Rate The Cup Race: Sonoma

5, not much passing not much racing, I like Truex but how some of you can give this great races and Gateway a 7

4. I actually fell asleep mid way through. Thought Gateway was more exciting last night and F1 earlier today. Good call by Pearn however, Credit where Credit is due. Onto my home track of Chicagoland

More overtaking in a damn F1 race, and these cars are way too slow to not be bumping around on a road course. Easily a 1

Let me just add I don’t understand how so many on this board are against slowing the cars down, and then are okay with this entirely strategy filled play nice fest at slow speeds. IMSA puts on such a better show because they race, there wasn’t a lot of actual racing today

This race stunk. Sonoma is so overrated. Always down for a Truex win, but doesn’t make up for a clunker of a show.

7, always fun to watch cars traverse this track.

More overtaking in a damn F1 race, and these cars are way too slow to not be bumping around on a road course. Easily a 1

Let me just add I don’t understand how so many on this board are against slowing the cars down, and then are okay with this entirely strategy filled play nice fest at slow speeds. IMSA puts on such a better show because they race, there wasn’t a lot of actual racing today

There was a **** ton of actual racing today. FOX failed to show it.

Also, slowing the cars down with restrictor plates won’t make strategy suddenly non existent. Not sure what the comparison there is.

You trippin’

5. What little happened, Fox missed it live and had to show it on a replay.

There was a sh!t ton of actual racing today. FOX failed to show it.

Also, slowing the cars down with restrictor plates won’t make strategy suddenly non existent. Not sure what the comparison there is.

You trippin’

Not really at all. Everyone the last 40 went strategy only, that’s why you had no bumping or even chasing guys down. They all pit except 9 and 78, and then it becomes all about hoping for a caution. The problem is no one was really racing, simply buying time and making simple overtakes to stay on strategy. This of course leads to no cautions and a massive win

Of course I like strategy, I love racing as a whole. I never miss an F1 race and while those can be bland at times even today you had Verstappen at least trying to keep up with Lewis and Bottas and Vettel flying thru the field after Lap 1 crashes.

This has been a fabulous NASCAR season IMO with the low downforce high speed package, but damn the road course racing has been pretty terrible lately which is a bummer. It doesn’t need to be a barn burner always but holy **** that was bad

7.5 it was good , but not great .

6 because I dont like to give less then 6 since I'll always be glad there is a race.

Strategy was an integral part of the race at Sonoma. Seeing the SHR boys and Truex try to outplay each other was fascinating. Cole Pearn made a beautiful call, though I acknowledge that it could have so easily gone wrong. However, it worked out, and I got to see Truex take a win at one of my favorite racetracks in the world. :D

That race was the worst of the year. I used to hate road racing, then it got exciting for a bit with Juan Pablo, Ambrose, Allmendinger, and some others who would mix it up with them. Today it was back to boring. Maybe the broadcast sucked but there wasn't much happening on TV. And I agree the stages aren't helping the cause.

5. Strategy is great, but it leaves for a spread out field with Truex dominating

I don't remember both road course races from last year, but stage racing definitely killed today's race.
I think the same cars would’ve been up front, it just changes the strategy.
The stages are just competition cautions where underperforming teams can earn points they normally wouldn’t receive.

I think the driver makes a bigger difference on road courses but strategy won this race. Looking at the top 10 finishers there is a good mix of young drivers and veterans. I felt bad for Allmendinger having to own up for his mistake.

I am going with a 3, this was the most boring sonoma race I can remember. The race was really only between 2 cars. I started waching with about half the race left. There was no caution that I saw. This race usually features some banged up cars and some angry drivers. We saw none of that. This also seems to normally be a race that is difficult to know who is going to win. but not today. just a continuation of the same cars that always seem fast every week. Its something that really annoys me this season and goes back to the post I made about the have's and the have nots being too predictable. I get we have always had that in nascar. but in the past we saw different teams do better on different types of tracks. this year its SHR, kyle, and truex. They are faster than everyone else on every type of track, except maybe plate tracks. Maybe chevy needs to go back and try to run last years car. When penske was still running dodges. I think they did just that in a few races. They ran the old car to see what would happen. the chevy's are downright terrible. nearly half the season is over and not much improvement that I have seen. Sonoma is usually one of the best races of the year, not today.

Back
Top Bottom