Season's hardest hits

H

HardScrabble

Note that these numbers are not from official NASCAR releases. From what Mr. Mulhern describes as NASCAR sources, the definition of which could be pretty widely interpreted. Any way this is what the Winston Salem Journal reported.

"Sterling Marlin is coming back from a 50-G hit at Richmond last Saturday, which he said was "the hardest lick I ever took."

But that's not the hardest hit a driver has taken this season. The top-five hits were Christian Elder's death-defying 82-G crash at Chicago, Johnny Benson's 70-G crash at Richmond, Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s 68-G hit at California, Derrike Cope's 64-G hit at Richmond, and Bobby Hamilton's 58-G hit at Richmond, according to NASCAR sources.

The G-force of Mike Harmon's dramatic crash at Bristol was cut to "only" 36-Gs because the destruction of the car when it sheered in half dissipated a considerable part of the impact."

Hmmm, no punches landed by Tony on the list? What kind of reporter is this? And where's Harvick???

At 82 G's a 180 lb man would exert 14,760 lbs of force against his seat and shoulder belt. This is one of the reasons the belts should be replaced every two years (NASCAR rule). Routing and condition of safety belts should be a major concern to increase thier effectiveness.

Christian Elder was a bad wreck waiting to happen. You could always count on him wrecking in a race, each time taking out more cars when he made a mistake. Luckily after that 82 G (WOW) hit, he decided he would call NASCAR quits and race in another series before he killed himself in a wreck. Good move on his part, I wish him the best of luck racing that BMW in that other series (I forget the name).

Overall, I am surprised by the G's these drivers are taking in these wrecks. You wonder how people could survive something like that, and to be good enough to get back in a car the next week and race again.

No mention on the number of G's Steve Park took when he got hit in the driver side by Larry Foyt. I thought that would be up there, but i guess they didn't record that.

Back
Top Bottom