Schumacher.... doesn't seem he was the best team mate

Clutch

Team Owner
I never liked the guy but have to respect his accomplishments and certainly hope that his health improves soon....but.... he sure seems like an Ass.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motor...cher-put-him-through-including-toilet-tactics

Rosberg said Schumacher virtually ignored him despite their presence on the same team. But Rosberg eventually started to appreciate Schumacher's approach and used it as a learning experience to help him win his own Formula 1 championship in 2016.

"One of his main missions was never to show that I existed in his life," Rosberg said on Beyond Victory.

"In any meetings, he would never ask, 'What was done on Nico's car?' or 'Hey Nico, what did you think?' Not once in three years. I did not exist.

"He wouldn't show me at all that I even play a tiny role in his mind at any time. It was so warrior extreme but it was a great approach. It was never exaggerated or unfair or evil, always the fine line, and every day. I learned a lot.

"With Michael I think it really came so naturally, he lived and breathed it. With me, I'm the opposite of that and I had to learn it."

I really hate what happened to him upon retiring, such a shame.

For his driving skills, they were amazing, as long as they had traction control on the cars.

This probably doesn't come close to the top 10 controversial or assholish things Schumacher did in F1 lol.

Great driver and huge figure, but like Senna and Earnhardt he's remembered more fondly because of how circumstances played out at the end of his life (I know he's still alive technically).

I'm okay with it. It's highstakes top of the mountain professional competition. I like ruthless, a lot of all-time greats have that trait imo.

I'm okay with it. It's highstakes top of the mountain professional competition. I like ruthless, a lot of all-time greats have that trait imo.
Yeah, I think the article actually says more about Rosberg than it does about Schumacher. It ain't ballroom dancing, and it ain't supposed to be. (BTW, ballroom dancing at the top level is also ruthless and cutthroat, according to my former sister-in-law, who is a professional ballroom dancer... LOL.)

Nico said he learned a lot from it so I'm not really sure what the big deal is? It even helped him in his vicious battle with Hamilton, by his own words...

He kicked Schumi's ass at Mercedes as well.

Michael Schumacher is the greatest driver of any open-wheel car on the face of the planet.

Nico learned a valuable trait from the GOAT and used it to his advantage. I see no real problem here.

Not offended at all...there’s a reason people like Schumacher ascend to the top of their professions. It’s usually a ruthless cutthroat competitiveness that gives them the edge. And I wouldn’t complain to much if I were Nico, he kicked Schumi’s ass the 3 years they were teammates. Schumacher is one of my favorite Race Car drivers ever, it was frustrating watching him those years at Mercedes. He just couldn’t finish better than 7th or 8th most weeks it seemed.

And I wouldn’t complain to much if I were Nico, he kicked Schumi’s ass the 3 years they were teammates.
Schumacher was a master of head games and the warrior mentality that Nico referred to, but in the end, he fell victim to his own warrior instincts, IMO. He was used to having a comfortable #2 as a teammate at Ferrari (Felipe Massa). He won five consecutive championships. He ruled the world...

In the summer 2006, Ferrari had an opportunity to sign Kimi Raikkonen. Alonso and Renault had captured the 2005 title and were on the way to repeating in 2006. Schumi was slow-walking the contract renewal negotiations, and he would be 38 years old... would he stay or would he retire? So Ferrari signed Kimi with an eye toward the future, and tried to keep Schumi as well.

But the 'ageing' warrior didn't see it the same way. He couldn't accept Kimi as a co-equal #1 teammate. In his mind, he was being put out to pasture. He was too proud to fight his teammate for supremacy of the Scuderia. He was the ultimate warrior, and the ultimate warrior doesn't stand equal to a teammate... he stands above, or not at all. So he retired.

As events would prove, he should have stayed. Raikkonen was not nearly as formidable of a competitor as all had expected. He was lazy, unfocused, and comfortable with his pile of money. There is no doubt in my mind who would have prevailed at Ferrari... Michael or Kimi.

After three years of retirement, Michael came out of retirement with Mercedes. And Nico kicked his ass. Three years out of racing, in a bad car, and at age 41... it was too much to ask.

[QUOTE="As events would prove, he should have stayed. Raikkonen was not nearly as formidable of a competitor as all had expected. He was lazy, unfocused, and comfortable with his pile of money. There is no doubt in my mind who would have prevailed at Ferrari... Michael or Kimi. [/QUOTE]
its funny you say that...... Hes the only one left out of Button, Schumacher, Alonso and Massa. The Partyboy outlasted them all. I wouldnt have bet that 10-12 years ago this time.

I miss him and the glory days of the prancing horse
I do too. Sebastian Vettel was touted to be the next Schumacher, and with four consecutive titles with Red Bull, then a switch over to none other than Ferrari, it was looking like a very real prospect. Unfortunately for us Prancing Horse fans, the partnership has been a damp squib overall. 2017 should have been the year that we saw them come out on top, but they let a title go begging. I really feel like if they had done better jobs of seizing their chances, not tossing away valuable points, and minimizing their mistakes, what we see now would be different. 2018 would have definitely been theirs for the taking, and it still was. However, it seems like the mechanics of Maranello, along with their drivers, remain traumatized by their past mistakes on top of abhorrent luck in some circumstances, such as Bahrain this year.

Vettel does not seem to have the same confidence and leadership as Michael Schumacher. Schumacher came into the team and took the reins along with a very good team boss, and they converted a third-place team at best to an annual title-winning team.

Great driver and huge figure, but like Senna and Earnhardt he's remembered more fondly because of how circumstances played out at the end of his life (I know he's still alive technically).

Kind of makes you believe it's better to play fair and, if necessary, lose with dignity. The three drivers we are talking about could never do that, and in the end they took themselves out.

Co-incidence, divine intervention, or black magic voodoo?

Back
Top Bottom