Rusty said

E

eeff

Rusty wants changes at NHIS: Rusty Wallace said he hopes New Hampshire International Speedway will make "major, major changes" following this weekend's Winston Cup race at the 1-mile oval. The track surface proved to be hazardous in two of the turns that were repaved prior to the July 21 race at the Loudon track. "They need to get started with the project as soon as they can after we run there on Sunday," Wallace said. "They're going to have to come in there and bulldoze the place; they're going to have to rebuild the track, reconstruct the turns. They need to come in there and put some banking in the turns and make it a permanent fix, not just the band-aid-type approach that's been going on there for the last couple of seasons."(Las Vegas Sun)(9-11-2002)

Finally a driver comes forward & tells it how it is !

Thank You Rusty

Remember those T-shirts, "Shut up and drive"?

Those drivers that come ready to whoop the track are going to do well, those that come to complain will fail.

If Rusty won a million dollars and you gave it all to him in $100 dollar bills, he'd bitch about it not being in $1000 dollar bills.:bawling:

Oh my a track that some drivers hate to got to, someone alert the media!!

Oh wait....guess they did already:D

I am not a BIG cRusty fan, but I agree with him. That track needs alot more work than just a BAND-AID asphalt patch work job they did last time.

Originally posted by paul
Remember those T-shirts, "Shut up and drive"?

Those drivers that come ready to whoop the track are going to do well, those that come to complain will fail.

Would you get on a track that was seeping water (as it was in Texas when the shirts came out) or a track that was falling apart and it looked like a dirt track when the race was over? Mike Skinner had two bad crashes at Texas and so did a few other drivers. And we all know the reputation that NHIS has....

I never liked the racing at that track. Lead changes happen during pit stops.
Follow the leadeer all day. Nascar should only give NHIS one race per year.

So let em stay home fergy. NHIS is a very challenging track as are all flats and semi-flats. Up to a third of a short track race under caution just ain't all that unusual.

Shucks, local boy Kurt was running 32nd at the first caution, fell 3 laps down and still came back to finish 8th at the last race there. What the shories do is equal the playing field in a way that all the rules in the book can't do.

eeff sez the cars are at their limits. Well good. That's where they should be. That's what makes for great racing, and for innovation. I mean dern, Indy cars are at the point where drivers are having vertigo problems from the G-forces. And ya know why? Because they keep stretching the limits.

Not only does NHIS let the driver cream rise to the top, it forces the teams to go places they've never been before in order to win.

And that be my kind of racing.:D

By making the track dangerous? By all means, let them push the cars to their limits, but race on a torn up track? If they are going to do that, put treaded tires on at least.

That would be like putting an NBA player on the floor with broken glass.

(Wait a minute, maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea....;) )

It the track continues to come apart like it did last spring, would that not be dangerous? It seems like most of the wrecks were in turns three and four, where the asphalt looked like gravel.

If Goodyear would bring a softer tire the track would hold just fine.

I mean you want to talk danger, talk Dega and Daytona.

but remember that the soft walls for NHIS are already bought and paid for. It ain't the track.

The track barely came apart at all. I mean I've seen tracks come apart to the point that there were holes in them. A bit of gravel less noticable than the marbles at most tracks and everybody sez the tracks coming apart?

How about spiked snow tires? Betcha that would work!:D

oh ya just put in soft walls for them to hit.

I'll say it again the tires are to soft now! There shreading & that's what's on the edge of the racing groove that if they miss the corner by an inch they slide into the wall.

Entering a flat corner at 155 mph is just asking to much of those cars & drivers. Martinsville is cool ! A 92 mph average flat track.
But to think you can get these clumsy 3600 lb cars to handle at that speed is ludicrous.

Everything those teams can think of is being done now.

you say drive them! LOL it's just not happening. Sure one or 2 cars get a set up that's better than everyone elses & can move on up thur the field. I just think Watch Dover & Rockingham on those tracks is racing. Not this follow the leader protect the bottom lane crap.

The heavy cars require the banking to hold the cars on the track. the flat track they just slide & scuff the tires off. That rubber is what's out there.

Oh enjoy the race. I'll watch cause I have a need to know. But that's not racing. That's a brake test!

:)

Originally posted by eeff

Oh enjoy the race. I'll watch cause I have a need to know. But that's not racing. That's a brake test!

:)

Ah but I will eeff:D

A race that is more than mash the gas, hold on, and turn left. And it dawned on me this morning why this hit net from a Las Vegas newpaper. Sure would be nice to have another billboard parade out here...........NOT!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

A softer tire would just allow the car to have more grip. the increased grip added to the track would cause more of the asphalt to break up. Softer tires are not the answer. If the asphalt is breaking up then it needs to be repaved, with a better grade of asphalt. Not the lowset bidder stuff.

Originally posted by 71Fan
If Goodyear would bring a softer tire the track would hold just fine.

I mean you want to talk danger, talk Dega and Daytona.

but remember that the soft walls for NHIS are already bought and paid for. It ain't the track.
Then explain why the track don't come apart at turns 1 & 2? Tires have nothing to do with it.

Poor quality asphalt, or the fact that they really didn't put any thought into the process. If it was the tires; the rest of the track would be coming apart, but it just seems to happen in turns 3 and 4. They were too worried about that wall...probably had very little $$$ left to fix the track and used some cheap contractor or grade of asphalt.

Back
Top Bottom