Randy Goss-as good as Ray?

97forever

Team Owner
Another thread brought out the point of Evernham's genius and got me to thinking.Is there any current crew chief that comes close to the remarkable abilities that Ray has shown?Jimmy Fennig?Greg Zipadelli?The only man that comes close,while very overlooked in my opinion is Randy Goss,crew chief for Greg Biffle.Not only has he guided Greg to Truck series ROTY honors and Truck series Championship,he also helped Greg win ROTY in BGN last year.And a likely Championship this year.

Before working with Greg he helped Tommy Kendall totally dominate the IMSA cicuit in '93 while winning the title that year.

He may not be the next Ray Evernham...but he could be.Just my opinion.

When a car is consistantly as near the front as Biffle's, the crew and it 's chief must always be cited as a heavily contributing factor.

We male such a huge fuss about how great the drivers are but without great cars...........

I do understand what you are saying 71fan and I do agree to a certain degree. But what if the scenario was a great car with a not so great driver? I still say it's the big picture, the whole package. I'm not one to take credit away from a driver and give it 100% to an owner or crew chief. I think it all has to work from the bottom to the top.

Some time back if ya needed more speed, there was one man for the job. Suitcase Jake Elder. Jake would pull his notes and tape measures out of his magic bag and practically guaranteed you would be faster.

To win it's skill and chemistry. Just look at the difference at RCR racing since Robby and Kevin switched teams. Both drivers have improved their results. Roush Racing has experienced the same.

Dale Jarrett struggled mightily at seasons start, then Todd stepped back in and the results have shot upward.

A driver can also make a big difference. Somewhere around here is a thread on Ron Hornaday. Check out the difference his addition made to the Dr. Pepper BGN team.

The name of that old auto mag is Car AND Driver, not Car OR Driver. And of course it's the whole package. Look where Dave Blaney finished this week and then look at his three under 16 pit stops.

The car/driver question is as old as racing itself.

The chemistry question is interesting too.

Ray has succeeded with two drivers of very different temperment. Bill and Jeff are very different personalities on the track.

A great car with a not so great driver? hmmmmm

Yer talking about Jeff again aren't you?;)

Oh geeze, almost fell outta the chair with that one.

Richard Petty makes no bones about it. He calls himself an average driver in great equipment. So there you have an (if not THE) answer. A great car with a not so great driver is in fact a living legend.

I'd have to put Harold Holly up there for BGN best crew chiefs. He has certainly been a factor in Jeff Green's and now Riggs' success...

Randy Goss has to prove himself in Winston Cup before I will even put him in the same class with Ray Evernham. He may do it but he'll have to show me.

Originally posted by 71Fan
A great car with a not so great driver? hmmmmm

Yer talking about Jeff again aren't you?;)  

Oh geeze, almost fell outta the chair with that one.

Richard Petty makes no bones about it. He calls himself an average driver in great equipment. So there you have an (if not THE) answer. A great car with a not so great driver is in fact a living legend.

LOL, Well 71Fan I sure hope you didn't hurt yourself. And I think you and I both know I wasn't refering to Jeff. ;)

I think HS hits the nail on the head on all this. HS always looks at the big picture pertaining to all racing issues. I think if I ever had to go into court I would want HS there. Especially if it was a racing issue.

Well Richard Petty may regard himself as an average driver, do you suppose he may have been alittle humble, so unlike that Ray person we keep discussing!lol
Richard Petty IMO, was a great driver with a great car, to sum it up, he had the whole package.
I agree, car/driver question is one of the oldest debates in the history of this sport. Atleast you and I have finially agreed that it does take the whole package, ahhh...now I can sleep better. Now that wasn't so hard was it 71Fan.
You're alright in my book, I enjoy discussing these issues with you.

Yea, yer fun too.:)

Glad to hear yer finally gonna get some rest.

An interesting test will come this weekend with PJ in the 14 car. At best an average car with an extraordinary roadcourser at the wheel.

Back
Top Bottom