Rate The Championship Format

BobbyFord

Secret Agent Man
Contributor
Hell, I’ll start it.
I’m a JGR fan and I like Hemric but this format sucks.
I like seeing the 18 door the 22 for a win but to award this guy with the Xfin Championship is a farce and perfectly demonstrates how far NASCAR has tumbled from legitimate motorsports.
I rate the championship a 3 overall.

1. About half the time over the last several years and across the top 3 series, a championship has not gone to a driver who truly had a championship-worthy season. On one hand, NASCAR seems to still get what it wants--whether we're happy or not, we're talking about it. Would we have been talking about championships this much under a season-long format? Probably not. But on the other hand, every time an undeserving champion gets crowned, the sport loses more credibility. What point does the championship battle serve if most drivers and fans view it as a joke?

0. A gimmick system that muddles drivers legacies. I hate to say it though, we can cry and complain about it until the end of time...I don’t think the playoffs are going anywhere. They’re here to stay. It’s been almost...20 years of this “Game 7” garbage. I don’t like it, accept it, or embrace it. I just...roll with it. I will combust on my couch today though if Larson doesn’t win the Championship because of a “Game 7 Moment”. Quintessential NASCAR....

The original Chase format was acceptable, but having the championship come down to one bump and run is a joke.
A driver could literally win 35 races in a row and lead every lap the entire season except for one, and finish 4th in the final standings.

Chase format: 1
Pre-chase format: 5

NASCAR has never had a "good" points system but the original format is miles ahead of this chase crap. Get rid of the playoffs, award 1 point per position, and award 5 bonus points to the winner. Nothing more is necessary and I reckon it would make the season much more interesting because every race for every driver would matter. As it currently stands, once a race is won by a driver they can essentially just make laps until the season finale; it is not conducive to good racing

This format is brilliant. NASCAR has a Playoff season now.....A Championship day......instead of 36 weekends all meaning the same thing. I love every race, and honestly, I couldn't give two ****s how a champion is crowned, but I do love this system. To my shock and amazement......I can't think of a champion that wasn't at least in the conversation.....and for the old school points people.....it amazes me that Larson didn't run away with the Regular Season Championship....if it wasn't for Briscoe, he wouldn't have won it....my point being that whichever way you want to look at it, this Championship 4 reflects the best drivers this season, and the best need to perform when it is all on the line. I love this day. So much excitement. Very cool. Great work NASCAR! I rate the system 10 billion out of 10.

This format is brilliant. NASCAR has a Playoff season now.....A Championship day......instead of 36 weekends all meaning the same thing. I love every race, and honestly, I couldn't give two ****s how a champion is crowned, but I do love this system. To my shock and amazement......I can't think of a champion that wasn't at least in the conversation.....and for the old school points people.....it amazes me that Larson didn't run away with the Regular Season Championship....if it wasn't for Briscoe, he wouldn't have won it....my point being that whichever way you want to look at it, this Championship 4 reflects the best drivers this season, and the best need to perform when it is all on the line. I love this day. So much excitement. Very cool. Great work NASCAR! I rate the system 10 billion out of 10.
The trash talking among the drivers hasn't hurt a thing, people love it.

It hurts really bad to say this.....I agree with Rev.

I've grown to like stage racing. (It kind of reminds me of the old Gillette Half-Way Challenge)
I even like the playoffs.
I just wish there was a way to add more importance to the points leader after all 35 races leading up to the championship race.
I'm really not sure if I will ever care for the "One Race Champion".

They could still do important big money races & battles for money in the points

NASCAR doesn’t promote big money like World of Outlaws does

Here’s my ideal format:

12 drivers start the playoffs with four being eliminated after each of the first two rounds. With 4 drivers left, the champion is whoever can rack up the most points over the final four races of the season.

I give it a 2. It was a zero when the regular season meant nothing. Kyle Larson has been a lock to be in this fight since midway through the season and this format at least rewarded that his first 35 races. Unlike the original Playoffs with the "hard" resets.

In fantasyland, where the previous points system is still in play, the 9 has been mathematically eliminated for 3 weeks.

6. It's better than the old pre chase Latford system. I like the "win and you're in" element during the regular season. I don't love how one bad race can kill your season, but it also benefitted my favorite driver and gave him his 7th title so I can't be too harsh on it lol

Also if the title was already mathematically determined going in to today then I would be mathematically eliminated from watching the race

They could still do the chase elimination and call it anything they want aside from handing out the actual championship.
It could even pay out more money than winning the championship does and Nascar could still hype it up all they want.

I would just like for the driver with the greatest body of work for the season to be recognized as the champion.

In fantasyland, where the previous points system is still in play, the 9 has been mathematically eliminated for 3 weeks.
shhhh
1636303300646.png

The playoffs have resulted in racing for a championship rather than for a trophy, if that makes sense

What difference does it makes whether you like it or think it's the spawn of the Devil? It is the system we have right now.
To be perfectly honest, and I mean it, how the champion is determined or who winds up as champion really does NOT matter
to me.
I like to watch the racing. I like watching drivers who are good at their jobs. I appreciate the hard working team members who
quite often go unrecognized when they do their jobs well and are excoriated if they make an error.

The playoffs have resulted in racing for a championship rather than for a trophy, if that makes sense
Perfectly. Instead of staying ahead of who is behind ya when a driver hasn't a prayer in hell of the next highest spot in the old system. The best cars (for the most part) have to work their way thru the levels of the playoffs to be in the final 4 race.
If I had to be a tweaker, I would have three more races using the final 4 only on three different tracks for the cup champion.

What difference does it makes whether you like it or think it's the spawn of the Devil? It is the system we have right now.
To be perfectly honest, and I mean it, how the champion is determined or who winds up as champion really does NOT matter
to me.
I like to watch the racing. I like watching drivers who are good at their jobs. I appreciate the hard working team members who
quite often go unrecognized when they do their jobs well and are excoriated if they make an error.
I think it takes away from the meaning of “champion” when a guy wins one single race and wins it all. Which is what we had yesterday.
Then, take cup last year, Kevin won more races, led the most laps and had the best average finish throughout the year and still lost.
Nascar should change its name to Oprah…you get a championship and you get a championship and you get a championship….

As a Chase fan, so be it. Will I be happy if he wins the championship today? Sure will. But do I dislike the system? Sure do. Have I accept it won’t change? Sure have. Will I stop complaining about it? Sure won’t.

I think it takes away from the meaning of “champion” when a guy wins one single race and wins it all. Which is what we had yesterday.
Then, take cup last year, Kevin won more races, led the most laps and had the best average finish throughout the year and still lost.
Nascar should change its name to Oprah…you get a championship and you get a championship and you get a championship….
Isn't that basically what happened the last year before the chase?

I for one have finally come to the conclusion it don't matter one little bit what I think of the format and have decided to enjoy the racing and quit thinking about it.
#1 - I am a Nascar race Fan
#2 - As of now IDGAS what the point system is, I have no control in that.
#3 - I like the stages
#4 - I like the GWC finishes
#5 - I like 550 to 850HP hotrods getten r done

Honestly, 3.5/10. If they make it a final 3 races instead 1, I'd bump it to a 6/10.

Full season format: Was once an 8.5/10 for me. Now, about a 6.5/10 after seeing the Chase. Sorry. Season long formats don't do it for me. I find it boring. Dull, and it doesn't reward, or promote high level performance.

Original Chase format: 11/10. This is THE defining system for a champion as far as I'm concerned. It could always be tweaked, but I love it. It still rewarded regular season consistency. Carl Edwards outscored and out performed Stewart in the 05 Chase, but Stewart's starting point lead due to the "regular season" title allowed him to win the title.

It does, to a degree, reward regular season consistency. The Chase rewards 3 months of consistency that's been slightly influenced by regular season performance with absolute minimal margin for error. The result was needing consistency, full season execution packed into 3 weeks, and a 3 month stretch of performance near 90s Gordon level to win.

Screw the playoffs.

Screw the regular season format.

Chase champions are the highest, most difficult championships that define a cup champion we've ever seen. I'll take that to the grave.

Back
Top Bottom