Rate The Race: Phoenix II

My rating for the season finale at Phoenix today: 9.

The last 50-ish laps were amazing! My rating would be lower if I didn't place more emphasis on the last 50-ish laps.

8.5, the last 50 or so laps were worth the trip to get there. Glad Matt got to go out with one final win.

Solid 9. As Choc would say, "I got what I was looking for," and then some. As others have said, first stage was on point with some lead changes and of course the final 50-75 laps. Not good from a fantasy standpoint, but loved Kenseth winning. Genuine emotion, nothing manufactured about that...

Yes , I am going to be 100% bias, 10

8.5, the last 50 or so laps were worth the trip to get there. Glad Matt got to go out with one final win.

Kenseth won? How cool is that! I am glad he got to go out as a recent race winner.

8.5 first 2/3s of the race was boring but the Chase made the last 1/3 pretty darn good.

Great race.
Happy for Kenseth.
Happy for Hamlin

5. The first race since March that I actually watched live and uninterrupted. The first 3/4 was a real snoozer. The last 50 laps had me on my feet!

I thought there was good racing during the race as multiple lines were established. The end of the race was pretty exciting. The 24 knocked on the 11's door before he opened it and I was cheering for karma and the shot to see a first time winner. When Chase passed Matt I thought he had it. Then the veteran ran him down and made the pass of his career. The fans cheered Chase passing Matt and they cheered Matt for passing him back - pretty cool. And seeing Matt's piers acknowledge him, that was cool too. As a Kenseth fan I am so happy for Matt.

9.5. Second stage was a bore after Larson's engine blew, but the first stage was decent and of course the last stage was great.

8 - Like most of the folks, just loved the last 50 or 60 laps.

Didn't like how it ended but a good race and that's what counts. 8.5. Like Kyle18, it's about watching it with family and friends. It was fun listening to my wife go nuts when Hamlin went out and again when Elliott got passed. That's what makes it a great day. Next week will be almost as much fun as this one. Going in I thought today was the biggest race of the year. More guys fighting for one spot than there will be next week.

I threw myself behind Chase Elliott for this race. I really wanted to see him win this one. He was so close once again. Chase has earned even more of my respect for how subtle his bump-and-run on Denny was. It was just the tiniest of touches, and it still had huge consequences for Denny. Compared to what Denny did to him, there was a night-and-day difference. :cool:

Nevertheless, I can not help but feel good for Matt Kenseth. The poor guy has undeniable talent behind the wheel, but he is not getting a proper send-off like some of the other elite drivers that have retired in recent years. Well, that was what I was thinking until the checkered flag flew today. Winning what is potentially your second-to-last career race has got to feel magical. I was watching NASCAR's brief tribute to Kenseth on their Facebook page the other day. Man, that got me feeling a little emotional. :blush:

Another solid run for Ryan Blaney was not quite enough, unfortunately, but it was a pleasure to see him give it his all. Wood Brothers have to be grateful for the ride he has taken them on.

What can I say about Jimmie Johnson? The way his race ended was unprecedented, by his standards. Seeing him give the guys a run for their money and making them a little nervous was what I was banking on witnessing today. Too bad that it did not happen. 2018 will be a fantastic year for Hendrick Motorsports, though! :headbang:

That's a good summary of the whole deal IMO. I hope it's over, regardless. I think it is.

I absolutely want it to be. I kind of had a feeling that if Chase had won it and made the final four, Denny would pursue him at Homestead. Not as likely, now.
On another note, as much as I hate what Denny did to Chase, part of me felt sorry for Denny when the reporters started grilling him so harshly after all that has unfolded within the last few races. Not to mention, he had just emerged to the jeers of the fans and had just lost his shot at the title. What a nasty situation to be in.

Reactions: Bob
Back
Top Bottom