Rate the Race: Budweiser Shootout at Daytona

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
I didn't see this thread, so here we go.

I go a solid 7. The two-car packs were weird and the four car breakaway sucked. If this is the package for the 500, it looks like we'll be waiting all day for a quarter mile drag race.

It's unfortunate, but I find myself watching these races for the wrong reasons.
Instead of watching for the enjoyment, I find myself picking them apart, and criticizing attempts by NA__ar to manufacture competition.
I'm biased, and not of sound mind to rate a race.
MoMike

I thought it was a 7 3/4. It was weird, but good for most of the race. But the final 20-25 laps were fairly uneventful.

It's unfortunate, but I find myself watching these races for the wrong reasons.
Instead of watching for the enjoyment, I find myself picking them apart, and criticizing attempts by NA__ar to manufacture competition.
I'm biased, and not of sound mind to rate a race.
MoMike
That makes two of us, Mike. I could have written what you did. The only difference is that I've about given up watching the entire "happening" (Some of the stuff they've put on recently is kind of hard to call actual; "racing). Plus about a minute of the two "Village idiots (DW and Larry Mac) is about all I want to subject myself to. Now I watch the first 10 laps or so, switch to the race during commercials on other stations and then try to hit it with about 15 laps to go. Everything in between is more strategy than racing and if I wanted to watch strategy I'd watch a chess match.

I give it an 8, I'm just hoping on a long green flag in the last 20 laps this Sunday dooesn't turn into two cars running away from everyone.

Plus about a minute of the two "Village idiots (DW and Larry Mac) is about all I want to subject myself to.

No kidding, DW got on my nerves in notime the other night, I thought it would at least take 2 or 3 races before I wanted to stab an icepick in my ear.

race1    /reɪs/ Show Spelled
[reys] Show IPA
noun, verb, raced, rac·ing.
–noun
1. a contest of speed, as in running, riding, driving, or sailing.

Looked like a race to me

[reys] Show IPA
–noun

Looked like a race to me

Once again your wise ass remark says nothing about what really took place. If you really think what took place Saturday night was racing, then I guess you have never witnessed true racing.

Once again your wise ass remark says nothing about what really took place. If you really think what took place Saturday night was racing, then I guess you have never witnessed true racing.

And your again criticizing my opinion shows that to you its Mopars world and the rest of us just have to deal with it.

I will say it again.... It had been so long since the cars had been on track I completely enjoyed the race.

It reminded me of Chariot racing at the local track. Fun for a while as a gimmick, but not something I want to see at the top level of stock car racing.

(chariot racing is where they chain a 4 cyl car to an 8 cyl car and race around the track)

Well, maybe once this fuel injection thing happens, nascar will dream up a 10 second "overtake" button like the IRL has.......that would complete the transformation...LOL!!!!:D
MoMike

And your again criticizing my opinion shows that to you its Mopars world and the rest of us just have to deal with it.

Ok kid just calling it like i see it, not my world here, just saying that what happened saturday night wasn't racing...just my opinion if you don't like it fine.

[reys] Show IPA
–noun

Looked like a race to me

No where in that definition does it say PUSHING.That's all I saw Sat. was a bunch of cars pushing other cars around.

I would have to go with an 8. I've read a lot of comments and the main complaint seems to be that they were drafting and not racing. Is this the 1st race at Daytona ya'll have watched? :confused:

FOX using the NFL theme for every one of their sports properties is ridiculous. Their baseball theme is both epic and legendary right up there with the theme from the Natural.

It was interesting and something different to watch, but it wasn't racing. Name one other big recognized racing venue that the cars, boats, motorcycles push each other around the course. I rate it a 4. I say outlaw bump drafting all together, and I've felt this way from the beginning.

TV ratings are out

Ratings Up, Viewership Down, For Budweiser Shootout

The Budweiser Shootout had its first increase in three years, though viewership hit a five-year low.

FOX earned a 4.5 fast-national rating and 7.8 million viewers for coverage of NASCAR's Budweiser Shootout on Saturday night, up a tick in ratings but down 5% in viewership from last year (4.4, 8.187M), and down 8% and 6%, respectively, from 2009 (4.9, 8.263M).

This marks the first time since 2008 that ratings have increased for the Budweiser Shootout. However, the 7.8 million viewers is the lowest for the event since 2006, the last year it aired on cable (6.150M, TNT).

How do the ratings go up but viewership go down?

How do the ratings go up but viewership go down?
The short answer: Less TVs

The Long answer

The actual ratings part are two numbers.

4.5/8

4.5 represents the percentage of total homes are viewing the race at the given moment when the rating is taken.

The second number represents the share of total viewers, so in this case it means that 8 percent of the people watching television at that moment were watching this show. 92 percent were watching something else.

Every year they re-estimate the number of TV households in the country. There are less TV households this year, so that 4.5% of a smaller number.

The short answer: Less TVs

The Long answer

The actual ratings part are two numbers.

4.5/8

4.5 represents the percentage of total homes are viewing the race at the given moment when the rating is taken.

The second number represents the share of total viewers, so in this case it means that 8 percent of the people watching television at that moment were watching this show. 92 percent were watching something else.

Every year they re-estimate the number of TV households in the country. There are less TV households this year, so that 4.5% of a smaller number.

So people are throwing out their TVs? I find the entire viewership rating thing pretty much a farce.

How do they know I'm watching? I thought you had to have a Nelson box on your tv to be counted.

So people are throwing out their TVs? I find the entire viewership rating thing pretty much a farce.

I read a lengthy article about how they work in the NYT and the whole system is a sham.

Back
Top Bottom