Seven million

A

Alaska

dollars plus is the prize money for the Brickyard 400. Does anyone know what the breakdown is?

Thanks

Is the winners share over a million yet? It was like 800K when Bobby won it...

Is there a web page that lays it out?

nascar.com probably has one but it's well hidden.

Thanks, Awesome, but I was hoping to see a breakdown of this year's prize money. I think it is considerably more that 2001.

The money breakdown from the total purse listed is very complicated and the distribution changes from race to race. To list how the whole deal works would take pages and pages. Following gives the general outlines for money listed in the toal purse and its outlay. Not crystal clear, but the best I can do right now. If I come up with better info I'll try to post it.

With the exception of the contingency awards, such as the Busch Pole Award or the Gatorade Half-Way Award, every nickel, dime and penny listed in the purse is paid out by the track. However, tracks don't simply pay out the purse in descending order, according to who came in first through 43rd. Some of the money is paid that way, of course. But other money is set aside and paid out as point fund money and plan money, as directed by NASCAR.

Point fund money is each track's contribution to the Winston Cup Series championship point fund. R.J. Reynolds, through its Winston brand, guarantees the champion a check of at least $2 million at the end of the season. For each event, the promoter is required by NASCAR to contribute a percentage of the purse to the year-end point fund. While this amount is included in the announced purse, it is neither paid out as part of the purse nor shown on the official payout for that race.

R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. will double the season points fund for the top stock car series to $10 million for the 2000 season. The series champion, who received $2 million from the $5 million point fund in 1999, will be awarded $3 million. R.J. Reynolds first introduced the point fund in 1971, when the top 25 drivers split up $100,000. Champion Richard Petty's share was $40,000. The point fund has been raised 17 times in the intervening years, making a big jump from $750,000 to $2 million in 1986. Rusty Wallace, the 1989 champion, was the first to collect $1 million.
The point fund money from each track is split between the car owners and the drivers, and paid out at the banquet in December. So, when the champion receives his check and it's larger than $2 million, a good portion of the extra money has come from the track's contributions to the point fund.

NASCAR plan money is the variable that causes the most confusion in trying to figure out why some drivers tote home more money than others. Plan money is broken down into three categories: Winner's Circle Plan, Car Owners' Special Plan 1 and Special Plan 1c.

The Winner's Circle Plan is the most prestigious of NASCAR's plan money. At every event, it pays money to the top ten race winners from the previous season and to the first two new race winners of the current season, who are not already on the plan.

The Car Owners' Special Plan 1 pays extra money to car owners, but is included in the drivers' winnings from each event. Plan 1 money is paid to the owners of the top 30 teams in points from the previous year until the completion of the fourth race of the current season. At this point, the money is allocated based on the top 30 car owners after the fourth race.

The final program is Special Plan 1c. Money from this plan is available to teams in the top 40 in points, whose drivers are not on the Winner's Circle Plan. Money is not paid to each of these top-40 teams at every race, however. At each event, only the top 19 finishers eligible for Plan 1c money actually receive funds. Plan 1c participants are evaluated every 11 races, so the eligibility list changes twice each year.

In addition to NASCAR plan money, drivers receive television award money and contingency awards. All of the monies are included in the "official" purse total so breaking a percentage to first, second, third, etc. place finishers is virtually impossible.

Well you can bet the 71 car has every last sticker it can get pasted on the front fenders. A couple hundred bucks from Joe's Spring Rubbers is very important to the backmarkers. Most stickers pay in the 1 to 2 hundred dollar range I think.

Back
Top Bottom