Rudd and the Wood Bros begin testing

H

HardScrabble

Not only for this Daytona test, but Ford has rented the Kentucky Speedway every Tuesday this month starting next week for Ford teams to use. Ricky and the Wood Bros are reportedly planning multiple sessions there.

One other comment, based on budget numbers we hear for the top teams if they are not participanting in these tests at Daytona because it might cost $10,000 or even twice that, and if these tests can find a way to improve the racing and rid ourselves of restrictor plates, I am disappointed in them.

From Mulhern:

New Daytona 500 rules are scheduled to be tested at Daytona on Sept. 25, the Wednesday between tour stops at Dover and Kansas City. NASCAR officials have proposed lowering rear spoilers to increase straightaway speed while decreasing downforce in the corners. The purpose is to try to split up the drafting pack into smaller packs. None of the tour's top-10 teams made the trek to Florida for the first round of testing three weeks ago, and it is not clear if any of them will be running in this test either. Michael Waltrip, 14th in the standings coming to Darlington, was the top driver at the August test.

The Woods will be at this next test, and Ricky Rudd could be at the wheel. The Woods and Rudd will be testing themselves in the next two weeks at Kentucky and Memphis to sort out chassis designs that Rudd might like.

Why aren't more teams interested in attending the test? "We figure it costs us around $10,000 to do it, when you consider everything involved," one crew chief said. "They don't pay for anything. Why should we have to pay that kind of money to help them make their rules?"

There was an odd anomaly in one of the NASCAR restrictor plates used in the August test, according to one team there: its holes were oddly aligned.

Im surprised rud went to the wood bros, didnt seem like they had the financial backing to support a driver like him.Im glad he didnt retire though I thought he had alot more years in him.

I wonder if he and Elliott might be switching rides towards the end of the year to prepare for next year.

I would think that's a good idea. That is what Kenny Wallace is doing. Heck, Rudd can still go for the championship if he switches rides right now.

He could still go for it, but his chances are slim. He doesnt have the communication down with that team, and IMO those cars arent the best thing out on the track...

Well his communication with his current team isn't smooth right now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom