SAFER testing this week

H

HardScrabble

One change I hope NASCAR can make reality sooner rather than later.

NASCAR managing director of competition Gary Nelson plans to visit the University of Nebraska this week to test a modified version of the impact-absorbing SAFER barrier that is designed to fit short tracks. Dean Sicking, the barrier's designer, and his staff have built a mock-up of the high-banked, short-radius turns at Richmond International Raceway and will hit the modified SAFER barrier with an unoccupied race car. If it achieves impact-absorbing results similar to those from the barrier's first deployment at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, SAFER could be installed at more tracks next season. The barrier was used on the inside retaining walls at Talladega Superspeedway in October

At what tracks do they plan on using these? Do you know?

I love it and hope that ALL tracks will be required to use them or just drop out of the circuit if they can't afford it!

Would a place like Bristol need them?

I know you might think so cause of the Mike Harmon crash, but the reason it was so bad was because when he hit the wall, the barrier that lets the haulers come in the track broke.

From what I read I would guess Richmond, been a couple of hard hits there.And the test is based on a mock-up of that track.

One would think that Rockingham, maybe NHIS and likely any track around that length could use the same barrier.

IMHO, if the barriers work, put them everywhere. Why wait for tragedy if ya can get one step ahead of it.

Thats a good point HardScrabble.. I agree with ya 100% on that one.

How long is it going to take before these barriers are installed at tracks like NHIS? There have been enough injuries and fatalities. I would like to see these things in place before the next season starts.

As to this issue of cost. NASCAR isn't exactly poor. Perhaps a little subsidising is in order for those tracks with smaller budgets. After all, what is the cost of one life? I'm sure the Pettys and the Irwins can tell you.

If this test goes well, I would think NHIS will be among the first in line to get them. Bahre has already stated he is more than willing to pay for them.

A further IF, should the cost become known as a factor at any track as a reason for them not being installed, you will read one of the nastiest (and rare for me) rants against NASCAR you have ever had the misfortune to encounter. Children will scream, women will faint, grown men will cry. I kid you not.

While on the subject of safety, did anyone else have the perception this season that there were more fires than normal? I'm wondering if the teams have found something in the construction at the rear of the chassis area that aids performance at a greater risk of fire. And on that subject, NASCAR should allow the GM teams to relocate their fuel pump.

My understanding was that there were questions concerning the "angle of attack" at different tracks due to the differences in turn radius. I think there were also questions regarding the effect different degrees of banking in the turns had as well.
It's not a case of "one size fits all"; the testing is still ongoing.
As far as paying to install the system, that's up to the track owners, not NASCAR, but I would hope that we see it become required at all tracks in the near future.

It will be the tracks responsibility for sure, and the radius is on the money as I recall as well.

However if cost does become an issue for a track, which is unlikely, I believe NASCAR should be willing to assist in any way to help get the job done;

HS,
The worst part of all this is that the tracks which need this system the most, the tracks which have seen the most fatalities over the last ten years, the weekly short tracks, are the ones who will be the last to be able to avail themselves of the technology.
Those are the tracks which NASCAR needs to assist with the installation of the system as they are the tracks which do not generate the amount of income which allows this type of improvement.
Is that week-end racer's life any less important than the super-star of Winston Cup?

Nascar should push as hard as possible to get those things installed at all of the tracks.

Originally posted by nascarwoman
How long is it going to take before these barriers are installed at tracks like NHIS? There have been enough injuries and fatalities. I would like to see these things in place before the next season starts.  

As to this issue of cost. NASCAR isn't exactly poor. Perhaps a little subsidising is in order for those tracks with smaller budgets.  After all, what is the cost of one life?  I'm sure the Pettys and the Irwins can tell you.

Doesn't leave much more to be said, You hit the nail on the head:)

Back
Top Bottom