• move up to pure stock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • move up to mini stock

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

RogueRacing#216

I am 23 years old and i have grown up going to the dirt track my whole life.My home track is A clay oval track called DUCKRIVER SPEEDWAY in Wheel,TN. I have finally got a good job,and a i am in a position in life where I can start looking into building a racecar. I have always wanted to race late model, but speed cost money and I am a rookie. I thought about building a fwd car to gain some experience on the track at a low cost. my father-in-law just gave me a 2003 Chevy cavalier 5 speed. I do not know much about working on cars or motors so before I get to invested I wanted to start small. What would the cost of running the FWD class be? With a class this cheap what are some tools and parts that would be a must have on the trailer? Am I starting out in to small of a class or for a rookie would this be a good start?

First of all, you don't drive a FWD car, the same way you drive a RWD car, so you might consider that if you think you will move up to other classes. I have no idea what the costs of running a car are, that would be a question for the competitors at the track to answer. Start in the cheapest class, that's where most inexperienced drivers start. As far as working on the car and engine, If you have any friends that have experience, maybe you can talk them into helping. Some competitors at the track might help you as far as setups, and what spare parts to bring with you. You really need to talk to the people at the track, they will have answers to all the questions you have. Good luck to you, and have fun.

First of all, you don't drive a FWD car, the same way you drive a RWD car, so you might consider that if you think you will move up to other classes. I have no idea what the costs of running a car are, that would be a question for the competitors at the track to answer. Start in the cheapest class, that's where most inexperienced drivers start. As far as working on the car and engine, If you have any friends that have experience, maybe you can talk them into helping. Some competitors at the track might help you as far as setups, and what spare parts to bring with you. You really need to talk to the people at the track, they will have answers to all the questions you have. Good luck to you, and have fun.

Thank you for the response. I wanted to start in a small class to gain the experience. I also chose the fwd class because you can't really do any modifications to the car beside throw a roll cage in it and run it. Yeah I have been watching videos and can definently tell the difference in the driving style.

Since you are a rookie to both driving and turning wrenches, and probably have a shoestring budget, the FWD car will be a fine place to start. Although the FWD car won't drive like a Late Model, nothing except a Late Model drives like a Late Model. What you need starting out is to learn how to race. If you have some talent and perseverance you will be able to adapt to different cars as you move up.

Like most racing classes, the costs can be as much or as little as you decide to invest. (You can substitute your own labor for some costs.) Make a list of work you need to farm out (such as installing a roll cage) and then ask car builders in your area what they charge… better yet, build a team of people who can do these things and instead of paying retail you might get away with a few meals and cases of beer. I suspect that you can get a FWD car onto the track for a few thousand dollars, and only spend about a hundred per week supporting it (if you don’t break)… try asking guys already racing in the FWD class what they spend. They may not be fully forthcoming, but you should be able to find the ballpark.

Basic tools: floor jack, jack stands with plates welded to the bottom (so their legs don’t sink into soft pit dirt), safety gas can, 4-way tire iron (paint the correct sized end so you know which one it is quickly), box of typical hand tools, auto test light, funnels (one for fuel, one for radiator), bailing wire, duct tape, pry bars of various sizes, heavy hammer, battery powered drill with bits, pop rivet gun with rivets, tape measure, air tank, tire pressure gauge, tire tread depth gauge, crayon that can write on tires, grease gun (if your car has grease fittings), rags. While building your car you may find that you need a special tool or to modify a tool – keep track of those.

Spare parts: extra fuses, extra (already mounted) tires, extra lug nuts, battery, oil, radiator fluid, brake fluid, brake cleaner, transmission fluid. Some cars are notorious for breaking certain parts, so if yours is prone to that (and it can be changed at the track in time to make the race) stock a few of those. Don’t forget a spare tire for the trailer.

I’ve probably forgotten something, so watch other crews to see what they use. There are some good books on racing FWD cars – look for one for racing on dirt. Circle Track magazine had some good articles (before it went under) – you might still find them archived on the Hot Rod web site. Please consider if budget limits force you to cut corners, don’t cut corners on safety gear. Best of luck!

Since you are a rookie to both driving and turning wrenches, and probably have a shoestring budget, the FWD car will be a fine place to start. Although the FWD car won't drive like a Late Model, nothing except a Late Model drives like a Late Model. What you need starting out is to learn how to race. If you have some talent and perseverance you will be able to adapt to different cars as you move up.

Like most racing classes, the costs can be as much or as little as you decide to invest. (You can substitute your own labor for some costs.) Make a list of work you need to farm out (such as installing a roll cage) and then ask car builders in your area what they charge… better yet, build a team of people who can do these things and instead of paying retail you might get away with a few meals and cases of beer. I suspect that you can get a FWD car onto the track for a few thousand dollars, and only spend about a hundred per week supporting it (if you don’t break)… try asking guys already racing in the FWD class what they spend. They may not be fully forthcoming, but you should be able to find the ballpark.

Basic tools: floor jack, jack stands with plates welded to the bottom (so their legs don’t sink into soft pit dirt), safety gas can, 4-way tire iron (paint the correct sized end so you know which one it is quickly), box of typical hand tools, auto test light, funnels (one for fuel, one for radiator), bailing wire, duct tape, pry bars of various sizes, heavy hammer, battery powered drill with bits, pop rivet gun with rivets, tape measure, air tank, tire pressure gauge, tire tread depth gauge, crayon that can write on tires, grease gun (if your car has grease fittings), rags. While building your car you may find that you need a special tool or to modify a tool – keep track of those.

Spare parts: extra fuses, extra (already mounted) tires, extra lug nuts, battery, oil, radiator fluid, brake fluid, brake cleaner, transmission fluid. Some cars are notorious for breaking certain parts, so if yours is prone to that (and it can be changed at the track in time to make the race) stock a few of those. Don’t forget a spare tire for the trailer.

I’ve probably forgotten something, so watch other crews to see what they use. There are some good books on racing FWD cars – look for one for racing on dirt. Circle Track magazine had some good articles (before it went under) – you might still find them archived on the Hot Rod web site. Please consider if budget limits force you to cut corners, don’t cut corners on safety gear. Best of luck!

thank you very much for your response it was very help full. I do have racing experience, but not on an oval, supercross racing. I already have most of those tools from when my papa passed away this year. he raced hobby stocks back in his prime, and he always believed I would be the next racer so I do not want to disappoint. I have the trailer and car. I already have it completely gutted and saving the money to get roll cage installed

Back
Top Bottom