Remembering our Fallen Hero's

God bless him man. It is not lost on me that I can be this fanboi Toyota idiot because of those who lost their lives keeping all of us safe.

Sorry for your loss, The ultimate sacrifice will never not go unappreciated, thanks all living or deceased servicemen/women for your service. You’re much braver than I’ll ever be.

Wow, that hits really close to home. I hope and pray your family has healed and been able to make life as good as you can. Thank you and your family. May God bless each of you.

salute.gif

News from the Cup practice show on FS1: Mike Joy apparently plans to weave the personal stories of the fallen heroes who are riding along on the windshield banners into the 600 broadcast. I am very happy he will return to doing this. He didn't do it last year, and it was missed greatly. Mike is a master at expressing love and respect for our nation's heroes, solemn and dignified without pandering.

My grandfather served on the front lines in France in WWII --- severely wounded and suffered pain the rest of his life.
Awarded a Purple Heart, a Bronze Star, and a Silver Star.
74414_173514189327967_1166645_n.jpg

This is my grandfather -- recovering in San Fransisco from his wounds. The docs managed to save his leg, but it was touch and go.

My father was a Naval pilot in the Pacific.
149904_173514102661309_8215879_n.jpg

My dad -- he stayed in the Naval Reserve for a number of years after the war so he could fly jets. He LOVED to fly.

His brother was a bomber pilot over Germany --- 26 missions. He was lucky. He came home.

My husband served a tour in Vietnam. His brother was also there at the same time. When my husband
went over, they pulled his brother back to a hospital in Saigon. He had been serving as a medic with a Marine unit
in a combat zone.

Last edited:
My dad served in the 4th Armored Division under Patton's Third Army and also received a Bronze Star and Purple Heart for his service. They provided relief to the 101st Airborne at Bastogne and also were the first US troops to liberate a Nazi concentration camp.

Needless to say I'm tremendously proud of his service in WWII

I am so glad to hear of ya'lls families sacrifices and service. There are no finer human beings throughout history than our WWII generation. My wifes' uncle flew 25 missions on a B17 Flying Fortress, and survived! I was more than honored to serve as a pallbearer at his funeral. He lived to be 89. And thankfully, his mind was a sharp as a tack. I had a great uncle that survived Normandy, his brother was a corpsman. That generation altered the course of history. True heroes.

:salute: My Grandfather (lived to be 100 - born in 1896) was one of six boys in his family. Only one of the Hammel boys joined up for WWI...my Great Uncle AL. Being German by heritage I don't think they wanted to go over to fight Germans.

I remember family events where 5 of the 6 boys (then much older men) would be there with their families - but uncle Al never showed up. One Sunday my Mom said to Dad that we should stop by and see Al who lived alone in the country on a dirt road in basically what we would call a Shack these days. Dad agreed. Al suffered from "shell shock" from being in the trenches in WWI and even though he was only in his early twenties when he returned from the war - he never got over it. While his brothers were doing business and getting married and raising families, Al just lived alone. When we visited him Mom told me not to make any loud noises since even the bark of a dog could frighten him.

I suppose he passed away in that old house - probably alone - I had joined the navy and lost track.

Anyway - I guess the reason I wanted to post this is that many folks who didn't actually die in wars had the rest of their lives impacted - some severely. RIP Uncle AL.

Thank you to each and everyone of our heroes that gave their life for this great land we call the USA.

Back
Top Bottom