RIR gone from IRL schedule

VaDirt

Dirt Track Fanatic
Sad news (for me) this morning. ISC has opted not to bring the IRL back to Richmond.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_irl-richmond_0731jul31,0,7564405.story

RICHMOND - Peninsula fans now will have to drive a lot longer than 90 minutes to see Danica Patrick and Helio Castroneves.

After nine years of races at Richmond International Raceway, the Indy Racing League will not return next year.

Track President Doug Fritz confirmed that officials for the IRL and RIR's parent company, International Speedway Corp., could not agree to add the SunTrust Indy Challenge to the 2010 schedule.

Fritz told the Richmond Times-Dispatch that the economic downturn played a big role in ISC's decision. So did criticism of the June 26 race by drivers and fans, reduced attendance and the probable loss of sponsors, including SunTrust Bank.

Feedback mostly was negative after Scott Dixon won for the second time at RIR by finishing ahead of Dario Franchitti, his Chip Ganassi Racing teammate and pole-sitter.

"After reviewing those key factors and due to increases in cost, including IndyCar Series fees to host an event, we have made the decision, in conjunction with ISC, to not host the IndyCar event at Richmond International Raceway in 2010," Fritz said. "The IndyCar Series is a high-quality racing series and we have enjoyed hosting them at Richmond International Raceway. The series puts on good shows all over the world, but here at Richmond, we just didn't have the racing that our fans have come to expect."

Ironicaly, with the exception of this year's race, this is one of the better events on the schedule.

It's not because of the track that the race sucked, but rather the cars and the people driving them.

Was this decision based on the size of the crowd or the possible alliance between Bruton Smith and Tony George? Seems like ISC has dropped IRL races on a regular basis.

Was this decision based on the size of the crowd or the possible alliance between Bruton Smith and Tony George? Seems like ISC has dropped IRL races on a regular basis.

It definently wasn't based on crowd size. Richmond draws more fans than most of the other races except Texas and Indianapolis.

It definently wasn't based on crowd size. Richmond draws more fans than most of the other races except Texas and Indianapolis.

I dont now when they showed the crowed shot during the Richmond race the only seats sold where on the front streech near the finish line and all the other seat appeared empty.

Hey VADirt,

I read in The Sun that they're looking in to running an event in the Streets of Baltimore in 2011.

I hope the helmets are bulletproof.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom