rookies make new record

S

smack500

RICHMOND, Va. -- Though Richmond International Raceway hadn't produced a rookie pole-sitter in a decade, Friday's qualifying session was pure child's play.

For the first time in the modern era -- since 1972 -- a pair of rookies qualified on the front row for a Winston Cup Series event.

Rookies Jimmie Johnson and Ryan Newman will start first and second, respectively, and third-year driver Dave Blaney will roll off third when the Chevrolet Monte Carlo 400 goes green Saturday night at 7:30 ET.

"I think it's pretty neat that we have an all-rookie front row," said Johnson, who earned his fourth pole of the year with a 126.145-mph lap. "Hopefully we'll scare everybody behind and they'll let us go for the first few laps."

Bobby Labonte was the last rookie to earn the pole at Richmond in 1993, but no one should be surprised that Johnson achieved the feat Friday. He was a contender late in the spring event, and as the entire 2002 campaign has proven, this is not a typical rookie class.

Both Johnson and Newman have been weekly contenders since day one. Johnson has two wins. Newman won The Winston. Both rank in the top-11 in points.

How bad does each want to win rookie of the year? Extremely.

Rivalry? Naw.

"Ryan and I have a friendship off the racetrack and respect each other on the racetrack," Johnson said. "(The rookie of the year) is extremely important, especially when you're in such a tight, competitive battle.

"Ryan's racing every week for the win and we've been up there racing for wins and have a couple wins. So winning the rookie of the year battle, you're going to have to be top10, maybe top five in points to win. That's an incredible feat in itself."

Johnson's pole is all the more impressive when you consider what it signifies. With his pole Friday, he completes the cycle, so to speak.

Two of his poles came on superspeedways -- Daytona and Talladega. One came at an intermediate track at Charlotte. Now, he'll lead the field to the green flag on a short track.

"Our Fridays have been tough on us, on the Lowe's team -- from crashing in practice to qualifying poorly, we've had a hard day on Fridays," Johnson said.

"But we've always been able to rally back on Sundays and have a solid finish, so I'm really excited to turn around our qualifying program and get a pole here. This means a lot to me and this whole team."

From: http://www.nascar.com/2002/news/headlines/...wman/index.html

I don't know about ya'll but I'm just tickled pink that the rookies took 1 & 2!!!

:D

Yea, at least they won't be plowing thru the field trying to get to the front.;)

Back
Top Bottom