Remembering Rob Moroso

M

mreed

Seeing the Young Guns thread in the nascar section made me think of the original young gun in nascar, Rob Moroso.
Some here know who I'm talking about, but for those that don't, he won the Busch Grand National (now nationwide series) championship at 21, and was posthumously awarded the 1990 nascar Winston Cup rookie of the year.
He was in his first full season in Winston Cup when he was killed driving home from the race at N. Wilkesboro Sept.30, 1990.
His blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit when his car lost control on a curve in the road and skidded sideways. A car in the oncoming lane driven by Tammy Williams, a mother of two ages 8 and 7 stuck Moroso's car killing both Moroso and Williams.

It was a tragedy that Moroso's life was ended so young when he had such a bright future in nascar. But the real tragedy was he also took with him an innocent mother of two.

Perhaps that's why no one in nascar ever talks about Rob Moroso. But young kids often do foolish things, and this was a good example of that.
He was the first of the new breed of young drivers that are the norm in nascar's top divisions these days. I've often thought about what he may have accomplished had he lived. But those thoughts are quickly replace by the thoughts of Tammy Williams and her family as well. For me I can not think of one without thinking of the other, so it's truly a very sad story to tell.

This thread is not about praising Rob Moroso, but just one race fan remembering the original young gun in nascar, and thinking about what might have been.

Rob Moroso September 26, 1968 - September 30, 1990

LyY65Z6.jpg

lFOBzh3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post and context Gordonite

Back
Top Bottom