Shaving Old School

Bobw

Team Owner
Got one of these recently, a Merker, and a package of 21 assorted blades. .Even the lowest quality double edge beats my Gillette twin blade and a Mach 3. A pack of 100 Wilkinson's is under 20 bucks.
Just got tired of paying the high cost of blade refills that I think don't give a decent shave anymore. The quality has gone down IMHO.

I switched to wet shaving a few years ago. I also started with a Merker safety razor. But each year I've ended up getting a better razor so I'm not saving any money (currently using an expensive Jagger - best feel so far). You do get a better shave. It took a few cuts to get the hang of it but I survived. I also like using a brush and Proraso shaving cream, it only takes a few seconds to get lather. I change blades every 5 shaves (you can get more depending on blade quality and your tolerance). I still occasionally use my Mach3 (the blade lasts forever now).

On a side note; I had stumbled across the Art of Manliness site which got me interested in wet shaving:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/

I've never understood the idea of multiple blades. If the first one didn't get the hair, how are the next 17 going to get it when they're all aligned? When I was a kid, I had a razor like that. Dad always used that style too. Only style that ever made any sense to me ... not that I ever shaved more than a couple of times a year. But calling that old school? Phaw. You want old school, get your ass to a "Barber". A real, old time, pole out front barber. They're making a big comeback with the hipsters and THAT, my friend is a real old school shave. Hot towels, hot lather, big ass chair laid back and a guy in a white smock and hands steadier than a surgeon. You know you're in the right place when you see the leather strop hanging from the side of the sink. Wimmenz have their spa days with mud packs and cucumbers on their eyes .... men have .. a professional shave.

My son goes to a ''real'' barber every couple of weeks and gets his beard and hair trimmed. I have two of my grandfathers straight razors. Local barber put the edge back on them. Damn they're sharp. I'm fraidy scared to put one up against my throat..:),,

Disposables I can only use Bic single blade. Two and three blade rip the whiskers out. Intense pain.

I am shaving every third day in order to give the assortment of blades a decent test to see which I like best. I have a average beard. If I skip a day shaving it looks like I skipped a day shaving. on my third day I get directions to homeless shelters..:)

Now, I tried a Gillette platinum today. Bites the big one, terrible IMHO and they're supposedly among the best in the Gillette line. Made in Russia btw. ,

I bought one of these antique razors and they are supposed to be quite good. I'm scared to try it though.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1465592483.323395.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1465592498.376756.jpg

The sharpest blade in the world is nothing to fear compared to what wimmenz use on their whatsits for hair removal. I offer for your terror ... the Epilady.

If this doesn't make your testes run and hide ... you're either a braver man than I ... or just plain stupid.

I bought one of these antique razors and they are supposed to be quite good. I'm scared to try it though.
That is wild. The vid showed how to hone and strop the blade, but I couldn't figure out how the blade is used. Is it like a mini straight blade?

Rolls Razor.jpg
That is wild. The vid showed how to hone and strop the blade, but I couldn't figure out how the blade is used. Is it like a mini straight blade?
The Rolls Safety Razor product was a sophisticated safety-razor which came in a metal box designed to allow the blade to be stropped against the lid and thus was not disposable, but unlike the straight razor it incorporated a safety guard and its size was closer to the early Gillette double blade disposable razor.

This is not my razor. Mine is pristine.

I switched to wet shaving a few years ago. I also started with a Merker safety razor. But each year I've ended up getting a better razor so I'm not saving any money (currently using an expensive Jagger - best feel so far). You do get a better shave. It took a few cuts to get the hang of it but I survived. I also like using a brush and Proraso shaving cream, it only takes a few seconds to get lather. I change blades every 5 shaves (you can get more depending on blade quality and your tolerance). I still occasionally use my Mach3 (the blade lasts forever now).

On a side note; I had stumbled across the Art of Manliness site which got me interested in wet shaving:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/

great link, great read. Many thanks

I think there is a recent move to return to the roots of shaving. With the high end "man salon" Tommygun guys are being (re) introduced to the pleasures of a hot shave and a stellar cut. I went to tommyguns and REALLY enjoyed the experience. My issue is with a teenager and a infant its hard to squeeze in time for shaving... :(

No self respecting man would allow the shaving of a whatsit or who-ha. It's his job to wear that hair done to a bare, [bare get it?] , nub.

I had a full beard in my 20's. I used an electric razor for a long time but it didn't cut very well after a 2-day weekend growth. I switched to the Mach3 and Barbasol which worked well. Now I prefer a safety razor.

Ying Jili blades. Japanese, Chinese, ? who knows? 5 came in the assortment I got. Damn I don't think I have ever gotten a better, closer shave! i:D

We all have different beards and skin so I'm planning on trying a large assortment before finalizing. These Yinh JiLi blades are great but who knows, there might be others even better out there!
I think that's why these assortment packs are great.

I'll leave it to our resident wimmenz to discuss the difference between a whatsit and a who-ha

All I know is that between being bikini ready plus arm pits and goodness knows what else I am glad I am not a woman.

Back
Top Bottom