Rate the 96th Indianapolis 500

10. One for the ages, and I prefer not to use that phrase a whole lot.

That image of Sato spinning out from under Franchitti as he went for broke is real agony of defeat kind of stuff.

Would have preferred that the race (or any race, for that matter), didn't finish under caution. Just my preference.
Still, great close racing and passing all day long. And grateful for a safe day for drivers involved in wrecks.

That, my fellow race fanatics here on Racing Forums, is what I call a race! Give that one a 10 (ten)!
Indy cars might make a popular comeback if racing like that seen in this years 500 continues.
And perhaps bounce NASCAR to a second place position. Wouldn't that be somethin'?

I don't give numbers, but I'd call it a GREAT race, from start to finish. I only wish Sato had waited a smidge longer to make a pass so we would have had a spectacular run to the checkers.

Not sure I'd go much further than a 7, there was some good racing, but one thing that really bothered me was the re-starts! Does Indy Car actually have a re-start rule for the ovals anymore or do they just make it up as the race progresses??

Not sure I'd go much further than a 7, there was some good racing, but one thing that really bothered me was the re-starts! Does Indy Car actually have a re-start rule for the ovals anymore or do they just make it up as the race progresses??

I always thought that in Indycar the second the green is thrown you can try to pass even before getting to the line like in Nascar. speaking of re-starts what was the deal with ABC they nearly missed the finale two re-starts and came back the second the flag waved?

Yeh
I always thought that in Indycar the second the green is thrown you can try to pass even before getting to the line like in Nascar. speaking of re-starts what was the deal with ABC they nearly missed the finale two re-starts and came back the second the flag waved?
Yeh I know, I thought on the ovals it was supposed to be a double file restart, didn't know they could go 5 wide.....lol:confused:

Yeh

Yeh I know, I thought on the ovals it was supposed to be a double file restart, didn't know they could go 5 wide.....lol:confused:
Ok had to look it up http://www.autoracing1.com/PDFs/2012/2012_IZOD_IndyCar_Series_Rule_Book_2-10-12.pdf
Apparently once the leader passsed the cone in turn 4 and gets the "green condition" it's balls to the wall and they don't have to stay double file. Pretty crazy, yesterday I thought for sure there was going to be a major pile up on the front stretch.

Ok had to look it up http://www.autoracing1.com/PDFs/2012/2012_IZOD_IndyCar_Series_Rule_Book_2-10-12.pdf
Apparently once the leader passsed the cone in turn 4 and gets the "green condition" it's balls to the wall and they don't have to stay double file. Pretty crazy, yesterday I thought for sure there was going to be a major pile up on the front stretch.

I prefer it that way. I don't like NASCAR's seemingly arbitrary rule against passing before the line. Never made any sense to me what difference it makes to them who does what when the green flag waves. As long as you don't jump the start, then have at it.

I think the crazy restarts yesterday were more a result of Beaux Barfield. He said in no uncertain terms that he didn't want the cars spread out like they typically are when the green waves, and he had the pace car stay on track until they came out of turn four, rather than pulling off to the access road before turn 3. I don't hate the idea entirely, but I just don't know if a mass of cars barreling into turn one three wide is what IndyCar really needs right now.

I prefer it that way. I don't like NASCAR's seemingly arbitrary rule against passing before the line. Never made any sense to me what difference it makes to them who does what when the green flag waves. As long as you don't jump the start, then have at it.

I think the crazy restarts yesterday were more a result of Beaux Barfield. He said in no uncertain terms that he didn't want the cars spread out like they typically are when the green waves, and he had the pace car stay on track until they came out of turn four, rather than pulling off to the access road before turn 3. I don't hate the idea entirely, but I just don't know if a mass of cars barreling into turn one three wide is what IndyCar really needs right now.
That's what I was thinking too, last thing they need is a few cars flying up into the catch fence.

8 would have been a 10 but Dario won

9 because I can't stand Franchitti. Best 2 races of the day Indy500 and the F1 race from Monaco. With this day and age of everyone/everything in life immediate I think it's time to shorten this race to the Coke-a-cola 400, fact i think Humpy Wheeler hit it on the head when he said the age of long races should be over in NA$CAR. The racing in Nationwide and the Truck seies lately have been way better racing than most of the Cup races this year (jmo-btw).

Back
Top Bottom