Revoking a Racing License

R

redrock

Has NASCAR ever taken a racing license away from a driver? I know CART has and the IRL makes people 'fade away', I think we all know a couple of guys that really need to be 'parked'.

Looks like all is fair in Love, War and Nascar. They make a lot of money off of fines. Don't want to get rid of trouble makers and ones who try to cheat. :D

Redrock,
In answer to your question, yes.
Drivers have been suspended in the past and at least two of the top stars of their day were suspended for life.
One of them was re-instated a few years later, the other never did make a comeback.

Originally posted by boB@Jun 2 2003, 03:02 PM
Redrock,
Drivers have been suspended in the past and at least two of the top stars of their day were suspended for life.
One of them was re-instated a few years later, the other never did make a comeback.
Names?

Originally posted by boB@Jun 2 2003, 03:02 PM
Redrock,
were these drivers members of the Drivers Union boycott of racing at Talladega?

Haven't a clue......some should have been though.

And as much as I hate to say it,one guy on the track these days is a total 'zero' in my opinion as a WC driver.His 'net' result this year is less than impressive,in fact he really hasnt done 'jack'.I know a lot of drivers would want to give him a 'whack'...at least 'one whack'.

Fortunately I have enough taste to not mention him by name.

Originally posted by 97forever@Jun 2 2003, 03:51 PM

And as much as I hate to say it,one guy on the track these days is a total 'zero' in my opinion as a WC driver.His 'net' result this year is less than impressive,in fact he really hasnt done 'jack'.I know a lot of drivers would want to give him a 'whack'...at least 'one whack'.

ROTFLMAO :lol:

Originally posted by PettyBenson4510@Jun 2 2003, 03:53 PM
Truck Driver, Brain Rose just a few weeks ago!!!
pettybenson, this one isn't over or final yet. It was called an "indefinite" suspension and not "lifetime" suspension. There is still the possibility that he will be reinstated, and even this year is possible.

Yup, 97 Forever; Revocations should be issued to that net-zero thing and anyone with the last name of Bodine within the continental United States :D

After all the years in Trucks, Busch and now Cup, I finally heard the words driver error. I wonder who was driving?

Jack is starting to get out of hand,no doubt about it.Almost scary how many times per race he can spin.Weird.Maybe personally he is a great guy(though those close to him say otherwise)but as a driver he is about done,IMO.

Originally posted by 97forever@Jun 2 2003, 08:51 PM

I have no earthly idea who that might be. :D

The two I referred to were suspended before the Professional Drivers Association was formed.
Both Curtis Turner and Tim Flock were suspended for life for trying to bring the Teamsters Union into NASCAR. Curtis was trying to borrow money from the Teamsters to continue construction of the track at Charlotte which his partner ended up with.
He was later re-instated by NASCAR; Tim Flock simply retired.

Gary Balough was suspended for dealing and transporting drugs, as were several others about the same time and Tim Richmond was suspended after he tested positive in a drug test and then refused to submit his medical records to NASCAR.
There have been others over the years, but these are the ones that come readily to mind.

In 1959 Curtis Turner and Bruton Smith went in together to build Charlotte Motor Speedway. They soon ran out of money. Turner talked the Teamsters union into loaning him the money to finish th track in exchange for trying to unionize the drivrs. Big Bill France found out and banned Turner for life and threatened to ban any driver who joined the union. The drivers backed down. Later in 1965 France let Turner back in Na$car nnd he won the first race at Rockingham (I was there).

IF......................memory serves me correctly, Gary Balough was found in possession of drugs in the seventies or early eighties and suspended by NASCAR. He managed to re-enter the series in the late eighties and rented a transporter and trailer from, the then Pennzoil team.

For some reason an inspection of the rented rig was made and turned up trace amounts of drugs. Balough's future in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series was over, forever.

This was a shame as many felt Balough was singled out. There were major concerns about the rented rig because of where and how the trace drugs were found which could have come from previous users or renters of the transporter. There was never evidence or indication found the dugs came from Balough or a member of the race team.

Gary Balough was one of the BEST shoes in the business and exciting to watch. He made a mistake, paid the penalty, and was exiled later for something he might not have been guilty of.

Originally posted by 97forever@Jun 2 2003, 04:17 PM
Jack is starting to get out of hand,no doubt about it.Almost scary how many times per race he can spin.Weird.Maybe personally he is a great guy(though those close to him say otherwise)but as a driver he is about done,IMO.
Can't he go back to busch, like most poeple want steve park to do. He has won championships in the truck series.

Ken,

I seem to recall that Gary was the kid who used to have a marjuana leaf painted on the underside of the hood of his race cars.

Wasn't he the one who referred to it as "his cash crop"?

Wasn't this about the same time that John Paul Jr., along with his father and a couple of other drivers and crewmembers were also found to be involved with drugs?

Wasn't there one year when several arrests were made during Speedweeks at Daytona?

I know he wasn't NASCAR, but I believe Kenny Weld was arrested and convicted for posession and sale of cocaine about the same time as well.

Back
Top Bottom