SI top 20

W

Ward Burton

In the Feb. 10, Sports Illustarted magazine they had the Nascar preview and listed their view of the top 20 Winston Cup drivers:

1. Ryan Newman
2. Tony Stewart
3. Jeff Gordon
4. Kurt Busch
5. Matt Kenseth
6. Jimmie Johnson
7. Sterling Marlin
8. Jeff Burton
9. Mark Martin
10. Rusty Wallace
11. Dale Jarrett
12. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
13. Bobby Labonte
14. Ricky Craven
15. Johnny Benson
16. Kevin Harvick
17. Ward Burton
18. Bill Elliott
19. Michael Waltrip
20. Joe Nemechek

Agreements, dis-agreements?

Sorta surprise to see Newman at the top. But he is good.

Newman may be a top 5er, but definitely not the best. I see a tie for first with Jeff and Tony. One being the winningest active driver and one being the defending champ. Other than that, I think it is pretty accurate. And Dale Jarrett should be a smidge higher too.

Be interesting to drag this up at the end of the year.

I don't realy agree with Joe. Nothing against him, I like him, but I don't think he is one of the top 20 drivers in NASCAR.

I truely think Kyle will be in the top 20 this year!!!
I like it all but the top 6, it needs to be shuffled a little with Busch as the champion!

Where is Ricky Rudd? He was top 10 in points last year but he doesn't make the list? Newman is a good driver, but defending champ Tony Stewart should be #1.

Originally posted by gordon24fan@Mar 2 2003, 03:34 AM
Where is Ricky Rudd? He was top 10 in points last year but he doesn't make the list? Newman is a good driver, but defending champ Tony Stewart should be #1.
I would think Rudd would be at least top 15. I also think Tony should be #1.Nemechek in the top 20? Don't agree with that one.

Normally I never look at SI since they are the 'National Enquirer' of sports journalism, but it's nice to see them recognize something other that a 'ball & stick' sport.

Back
Top Bottom