Repent O ye sinners!

T

TN-Ward-Fan

This just leaves me speechless. From TR.

Reality-based TV coming
to NASCAR's race tracks?
By JIM UTTER
ThatsRacin.com Writer

Officials with NASCAR and the cable network FX are gauging the interest of several Winston Cup drivers in participating in a reality-based TV show, ThatsRacin.com has learned.

Sources confirmed that FX representatives spoke with up to eight drivers last weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, inquiring about their interest in the show and the prospects of their participation. Among those contacted were Dale Earnhardt Jr., Rusty Wallace, Kevin Harvick and Jamie McMurray.

Fox and FX network officials first discussed the possibility of a NASCAR reality-based show during December's Winston Cup banquet weekend in New York.

The show, which would likely involve programming based on three drivers and their race teams, is tentatively scheduled for a Friday night broadcast and would air in the second half of this season, sources said.

That would allow FX to maintain a NASCAR presence in its programming while rivals NBC and TNT broadcast the second half of the Winston Cup season.

The first installment of the show would likely entail seven to 13 weeks of programming, the sources said.

An FX spokesperson, contacted Wednesday night, said the effort to develop the reality-based show was still in the developmental stages.

I would be surprised if any of the bigger name drivers would go along with this. Maybe a Kenny Shrader or somebody equally unimportant might though.

I read someplace that around 25 upcoming reality shows have been cancelled due to lack of ratings...I don't see it happening.....

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Mar 6 2003, 02:18 PM
I would be surprised if any of the bigger name drivers would go along with this. Maybe a Kenny Shrader or somebody equally unimportant might though.
like them or not there are NO unimportant drivers out there. It takes all 43 to run the race.

I could see some of the younger driivers doing it. Like Harvick, Mcmurray, Mears. I don't really see Rusty or Jarrett doing it. Althought that difference in ages would help cause the controversy that these shows desire.

I think it would be kinda a cool idea. Kinda like an Osborne type of show not a show like "I am Celb, get me out of here"

Sometimes I am so out of touch on certain things.

I have no clue what type of show this might even mean. It just seems that all kinds of shows are being labeled "reality" to the point where the term has meaning at all.

Please, I can't believe there are actually drivers considering it. Who here would watch if it did air?

HS I am thinking that this would probably be something like that pathetic "Celebrity Mole" that aired late last year or maybe a "fear factor or survivor" type show. I cant see any of the drivers getting involved in anything like that realistically. The schedule they have already without something like that in the mix is all encompassing. The biggest drawback is that quite a few of the participants in shows like that come away with a "scar" on their record. i.e...too whiney, too bossy, ass kisser and things like that. Drivers get labled enough already with just their Thurs-Sunday jobs, they hardly need that kind of exposure.

Kel

I do not see how this could even be remotely possible then.

Exactly when the hell during the racing season do drivers and teams have time to participate in this type of BS.

Now if by a reality show they would actually follow three teams and drivers closely druing performance of their real jobs then it would be of interest. Course it would sterilized quite a bit as anyone who has ever hung out around a WC garage will know.

Well, this is interesting. If they made it a show where they followed the drivers around in the garage area and focused more on the technical aspects and such of racing, I might watch. Drivers doing their real jobs and not some act.

But I have this horrid image of it being like the Real World. Throwing 7 drivers into a tiny apartment and letting them hash out their problems. I can picture Jr saying "Dude, you stoled my hat. That is so not cool. That is my hat. I am the only one who could look cool in it." Mikey using every opportunity to tote his sponors and someone inevitably whining over something. And just on and on. The fights, the apologizing, the anger over who was supposed to do the dishes.

Or even worse, something like I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here. Where they would be forced to earn food, fight over stupid things like whether they should have rice and beans or just rice and pasta. :rolleyes: And then whining when they are forced to endure things like bugs and *gasp* no daily beer or wine.

This is scary, now that I am thinking about it. I doubt it will happen, time is a luxury for the drivers and the celebrities who participate in these shows never come out of them looking any better. Anna Nicole, anyone? And yes, I realize I know a little too much about reality shows. And I know Anna's rep before her show was bad, but now people are really scared of her.

Back
Top Bottom