Should Darian Grubb be on the hot seat?

3wideinturn1

Team Owner
We all know that Denny's injury has played a big part in the poor performance. However I find it curious that he was able to post a couple good finishes right after he came back when presumably his injury was still very fresh. Since then has been struggling mightily and running no where near where he usually does even at some of his best tracks.

Question for you guys is how much of this lack of performance falls on Grubb? Seems like they've been consistently missing on the setups, what do you think???

Not in my opinion. This one belongs to Hamlin.

I would give it mostly to Hamiln. Remember they were running well before the injury. However, if they struggle next year, I could see Grubb being let go.

Hamiln just sounds tired and defeated right now.

grubb has his championship,Hamiln is the one looking for one.

lack of performance falls on TRD. and Hamlin. he has been qualifying well, so when he concentrates, his Grubb prepared car does just fine, but he is making stupid mistakes in the races. Spinning out, heating up his tires and hitting the wall, running into other cars. He pretty much sucks this year. The crew isn't going to get excited with a driver like as Stewart Fan says their mind isn't in the game.

are you serious?!?!?!? its utterly crystal clear this is on denny. when you see the guy wreck because of a poor downshift on a track he owned like pocono you know his head is not in it. not only is grubb not at fault IMO denny should be taken out of the car. The guy has mentioned back pain so bad he can barely stand up. hard wrecks do get into these drivers heads especially when you have had several like denny has had close together.

Please let him go so he can be Gordon's crew chief.

Alan sucks balls.

Grubb is madly underrated. I'd take him in in half a second.

Denny is the least talented of the Gibbs drivers and its his lack of ability that's get them where there at.

Hell no. Last year they did well but fell to mechanical issues. This year is all Hamlin. It can't be easy mentally for him.

Denny is the least talented of the Gibbs drivers and its his lack of ability that's get them where there at.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. He has been the only one to make a real run at the championship so far. I'm no fan of Hamlin either.

Please let him go so he can be Gordon's crew chief.

Alan sucks balls.

Grubb is madly underrated. I'd take him in in half a second.
Didn't everyone say the same thing about Steve Letarte who has taken a mediocre 88 and had him sitting at the front of the standings all year. I don't think the 24s problems are because of Alan, ever since Chad and his driver started owning the COTs, Jeff has been a shadow of himself

I am starting to think that jeff gordan benefited from a huge equipment advantage with the old cars. I think with the old cars money could buy speed alot better than today.

Didn't everyone say the same thing about Steve Letarte who has taken a mediocre 88 and had him sitting at the front of the standings all year. I don't think the 24s problems are because of Alan, ever since Chad and his driver started owning the COTs, Jeff has been a shadow of himself

Eh I think Jr. is benefitting from all of Gordon cars/setups/pit crew.

Those guys took all of Gordon **** when they made the swap.

And I always thought Letarte was just good enough for top ten which he did with Gordon and is now doing with Jr.

Last edited:
I am starting to think that jeff gordan benefited from a huge equipment advantage with the old cars. I think with the old cars money could buy speed alot better than today.

LOL what?

Its all about aero with these new cars. Today you need to hit the setup 100% or you'll be out to lunch. Not to mention that if you get stuck in traffic, heck even if you're somewhere in the top 10 you are not likely to take the lead straight up because you just cant pass with these things.

What you say makes no sense because Hendrick is one of the team if not the most team with the most resource and money.

I think you have been playing NASCAR the game for too long. lol

Eh I think Jr. is benefitting from all of Gordon cars/setups/pit crew.

Those guys took all of Gordon **** when they made the swap.

And I always thought Letarte was just good enough for top ten which he did with Gordon and is now doing with Jr.
Eh.. Aside from 07' Gordon wasn't that successfully with Latarte.. Now his magical setups are behind Dale's success? In addition, do you think Godron would allow Alan to set the car up with something he doesn't want? I'm not saying he should retire but I'm sure it stings his ego to know he's the #4 driver at HMS

Eh.. Aside from 07' Gordon wasn't that successfully with Latarte.. Now his magical setups are behind Dale's success? In addition, do you think Godron would allow Alan to set the car up with something he doesn't want? I'm not saying he should retire but I'm sure it stings his ego to know he's the #4 driver at HMS

Are you serious?

They had moderate success together. They just didn't have quite enough to challenge for the championship on their run together.

10 wins, 78 top 5s, 113 top 10s, 15 Poles 4,397 laps led, top 10 in points all 5 seasons together.

Not successful you said? Take that for what it is.

And given the fact Jr. was nowhere to be found before the swap I'd say yes, the setups and cars from Gordon was a huge boost to that team.

It doesn't really matter whether Gordon wouldn't allow Alan to put anything he doesn't want or not. They just dont have speed and you need speed for the setups to work.

Alan sucks getting setups right but when he does Gordon usually ends up winning or getting a good finish out of it.

As far as his ego goes, who knows, he sure doesn't seem to care either way so eh.

Grubb should not be on or anywhere close to the hot seat. Denny is clearly not mentally back from his accident IMO, or physically. It was a lost season for him and I don't understand why he rushed back.

Seems like the general concensus is that he shouldn't be, which isint entirely unexpected.

I started to wonder about Grubb after reading an article (cant find link sorry) about how Denny felt they were behind on their "back down" setups and prior to Michigan they were going to sit down and rework strategy. Well that got them a 20th place if I remember correctly, and that got me thinking maybe it's Grubb's setups and strategy that's putting Denny near the back.

Let me be clear though, Denny has definitely cost himself some good finishes there's no question he's making mistakes, but I do think that perhaps it's time to take a look at the entire 11 team as a whole for their poor performance.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Denny or Darien . Anybody who doesn't think they will make the chase next year ?

I don't think there is anything wrong with Denny or Darien . Anybody who doesn't think they will make the chase next year ?

I don't think it's a sure bet like it has been in the past. Will Denny have enough recovery time in the offseason to be back to where he needs to be? I'm not so sure, and given their performance the past 3 months I feel they have other issues to deal with besides his back.

It's hard to say, but it's certainly not a sure thing. It all depends on whether Denny can recover both physically and mentally.

lack of performance falls on TRD

Got to disagree with you, SOT. Don't see how you can blame the powerplant when his teammates are 5th and 6th in the points and there is another 'Yoda 2nd in points.

It is not in good form to kick a man when he is down. But when evaluating Hamlin and Grubb in terms of performance, I see all of the liabilities belonging to Hamlin.
In a simple sentence his little twitterworld has overtaken his driving in 2013 , and that isnt an attempt at humor.

He was fast at the begining of the season and in sync. Then he got into a needless dispute with Logano by taking him out at Bristol, and followed the idocy by dismissing him as child after Logano was justifiably upset over the matter (and Hamlin did admit to intentionally hitting him at Bristol).

I am not happy about Hamlin's following injury at California, drivers are people too and the man is a Father as well. It usually doesn't produce such a profound event, but there still was a chain of events that led to the misfortune. The personal injury again was a terrible thing, no one should take pleasure in the thought.
But the lack of chemistry and Funk was initiated by a series of immature events. Denny wanted to own Joey with the m.o. of a juevenille bully, and regrettfully he is paying a price.

There is no way to connect the following breakdowns to Grubb, who was professional enough to work with Stewart toward a chase championship, in spite of knowing it was his last assignment. Grubb is a good CC, but that doesnt mean he should be Hamlin's prozac, or back doctor, that is something that only Denny can resolve.

Hamlin should take a page from Tony and get out of the car now and have whatever back surgery done that's needed, heal, do the PT and come back strong and healthy in Feb to Daytona.

Hamlin should take a page from Tony and get out of the car now and have whatever back surgery done that's needed, heal, do the PT and come back strong and healthy in Feb to Daytona.
Difference is, Tony had no choice. I'd bet that if it were an injury that he could race with Tony would be in the car.

Got to disagree with you, SOT. Don't see how you can blame the powerplant when his teammates are 5th and 6th in the points and there is another 'Yoda 2nd in points.
He has had 5 crashes this year, not to mention crashing others..Most of that is Hamlin's fault. He also has finished 3 races laps down running slow that I say is TRD's has performance problems with their engines. bush has had two engines blow up, Kenseth has had 2 explode, Boyer has had 1, so has Truex. So if you think TRD is so great..where would these guys be if they didn't blow up? At Michigan, a big engine track, only one Toyota was in the top 14, so all the talk about toyota TRD turning up the power looks to be nothing but B.S. hype.

people saying latarte has made junior so much better is true but considering he was coming from lance mcgrew why wouldn't jr be better. I haven't seen anyone rushing out to hire mcgrew, I think he is working for an ARCA team these days or something. I stand by what I said in that I think JG had a huge equipment advantage for all those wins. just like jr had a huge equipment advantage as well when he had all those wins.

Latrate has improved Jr imo. He went from the 20s to teens. That's really good.

And its all Denny's fault.

Back
Top Bottom