Rudd definitely not returning to RYR in 2003

A

abooja

Found this referenced on another site...

Apparently, Ricky himself posted this on his forum! What a cool guy... :)

http://rudd.netgarage.net/ubbhtml/Forum3/H...TML/019357.html

posted August 06, 2002 04:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just wanted to let everyone on the forum know that many of the scheduled press announcements have not been made by me. I am not sure where they are coming from.

One thing that is for certain is that I will not be returning to Robert Yates Racing, in 2003. Contrary to what you might have heard or read, we are working on the details of my driving contract, with another team. It is now in the hands of the attorneys. There are also contracts between sponsors and car owners that will need to be in place, which are beyond my control. Please bear with us.

Thanks for all of your support and patience.
Ricky

I don't know if I can believe that. Even though it looks like an "official site" - that doesn't look like a press release of any kind, and I have a hard time believing that an announcement like that would be made in a message board first.

Not to say that it isn't true -- I just don't think that is how word will get out.

Very Cool on Rudd's part.

One wonders who is scheduling all these press announcements. It doesn't surprise me that there are delays in getting all the details worked out in his driving contract, but I don't honestly see why an announcement could not be made as to who it is with.

It has been my experience that if you wait till all the lawyers are totally satisfied, even if Ricky is not too old to drive I may well be to old to remember him.:)

Very Cool on Rudd's part.

One wonders who is scheduling all these press announcements. It doesn't surprise me that there are delays in getting all the details worked out in his driving contract, but I don't honestly see why an announcement could not be made as to who it is with.

It has been my experience that if you wait till all the lawyers are totally satisfied, even if Ricky is not too old to drive I may well be too old to remember him.:)

If, in fact, this is Rudd himself posting -- and I think it is -- this is a pretty smart public relations move, considering the popularity of the 28 car. Just read some of those fan posts. Most of them sound like they'll be following Ricky to his new ride.

I know I will. :)

I heard on the news this morning that he is going to be in a Dodge next year. Gnassi (not sure how to spell his name) is the team I think. The problems they are having is Havoline will go with him but Havoline wants the 28. Since it belongs to RYR they have to work that out.

This may not be true but I did hear it on the news, we all know how the media can be.

Thats good for Ricky, get away from Yates. Abooja, I thought you were gonna say one of the wacky racers had replaced him in the 28 :)

I would have used the big, cheesy teeth if that were the case, g24fan. ;)

I'd like to see an announcement on a more trustworthy site, but I don't think it would be far from the truth anyway. I think we'll see Rudd again next year, and it will probably be with Team Ganassi.

Update (well, sort of). Will Rudd take the #28 and Havoline with him wherever he goes?

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/3818380.htm

Rudd saga leaves No. 28 in limbo

By JENNA FRYER
The Associated Press

The Ricky Rudd saga is filled with more twists and turns than a soap opera. There have been lies, betrayal, possible collusion and maybe even a fistfight.
When Rudd announces what he's doing next season - effectively ending his three-year term at Robert Yates Racing - the drama won't be over.

The official breakup of the team that took the famed No. 28 Ford back into the winners circle will raise many more questions.

Should the team keep giving 100 percent for Rudd or focus on the future they'll have with a new driver?

Should Rudd keep driving his heart out for this group when he's either headed to retirement or another team?

Can the team push all of it aside and compete for the championship this season?

Few have the same answer on the first two questions, but Rudd and crew chief Michael "Fatback" McSwain are in almost total agreement on the third.

"Five races ago, I would have said 'Without a doubt we could have won the championship this year,' " Rudd said. "Now, I don't think so. Performance is just off."

Just like that, a season so full of promise for a team that came so close to greatness is in shambles. How it happened might never be disclosed. No one has the same version of the events that have brought the No. 28 to this point.

This much is clear: Rudd, in his 26th season of racing, wasn't sure if he wanted to retire when his contract expired at the end of this season.

He was the closest challenger to winner Jeff Gordon in the race for the Winston Cup championship last season, running second in the chase for a long stretch of races before fading to fourth.

And he did all his bumping and banging with an aching back that required offseason surgery.

Not knowing how his back would hold up, he and Yates never talked about extending his contract. Instead, Rudd said he would decide sometime this season how much longer he wanted to drive.

This is where things get confusing.

Rudd said he promised to make up his mind by July 15th. But he claims that Yates, with an opportunity to sign Elliott Sadler to a long-term contract, got tired of waiting or never wanted Rudd back, so he began planning a future without him.

Yates insists he has no deal with the 27-year-old Sadler. And he might not - it's possible Yates' son, Doug, has an agreement to field cars for Sadler next season. Instead, Yates blames the breakup on an inability to meet Rudd's financial demands.

Back and forth they have gone, lobbing accusations and dodging questions.

In the middle of it, Yates revealed that Rudd and McSwain argued after the team's win in Sonoma, Calif., on June 23 because McSwain had a victory party while Rudd was on vacation. A fight broke out between them in the hauler hours before the Pepsi 400 on July 6.

Either way, the situation is ugly and there's still 15 races left for a team that's capable of winning races and possibly still in the championship hunt.

Rudd goes into Watkins Glen, N.Y., this weekend trailing points leader Sterling Marlin by 232 points.

"I don't like our chances," Rudd said. "Is it because we're in a lame-duck situation? I don't think these guys have let down one ounce. And I'm still on the wheel.

"I want to walk away at the end of the season and say I gave everything I've got to win a championship. That's my makeup. But I'm at the mercy of, 'Do they want to go after it?' "

"They" is Yates and the rest of the team, which starting with McSwain, is expected to remain intact with Sadler as the driver next season.

Although it's possible Yates could hold back money he would have spent on Rudd's behalf to save and use on building for the next driver, McSwain bristles at the idea the No. 28 would ever go on the track expecting anything less than a victory.

"No matter what's going on, we want to win races," he said. "We're still building good cars, still testing, still going to the wind tunnel. It wouldn't be smart for this team to do anything less."

Whatever happens, this final stretch of season will mark a final farewell of sorts. Yates has fielded the No. 28 Ford since 1989 and Texaco's trademark star has been on the hood of it seemingly forever.

Although Yates has one year left on his contract with Texaco-Havoline, Rudd says the owner doesn't want it, that Sadler is coming aboard with M&M's as the sponsor.

That's led to speculation that if Rudd drives somewhere else next year - he's supposedly close to a deal to drive a third car for Chip Ganassi Racing - he'll take the sponsor and number with him.

If true, it would mark an end to a car made famous by Davey Allison, brought to the verge of collapse in the years after Allison's death, then revived over the past three seasons by Rudd and McSwain.

The duo has won three races, come oh-so-close on a handful more, and finished in the top five in points the past two seasons.

"This whole relationship was good for me, it got my career back. It was good for Robert, he was going to close the doors on this team before he signed me," Rudd said. "Overall, I'll look back on it and remember the good things. But I'll always be puzzled over how it was allowed to disintegrate."

Back
Top Bottom