Senna discussion

kyle18fan

Proud member of Rowdy Nation
Contributor
That's what will happen on Sunday, regardless. I don't know how the sanctioning body can feel that the cars are as safe as they can be with all of the tinkering, but I am choosing to be blindly trusting that Tinker A does not lead to something bad...but I am working really hard at trying to convince myself of that. It doesn't take much. On the anniversary of Senna's death, it is important to realize that a very small amount of air pressure in four tires took arguably the greatest driver in motorsport history from us....and F1 is all about tech, and these details.

Senna was a God

Senna knew the meaning of pure racing, I cried when he was killed

I was drawn to racing by F1. Thought it was weird. Required me to get up at 4 a.m. I'm a middle kid, so it was my thing. When I watched Senna die, I just stared at my TV. Then, later that day when Dale mentioned Senna, I knew that Senna was huge because Dale mentioned him. You feeling me here? Greatness acknowledging greatness....Probably the only thing Dale and Senna had in common was greatness. I don't believe that Senna viewed racing as a talent, sport, or event----He viewed it as a spiritual awakening. It was emotional for him. I was thinking about that this morning as I was watching WRC and listening to drivers talk about "enjoying their driving." I would like to hear all drivers talk like that. Maybe it would influence perception in these driver-centric times.

I was drawn to racing by F1. Thought it was weird. Required me to get up at 4 a.m. I'm a middle kid, so it was my thing. When I watched Senna die, I just stared at my TV. Then, later that day when Dale mentioned Senna, I knew that Senna was huge because Dale mentioned him. You feeling me here? Greatness acknowledging greatness....Probably the only thing Dale and Senna had in common was greatness. I don't believe that Senna viewed racing as a talent, sport, or event----He viewed it as a spiritual awakening. It was emotional for him. I was thinking about that this morning as I was watching WRC and listening to drivers talk about "enjoying their driving." I would like to hear all drivers talk like that. Maybe it would influence perception in these driver-centric times.

Sadly, I can't bear to watch F-1 after the NA screamers went away. Senna raced in the zone, he was with the racing Gods, there was nothing else

Sadly, I can't bear to watch F-1 after the NA screamers went away. Senna raced in the zone, he was with the racing Gods, there was nothing else

Oh hell yes. I loved the Ferrari V-12 of the 412 T2. It made no sense, but OMG what a piece!
I trust you have seen the in-car of Senna behind the wheel of the Honda V12 in Qualifying at Monaco? Oh dear God. If that man wasn't at one with the Lord on that drive, God is not a race fan....and we all know He is.

I remember that day well! Same day Mark Martin flew through the fence and hit the inside armco barrier at Talladega. The passing of Senna in 1994 was an extremely sad day for the world of motorsports. Everyone was just in shock over such an iconic figure. Like you, I recall waking up early on a Sunday to watch F1 races. Nigel Mansell, Shumacher, Gerhard Berger, Jean Alesi, Senna and Mike Hakkinen were names of my youth. When Michael Andretti went to to F1 the locals in his home town were in shock....

Oh hell yes. I loved the Ferrari V-12 of the 412 T2. It made no sense, but OMG what a piece!
I trust you have seen the in-car of Senna behind the wheel of the Honda V12 in Qualifying at Monaco? Oh dear God. If that man wasn't at one with the Lord on that drive, God is not a race fan....and we all know He is.

The video is one of my favorites of all time

The video is one of my favorites of all time

It is so awesome that it transcends my hatred for Honda. Senna was so incredible that he made Honda okay with me. Just get your head around that!

I was too young to see Senna race, I have hazy memories. I did have his Sega Game Gear game and that’s how I knew who he was. I knew he was the best driver in the world but I was more in tune with NASCAR and CART at that time. I wasn’t really into F1 until Schumacher went to Ferrari in 96. The Senna documentary is just a masterpiece, my wife and I cry at the end every time we watch it. For someone who doesn’t know who he is, watch that it will bring you up to speed immediately. I wish Senna would have driven for Ferrari, a missed opportunity. I am super excited he’s going to be in the new Formula 1 game though, can’t come soon enough.

I've seen a lot of videos of Senna, I wish I got the opportunity to see him race. I like Prost's cool and calculated approach more IMO, may not be as flamboyant, but still he was amazing.

I've been a fan of F1 before Senna, during, and after Senna. He was a great driver. He was all in, all the time. But he wasn't a god IMO. He was a lot like Earnhardt... a great driver who got away with a lot of dirty driving. I respected him, but I would have respected him more if he had practiced better ethics.

@Snappy D ... I think Senna was too toxic to be effective in Scuderia Ferrari of that era, would not have worked IMO. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
I remember well when Senna came into the series. There was something different about him. You knew he was going to turn F1 upside down. We must never forget the weekend Senna died we also lost Roland Ratzenberger in a practice crash.

I remember well when Senna came into the series. There was something different about him. You knew he was going to turn F1 upside down. We must never forget the weekend Senna died we also lost Roland Ratzenberger in a practice crash.

Senna was sitting on Roland's flag if I recall correctly

Terry Griffin, who covered Senna's F1 career in the 1980s and 1990s, shares stories of the legendary Brazilian driver taken from his interactions with the three-time world champion, and deep insights gained up close in the corners where he bore witness to Senna's mastery from behind the lens. Telling detail from San Marino race pictures. (1:25:00 mark)
https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-ckvd3-afbc37#.XMssHpBj4uM.twitter

And it became a bitter rivalry at that ! I remember this happening.

Wow. Senna crashes Prost on purpose and then talks about other people's "bad behavior." Notice how Mansel (who left Williams to avoid being Prost's teammate again) was stone cold silent and stared off into the distance during Senna's reply!

Not to speak ill of the dead, but criticizing poor sporting and/or dangerous behavior is fair game. Don't get me wrong, Senna was ok when he wasn't chopping, blocking, swerving and crashing people on purpose. Until Senna, we never saw anyone chop block on the straights. This began at Estoril '88, and every race since has been a non stop highlight reel of drivers swerving around like they are drunk on their ass. Now it's standard procedure, so it's not like Senna left a better sport behind him. All this hero worship of a guy who made dirty driving mainstream seems a bit off to me.

Of course, people love a winner and they forget all of this stuff, kind of like they forget Adelaide 94 and Jerez 97 and the rest of Schumacher's considerable bag of dirty tricks. Part of the reason overtaking is so impossible is you never know when someone is going to swerve the entire width of the straight to block and try to kill you. If you can't trust other drivers, you can't race them, or at least you would be stupid to try. The reason F1 is such poor sport is because drivers like Senna and Schumacher got away with such dirtbaggery and lowered the standard so much that any time you try an overtake you have to expect a dirty trick.

As far as I can tell, this was the very first time anything like this had ever happened and now it's every race.

Back
Top Bottom