Roval Bonehead

Stenhouse is a good bet. I've got a hard time believing everyone blew turn one so bad. Keselowski himself said he didn't feel like he was entering THAT aggressively and he shot in worse than anyone but who knows.

Also, any fans that believe Gaunt Bros Racing and Jeff Earnhardt got wrecked and stalled on purpose. Lmfao

Last edited:
Stenhouse is a good bet. I've got a hard time believing everyone blew turn one so bad. Keselowski himself said he didn't feel like he was entering THAT aggressively and he shot in worse than anyone but who knows.

Also, any fans that believe Gaunt Bros Racing and Jeff Earnhardt got wrecked and stalled on purpose. Lmfao

I nominate Stenhouse for bonehead of the year

Everybody in the seat and on the box who somehow thought "Old worn tires with a compound similar to concrete will be just fine going into turn 1 on a restart. Driver, you can go wide open to your marks."

I was going to have a hard time deciding between Stenhouse and Hamlin, but the drivers piling into turn 1 overrides the other two.

My take on Jimmie Johnson is *exactly* the opposite of the guys in this thread calling him a Bonehead. Jimmie is an aging veteran who has endured an awful season of pure frustration... bad cars and bad team performance and bad driving from the seven-time champion himself. He has no way to know when... or if... he will ever return to victory lane again. And then came a shot at a win. He had to choose between backing off to safely advance to the Round of 12 on points, or race for the win. He raced for the win... because he is a Racer. Watching his post-race interview, I felt great respect for his decision even though it turned out badly. It was a moment that reminded me what a privilege it has been to watch him race all these years, even though I'm not a JJ fan.

My take on Jimmie Johnson is *exactly* the opposite of the guys in this thread calling him a Bonehead. Jimmie is an aging veteran who has endured an awful season of pure frustration... bad cars and bad team performance and bad driving from the seven-time champion himself. He has no way to know when... or if... he will ever return to victory lane again. And then came a shot at a win. He had to choose between backing off to safely advance to the Round of 12 on points, or race for the win. He raced for the win... because he is a Racer. Watching his post-race interview, I felt great respect for his decision even though it turned out badly. It was a moment that reminded me what a privilege it has been to watch him race all these years, even though I'm not a JJ fan.

I just loved the fact that my favorite driver is still hungry for that win.

It pains me to say this, but but I try to never let fandom get in the way of honest assessment. At the point of the crash, Jimmie had zero chance of beating Truex to the flag anyway unless Martin screwed up. He would have been FAR better served to just tuck in behind him and try to pressure him into an unforced error. Sometimes you have to see the big picture. In this format, it's all about surviving as long as you can and hoping some breaks go your way, which is exactly how Johnson won his last championship. This Roval is just another in a long series of tracks that severely punish the drivers that have to restart in the "wrong" lane. If Jimmie could have started third, I think he would have won the race.

The Fans who have never raced but feel qualified to judge a driver who must react in 10 ths of a second.

The Fans who have never raced but feel qualified to judge a driver who must react in 10 ths of a second.
This forum wouldn't be any fun unless we all get to render our collective unqualified opinions. That's what we do.

As far as the bonehead goes, the Turn #1 contingent is an obvious answer. I'll definitely throw Double J in there as well. His move at the end of yesterday's race was certainly the one to make @ Homestead but not at this first cutoff race. Especially when he was all but assured his ticket to continue through the next round. He needed to look at the big picture. He failed to do that. It sure made for a memorable finish though. :cool:

His move at the end of yesterday's race was certainly the one to make @ Homestead but not at this first cutoff race. Especially when he was all but assured his ticket to continue through the next round. He needed to look at the big picture. He failed to do that. It sure made for a memorable finish though. :cool:
Many think he should have tried to live to race again and that includes me.
Maybe 1 more win is good for his record but a second place finish would have given his team a great boost.

I was going to say Johnson but Lew's comments changed my mind. There were plenty of bonehead moves I noticed in the short time I watched.

Many think he should have tried to live to race again and that includes me.
Maybe 1 more win is good for his record but a second place finish would have given his team a great boost.

Then he would be points racing, something still bitched about.

I like he tried to win....isn't that what we want them to do? Try?

Those others were sliding into the wall even if he had made it through or wasn't there.

I admit, the 2 was one of the boneheads but the 42, 18, 21, none of them were not hitting the wall either.
and the 24, first couple of rows and a bonus extra for 5 all together. About a fourth of the field on the lead lap hit the wall.

This.
trurn 1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom