Single Car Qualifying ? What gives?

So I guess the drivers finally gave up on the silly idea of group qualifying?

Thank gods.

There were at least 3 cars on the track qualifying. . . . . .sometimes 4. . . . . .at one time. As a car finished his qualifying run and dropped to the apron, a new car came on the track starting their qualifying run. One after the other throughout each Round.

It saves time simply due to the fact that inspections are taking up all the time in order for cars to pass inspection and make it to pit road to qualify. :sarcasm:

Isn't it dependent on the Track? On superspeedways it is best to group qualify, but on other tracks, a car runs faster in clean air and alone..........they are all still under the same clock time to get their lap in, so I don't think the rules have changed. But, that may just be me.

Isn't it dependent on the Track? On superspeedways it is best to group qualify, but on other tracks, a car runs faster in clean air and alone..........they are all still under the same clock time to get their lap in, so I don't think the rules have changed. But, that may just be me.
Yep, track dependent. The teams aren't really doing anything different than last year but NASCAR did alter the rules for group qualifying at all tracks for 2015.

Qualifying Changes in 2015: the formats for qualifying has been shortened at all types of tracks, mostly to cut the length of time in the first segment. Teams in 2014 were sitting on pit road trying to time when to run a hot lap, and NASCAR wanted to eliminate the waiting.

The first segment on short tracks and intermediate tracks will be 15 minutes, followed by a break, then 10 minutes, a break, and a final 5-minute session.

At superspeedways, the field will be divided into two groups for the first 5-minute session, followed by two more 5-minute sessions.

Road course qualifying will consist of one 25-minute session, followed by a 10-minute session.
The Daytona 500 front row qualifying will be done in groups.

It kinda reminds me of bump day at Indy where a car goes out gets a time and gets in line for another run if they are close to getting bumped. I think it works better time-wise than one car at a time (and it is still one car at a time). I think it works on the 1.5 mile tracks but the process might need adjustment for large and small tracks. I wouldn't want to see a driver mess with another driver's run; but it occurred to what would happen if someone tried that. I did not like the fiasco at Daytona.

It kinda reminds me of bump day at Indy where a car goes out gets a time and gets in line for another run if they are close to getting bumped. I think it works better time-wise than one car at a time (and it is still one car at a time). I think it works on the 1.5 mile tracks but the process might need adjustment for large and small tracks. I wouldn't want to see a driver mess with another driver's run; but it occurred to what would happen if someone tried that. I did not like the fiasco at Daytona.
the powers that be needed their head examined to try that on a restrictor plate track. The fan in the stands even knows that they would be pack racing, bump drafting and wrecking. It gets pretty stupid when the "show" is more important than racing.

Question , so at that track ,on that day , two (or more ) cars drafting could not have gone faster than a single car? And , in the race , we will not see any slingshot passes ?

If they thought so they would have done it IMO. I think we will see plenty of passing, but the car in front will always have the advantage of clean air..but if the handling goes away, they will get passed. That's my guess anyway. Nascar is making these cars so identical it is like a huge IROC race IMO. I don't think it is a bad thing, hope it works out and they have a barn burner race.

That was good to see them lined up taking their turn.

They ought to make a point and do this every week.

It was good to see Gordon actually handle his business and make a run, his recent failure to do so pegged out the whine meter :rolleyes:

I watched the qualifying this morning via DVR, thought it was a great session myself.

There were a lot of twitchy cars and that in itself made it all the more interesting, because they all managed to hang on and get'r done.

They used their heads and spaced out on the track so as not to interfere with each other and get a good solid lap. SMART!

125HP less and set new track record, way cool.

Or even last weekend, I didn't notice anything different at Atlanta?
Yeah... the drivers have done that from day 1 lol... other than at plate tracks I dont think I've ever seen a driver pass someone else in qualifying... because they space it out for everyone to get a clean run... I don't get how this is just now being noticed by some ppl lol

Back
Top Bottom