Rousch returns to drag racing

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
http://www.competitionplus.com/2006_03/news_dirt.html

Roush turns a circle and returns to his drag racing roots

(3-01-2006) - Jack Roush obviously is well known among NASCAR fans, and his teams have combined to win four championships, including two at the elite Nextel Cup level. Now fans of drag racing will see this same level of excellence as Roush, through his ROUSH Performance division, will field a multi-car program in the National Mustang Racer's Association (NMRA) Denso Ford Drag Racing Series during 2006.

What many people don't realize is that Roush started his career in motorsports in 1966 with "The Fastbacks," a drag program. He remained with them until they disbanded in 1970, at which time he formed a partnership with Wayne Gapp, one that eventually led to Pro Stock championships in NHRA, IHRA and AHRA. Roush remained in drag racing until 1978 when he migrated to the areas of racing he is best known for, his tremendous success in both Trans-Am and NASCAR. Though not fielding a team himself, Roush did build drag engines for other teams through 1980 before leaving the sport until now.

But during all these years Roush never lost his fondness for drag racing, and today it has become a conduit for him to enjoy some time together with his family. During the summers, the family often goes to Milan (Mich.) Dragway, on Wednesday evenings for amusement and informal test and tune sessions.

"I have never lost my love for the sport of drag racing," Roush explained. "It is where I first began my career in motorsports, and now drag racing has become a way for me to spend some 'fun time' with my son (Jack Roush, Jr.), daughter (Susan McClenaghan) and her husband (Dale McClenaghan). I have enjoyed drag racing nearly my entire life, and I am thrilled that it is now something my family can share together."

In typical Roush fashion, the NMRA program will feature up to five cars, but the goals are different than those of his stock car program. While the teams will still be ultra-competitive, these vehicles are being used for research and development for the new Competition Line of Ford parts from ROUSH Performance.

"Drag racing is one of the most extreme tests for auto parts due to the speeds, the stresses at launch, and torque on the vehicles," said Joe Thompson, general manager of ROUSH Performance. "We always strive to make the best-engineered, best-performing parts on the market and in doing so need to prove that they will work as intended. What drag racing offers is a 'real world' test lab that we could never duplicate on a computer screen or dyno.

"Furthering the development of our product line, by being at the track allows us direct one-on-one communication with the other teams and end-users for our Competition Line parts program. We can see first-hand the problems they are having, ask for their feedback, and together develop parts that we know will meet their needs, not just the ones we think they will want," added Thompson.

The ROUSH Performance team will begin the season at the 5th Annual Nitto Tire NMRA Spring Ford Nationals at Bradenton (Fla.) Motorsports Park. This event, which runs from March 9-12, will see the entire ROUSH Performance fleet participate, which includes the following cars and drivers:

Vehicle
Driver
Hometown
NMRA Class

2005 Mustang
Doug Thompson
Detroit, Mich.
Modular Muscle

2001 Mustang
Jack Roush, Jr., Livonia, Mich.
& Kyle Carrothers, Hartland, Mich.
Modular Muscle

2005 Mustang
Don Bowles
Madisonville, Ky.
Modular Muscle

2003 Mustang
Susan McClenaghan
Livonia, Mich.
Open Comp

1967 Cougar
Dale McClenaghan
Livonia, Mich.
Open Comp

The red 2005 Mustang driven by Thompson is the primary vehicle for parts testing, while the black 2001 Mustang will be the showcase for the ROUSH Performance crate engines. This car will be piloted by Jack Roush, Jr., at some events, and Kyle Carrothers in others.

Makes sense, so you might as well with his pocketbook. I just hope it yields a spot into NHRA pro stock some day.

Back
Top Bottom