miller from Virginia Dirts link. Open wheel seems doomed, a great product doomed by poor management.
It sucks a lot of great drivers in its history with great legacies. They were the builders, they shouldn't be forgotten. But a generation that never gets to enjoy seeing the quality passed down, or preserved cannot sustain itself. Maybe one day there will not even be a 500

Bernard brought us multiple engine manufactures, another 500 mile oval race, a triple crown now with Pocono, the new car that Dan Wheldon spent a year testing, lead a charge to out Barnhart, and each season the racing continued to improve. Finally Penske and Ganassi didn't run over the competition this year and win ever race, so they have to pull some sh!t move like this.

Perhaps Penske was not in on it. Here is a statement Penske released upon hearing Bernard was fired.

by Roger Penske, the most powerful owner in open-wheel racing. “I’m very disappointed in this decision; the board continues to show poor judgment. There is no future plan," Penske told AP's Jenna Fryer. "The series had momentum. New cars, new engines and new race formats, all brought about by Randy. No business can run with a senior management change every two years."

Robin Miller ain't done yet.

In the 44 years I’ve covered Indy car racing, nothing compares to the spineless, devious and classless treatment of Randy Bernard. It was as unprofessional as it was unnecessary and certainly a black eye for a series that is the laughing stock of motorsports today.

From the car owners who backstabbed and plotted against him to Tony George’s relentless pursuit of power to the supposed brain trust of the Hulman & Company board, this was a senseless murder of a good man.

Bernard seemed to have a new idea every day, from starting a relationship with Hollywood’s Dreamworks for a movie to trying to entice NASCAR stars to a rich finale to creating a fund for non-leader’s circle members. They didn’t all work but he clearly saw that the old business model wasn’t working.

Most of all, he tried to understand what pleased the fans so that’s why he went back to Milwaukee, courted Pocono and resumed talks with Phoenix and MIS.

In his battles with NBC Sports and ABC for more exposure, he created some ill feelings, just like with Firestone when he started shopping the tire deal. But he was fighting for his brand and trying to improve the bottom line for the HG family. The owners revolted over new car and parts prices, even though engines leases were reduced, and he should have replaced TGBB with Derrick Walker a long time ago to handle those problems.

On the flip side, he also established a good working relationship with Honda, Verizon, General Motors, APEX, most of the promoters and the media.

But, as bad as many of feel for Randy right now, I feel even worse for Indy car racing.

After convicted felons, ex-bartenders, posers, pathological liars, bulls**t artists and a few more clueless characters, open wheel racing finally had an honest leader with a personality and brain who knew quite a bit about the art of rescue.

Of course instead of celebrating an American champion and some of the best racing of the modern day, we’ve been preoccupied with the rumors of Randy’s demise and the return of TG’s vision for months.

And now all those self-serving assassins who plotted Bernard’s ouster can toast each other over ****tails while wearing a smirk. They make me wish I could change professions because I loathe them, what they’ve done and how they did it.

They are small-minded little people with two faces who hide behind secret meetings, phone calls, emails and board room doors and I’m sure some of them will have the chutzpah to wish Bernard the best if they see him out in public.

There is no cure for stupid.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/miller-no-cure-for-indycars-stupidity/P1

Back
Top Bottom