Richmond toughest track on IRL schedule?

P

Parkfan

http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/0626/1573323.html
Drivers prepare for Richmond short track
Associated Press

Indy Racing League drivers are nearly unanimous in their opinion that Richmond International Raceway's D-shaped, ¾-mile track is the toughest on the IndyCar schedule.

"It's very demanding, very physical," series points leader Tony Kanaan said. "A win at Richmond would mean a lot, definitely. When you win the most difficult race of the year, it's always a pleasure."

Kanaan will go to the Virginia track for Saturday night's SunTrust Indy Challenge with a 49-point lead over Scott Dixon, the only two-time winner in the six races so far this season. After you get to Dixon, though, the contenders are bunched in a big pack.

Al Unser Jr., Helio Castroneves and Indy 500 winner Gil de Ferran are tied for third, one point behind Dixon, and former IRL champion Kenny Brack is six points behind them.

"We're in position to race with the leaders for a chance at a championship," Brack said. "We have finished every race this year, and that is good for the points.

"I'd really like to win a race soon to bounce us back toward the top of the points. But, at Richmond, a driver has to be careful, too. You want to be aggressive, but you can get in trouble if you are too aggressive. There is a fine line to watch for on that little track."

Castroneves also finds Richmond a tough, unforgiving track, and there's an added element of difficulty.

"We're working with a new engine and chassis this year, so we've thrown away our notes from last season," Castroneves said. "We tested here at the end of May, and overall I think we've got a good baseline setup.

"When you're turning 16-second laps, it's difficult to find even an extra one-tenth of a second anywhere. The track is also fairly bumpy, which makes it challenging not only for the drivers but for the engineers, as well. I think it'll be an exciting race."

Back
Top Bottom