Really dissapointing weekend

Cholo

Team Owner
I've seen a lot of stupid calls over the years but calling one to go and the instantly red flagging for lightning is insane. The lightning was already happening with the 8-mile radius (probably 3-5 miles out at most) before they said they were going back green.If sports governing bodies were countries, NASCAR is Venezuela.

Also TV or not should have started race at 11. Lot more fans could have stayed and seen the race and everyone knew it wasn't going to make it to 160. I know TV drives dollars but it's short sighted - turn people off going to races and it continues to lessen interest in the sport as a whole.

Someone in ormond died a few weeks ago because he was struck by lightning.

I was pulling for Kurt to win when the yellow first came out, really want him to get a win in the 1 car. That said, Ray Charles saw the storm coming and Matt McCall is the one that made the call. Kurt has 2 rain shortened wins already so he’ll be fine :p

I've seen a lot of stupid calls over the years but calling one to go and the instantly red flagging for lightning is insane. The lightning was already happening with the 8-mile radius (probably 3-5 miles out at most) before they said they were going back green.If sports governing bodies were countries, NASCAR is Venezuela.

Also TV or not should have started race at 11. Lot more fans could have stayed and seen the race and everyone knew it wasn't going to make it to 160. I know TV drives dollars but it's short sighted - turn people off going to races and it continues to lessen interest in the sport as a whole.
It is never insane to err on the side of safety - especially when lightning is striking nearby and your customers are sitting in a big aluminum grandstand fully exposed.

If NASCAR governs like Venezuela then you're a stable genius.

NASCAR is under contract to work with its TV broadcasters. If TV won't pick up the rescheduled race, or picks it up two hours after it started, how does that effect people's interest in the race? I suppose you don't remember back when NASCAR races were on ABC's Wide World of Sports, and people complaining about only getting to see short segments of a race interrupted by figure skating et. al.

I was at Chicagoland a week and a half ago and when they threw the red flag 12 laps into the race I was dumbfounded.

The storm pretty much blew in from behind the stands so from where I was sitting there weren't any dark clouds in sight.

Ten to 15 minutes later the place was wind blown to hell and drenched.

Although I was extremely disappointed the race was halted, great call by NASCAR to stop the race and clear the stands.

Back
Top Bottom