Rusty Wallace Racing Experiance

sdj

Just a race fan
Well, I finally took an item off my to do list that I have wanted to do for years.

Went to Desoto Speedway yesterday, in Bradenton, Fl., and did the deal.

Ran 35 laps in a Super Late Model, 15 laps first run then 20 laps second run. Have a good video off a Go Pro to keep. Ran in the mid 19's in the second 20 laps, I was pretty happy with that.

It was hot as H in the car, wow, I mean hot. Got just a little claustrophobic, helmet strapped to a hahns devise, harness so tight you can not move and your head can barely move a little to the left and right, but, when we started moving, all good.

I have a lot more respect for anyone that drives these cars.

Had a large time. :D

How do 19 second laps compare to the regulars that race there in a similar car? Is it close? Do you have a future? :)

How do 19 second laps compare to the regulars that race there in a similar car? Is it close? Do you have a future? :)

A couple of the regulars that race for real can qualify fast time at 15.80 to 15.90, race times are in the 17's and 18's.

When I finished my last 20 laps two of the instructors asked me if I had ever raced these before and I said no, but, I listened very well to the great instructions that were given before the drive. I think the 30 laps I drove, at a Petty School in Charlotte several years ago, helped with my confidence in the car sticking. Never was nervous a bit.

This is the car I drove, see below.

#61 at RR school at Desoto mid 19's 12-17-16.jpg

That's awesome! That looks like a ton of fun. I definitely have to try something like this some day. Here in AZ we have the Bob Bondurant school of driving and I have been tempted to try that, but it involves the Corvette on a road course opposed to an oval ride.

Next on my to do list is a 360 or 410 non wing sprint car on dirt. When I was little, 5,6,7, 8 years old I would go to the Tampa fair Grounds in downtown Tampa Florida (not there anymore) with my Dad to the Sprint races there in February. Talk about big balled guys, roll bars behind the driver was it, no roll cages and most of their heads were higher than the roll bars. You could watch them saw those steering wheels to hell and back making a lap.
Track was a long straightaway 1/2 mile clay and really fast. Some were running V-8 fords, others were running Offies. The flag man stood on the track to start and end the race. Great memories and set a youngster (me) into liking auto racing.
If any of you have been to the Fair Ground dirt track in Tulare, California, it was just like that only bigger.

Back
Top Bottom